It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NSA Is Building the Country's Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

www.wired.com

The spring air in the small, sand-dusted town has a soft haze to it, and clumps of green-gray sagebrush rustle in the breeze. Bluffdale sits in a bowl-shaped valley in the shadow of Utah’s Wasatch Range to the east and the Oquirrh Mountains to the west. It’s the heart of Mormon country, where religious pioneers first arrived more than 160 years ago. They came to escape the rest of the world, to understand the mysterious words sent down from their god as revealed on buried golden plates, and to
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
This facility is quite amazing. It is able to handle a yottabyte of information and it works in conjunction with the ORNL facility at its own classified building where they are working on breaking codes. Of particular importance is the fact that they may be hinting that they are about to break AES or maybe public-key encryption:

Meanwhile, over in Building 5300, the NSA succeeded in building an even faster supercomputer. “They made a big breakthrough,” says another former senior intelligence official, who helped oversee the program. The NSA’s machine was likely similar to the unclassified Jaguar, but it was much faster out of the gate, modified specifically for cryptanalysis and targeted against one or more specific algorithms, like the AES. In other words, they were moving from the research and development phase to actually attacking extremely difficult encryption systems. The code-breaking effort was up and running.

What I think is happening is that the NSA wants to store the data, especially the inaccessible data that is encrypted and keep constructing faster computers to the point that they will be able to crack the encryptions, quite possibly even AES. This is exactly like the book Digital Fortress, to the tee. Except it is reality.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 123131p://3America/ChicagoTue, 20 Mar 2012 00:51:22 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

lol I'm in class for computer science and didn't know what a yottabyte was! its 10 to the 24th power or a septillian wtf I remember being a little kid saying the word trillion and thinking how absurd it sounded funny that was until the i saw the debt in my country, then i was thinking wtf bush then wtf obama. Anyway back onto your subject. They are using software that can figure out who you are by how you write so you cant be so anonymous lol what a joke to the people who actually think they are in the first place. But if you really want to be anonymous heres a tip. Number one dont use your home location,hack someones wifi signal.#2 change your mac address. I could go on but these are just the basics. The internet has been and will always be the biggest breach of personal information ever why do you think its so damn cheap to get a computer and why sites that list your likes and dislike do so well lol.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

NSA to store a Yottabyte of your calls, email, etc...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

New NSA Spy Center Online in 2013 - Speak Now or Forever...

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Doesnt work too well with no electricity and thats just for starts..

These secret orders that run things worldwide really should consider surrendering...there is no shame.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

They just built a huge one a few years ago. Made a thread about it before it was 'official'

Georgia Cryptologic Center

"The National Security Agency/Central Security Service is pleased to announce that its Cryptologic Center in Georgia -- NSA/CSS Georgia (NSAG) -- is looking forward to a new operations facility. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District, awarded the design/build contract for the facility on 7 December 2006."[1] "NSAG conducts signals intelligence operations, trains the cryptologic workforce, and enables global communications—all critical to the success of the nation’s decision-makers, combatant commands, and deployed U.S./Coalition forces."[2] "The NSA expects the new facility to be up and running by 2012. It means about a thousand new jobs at Fort Gordon.

en.wikipedia.org...

CRAY - NSA Supercomputer - "thinking machine"

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
What is fascinating to me is the fact that computer power may well be approaching the ability to break AES if this is the case. They need to either increase the rounds for AES or come up with a stronger standard. I am wondering that why the NSA needs such code breaking computer power since civilians hardly use encryption or even know what encryption is.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

This facility is quite amazing. It is able to handle a yottabyte of information and it works in conjunction with the ORNL facility at its own classified building where they are working on breaking codes. Of particular importance is the fact that they may be hinting that they are about to break AES or maybe public-key encryption:

Excellent news. Let them have at AES and properly employed, upper levels of cryptological algorithms.

Better that fruitless chase than attacking passwords and keys.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PulsusMeusGallo

Of course you could make fake files and encrypt them with AES and there would be no way to distinguish from a true file with data as they would pass chi-squared tests for randomness.

Ohhh I am so devious... the government goons spend years to decrypt an AES file only to find out its a picture of Anna nicole
edit on 093131p://3America/ChicagoTue, 20 Mar 2012 09:09:39 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Interesting, although I once heard that the NSA was started to ferret out the communication of the Extra Terrestrials.
If this is true, then they are on to something, and it's a lot bigger than we know.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

reply to post by PulsusMeusGallo

Of course you could make fake files and encrypt them with AES and there would be no way to distinguish from a true file with data as they would pass chi-squared tests for randomness.

Ohhh I am so devious... the government goons spend years to decrypt an AES file only to find out its a picture of Anna nicole

Theses NSA boys aren't dumb. Certainly they will store anything they can get their hands on but the selection of what to decipher is probably more than the deciphering method itself. AES has been around a long, long time.

We used to have these discussion @ length in sci.crypt among the NSA boys themselves. Great resource if you would like to look back before, oh, 2010.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

Thread closed.

top topics

join