It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious about some flat screen monitors. Why some work and why some don't.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
OK, I have a flat screen monitor that works with the computer I use, but I got a new bigger one and I changed it out. So, I tried to put the other flat screen on to my Emachines, and onto the other computer that the child uses, but for the life me it won't work with either computers when I hook it in. Shouldn't that monitor be working with both computers? I'm not understanding why it's not. It's a Dell monitor. One of the small ones.

Thanks, see you after class. Have a good day all.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Should work on both, maybe broken, or maybe the resolution is to high in the display settings for the screen

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
lcd monitors normally have a smaller range of resolutions & refresh rates than crt monitors and generally if they dont like what they see they just go black and refuse to play so try seeing if booting into safe mode and deleting the monitor from device manager will work as it will force the os to start at vga resolution and poll the monitor for info and should be enough to allow you to install any monitor drivers etc

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Does it work at all. It should give you something during the boot process. If it is a frequency issue it should/may work during boot and shut down after the operating system takes over.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Do you still have the old monitor? You may need to reconnect it and
set a lower frequency for the LCD. They usually are at 60Hz while a crt
can be anywhere from 50 to .. I dunno these days.

But the LCD will need less, depending on how old it is.

60Hz should be good if it isn't dead.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Could be your video card is out of date, try updating it or installing the proper drivers for the screen your trying to use.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Download the correct driver, windows update usually covers this depending on which OP you are using.

Also check the monitor and make sure it is sourcing analog and not digital. Sometimes there is a num one or two button or source button that will switch the source.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
OK, yes this monitor works. It was working on my computer with no problems. I will try the resolution thingy. Thank you. So, I have to set it up before I hook it into the other computers? I think it always gives me the message, no VGA output or something. I'll check again. It's got have VGA because it has the VGA plug.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
its probably complaining about the vga becuase its not coming down the wire exactly as it wants it

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
OK, yes this monitor works. It was working on my computer with no problems. I will try the resolution thingy. Thank you. So, I have to set it up before I hook it into the other computers? I think it always gives me the message, no VGA output or something. I'll check again. It's got have VGA because it has the VGA plug.

That indicated to me that the OS is trying to use the old Video settings, which are not compatible with the different monitor. Hopefully my suggestions work, it's basically - if I am right - the PC is talking to the old monitor at a different frequency/hz/rate than the current one gets.

I used to have to put up with that where I worked, students would constantly set the refresh rate (hz) to a dickhead number, and the next student had no access to the pc, as the monitor would stay black.

God luck !!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
its probably complaining about the vga becuase its not coming down the wire exactly as it wants it

Anyone with any real IT knowledge know to keep a handy kit of woollen Pipe Cleaners for this case.

Just use a spunget to remove the rj45 plug, and then proceed to clean the pipe just like your dad used to.

The hard part is making sure the 8 cat5-e wires are still lined up... one wrong move and you're sending 50,000 volts of electricity up your tcp line, and if you have a phone splitter, then it ends up frying the entire pabx system, IF you are on one.... or your local telecommunications exchange, and all it's rims.. making you a very very sought after culprit.

You think napster is bad... Oh goodness.

who what ? no one did... lmao.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hey check the resolution.

I've been trying to send u a message.

I know u. (

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I figured it out. It had to have to have two vga connectors. One cord with 2 vga connectors on it. It works now. Thank you all.
edit on 1-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

top topics

join