It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something's rattling small Wisconsin town

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Mysterious explosions. Unexplained shaking

Isn't the Empire Mine in Michigan just north of that location?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

Yes is it located north of this location, but it is over 200 miles north so I don't think it is the mine that is causing this.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It seems like a lot of facebook posts are talking about 'Fracking' in the area. Is Chippewa Falls near this location?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Google "Fracking Noise" - a few YT videos show how much 'booming' and 'rattling' Fracking causes. One community in Ohio is suing over the constant booming caused by Fracking in their area.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Chippewa Falls is nowhere near Clintonville. I live 5 miles from Chippewa Falls (in Eau Claire), and I'm about 2 hours and 45 minutes from Clintonville.

I saw this on the news ticker yesterday afternoon and have been keeping track of it ever since. I know most of the details, and have heard the excuses from UW-Madison geologists and whatnot (ice melting from underground pipes; release of stress the ice creates; etc). Taking into account everything I know/have heard, at this point I would say something is definitely going on under Clintonville that is most likely going to be covered up in the near future. Nobody will ever know exactly what's going on, in my opinion, and officials will brush off the issue as "melting ice" off underground water pipes.

I have my own beliefs:

1) citizens say this isn't the first time they've heard these noises
2) ice melting from underground pipes, even the stress the ice created, (in my opinion) could not make the noises that have been heard, and are STILL being heard
3) it's been a very, very mild winter. There couldn't have been enough ice underground to still melt away, starting Monday, March 19
4) ice melting off of underground pipes doesn't wake up entire towns,
5) does not go on for days at a time (if it does, we'd be hearing this same story every year),
6) and how would this continually create this loud of a noise? 150 calls to the local PD were logged from 1:45am-11am.
7) this was strong enough to trigger instruments at a seismic station, twenty miles away, in Shiocton.

A link to a news article out of Milwaukee, from 12:45 today
www.620wtmj.com...

What is Fracking
wisair.wordpress.com...

This isn't for the Clintonville area, but if fracking was indeed going on, I'd be inclined to think the community would have worked something out about the times that blasting may occur.

From article: "Blasting will be allowed only between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m."
edit on 20-3-2012 by Razor84 because: second link

edit on 20-3-2012 by Razor84 because: grammar edit

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Human_Alien

The Florida link you inserted above (I believe) was the day before the Japan earthquake if I remember correctly.

And, as if right on cue:

7.4 earthquake hits Mexico
www.cnn.com...

Not saying they are connected, just caught my attention as I was reading through the thread (as I was just made aware of the Mexico earthquake).

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by deometer

Ironic...I wonder how far away the Mexico earthquake was felt.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
TONIGHT you can watch a LIVE UStream of the Fox Cities Post-Crescent Paper on scene listening for the booms.

Go to this link to listen and watch LIVE in Clintonville TONIGHT!
LIVE UStream from Clintonville, WI. 3/20/12

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Razor84

Excellent post, and a star for your reporting!

One question, is your area undermined? Where I live (SW Pa) we have subsidence issues...but NO noises like what has been reported and recorded in Clintonville.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Clam Lake, Wisconsin is 150 miles away, and while that may seem far, it is nothing when you consider what Clam Lake is responsible for

As used in military applications, the wavelength is ~299,792 km (~186,282 mi) per second divided by 50–85 Hz, which equals around 3,527 to 5,996 km (2,192 to 3,726 mi) long; by comparison, Earth's diameter is around 12,742 km (7,918 mi). Because of this huge size requirement and, to transmit internationally using ELF frequencies, the earth itself must be used as an antenna, with extremely long leads going into the ground. Various other means are taken to construct radio stations with substantially smaller sizes, such as electrical lengthening.

The US maintained two sites, in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, Wisconsin and the Escanaba River State Forest, Michigan (originally named Project Sanguine, then downsized and rechristened Project ELF prior to construction), until they were dismantled, beginning in late September 2004.

Not saying this is the cause, but certainly something to be considered.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Not sure if it has already been asked; I quit reading when the bickering started, my apologies.

Has it ever been asked if they sound like sonic booms?

Anyone from the military that can confirm? Someone that has been on an aircraft carrier would certainly know what one would sound like, maybe even have felt one.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

The vid In the fifth post has an interview with a resident that said it sounded like sonic booms. Although I think she was just trying to describe the sound and not saying it was an actual sonic boom from an aircraft.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

I am not sure how confident she was in what a sonic boom actually sounds like.
Maybe she does, but I did not feel it from her statement.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
All these places that are experiencing these sounds and earth shaking are all located on CAVERNS. From North Florida to here in Wisconsin. Wisconsin is littered with them, this is just one that is well known but I know there are many others given the land. I have been there many times, its a beautiful place in the spring.

www.maribelcaves.com...

A very large world wide earthquake is coming so be on your feet people. If you live in a big city, I would move quickly to a rural area away from fault lines or the Ocean.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Thank you, Glinda. I enjoyed making the post and I hope it has added to the discussion.

As for my area being undermined, I don't believe so. I'm also not sure about Clintonville. I've examined that area of town (eastern/northeastern parts) via Google Earth and noticed many factories/foundries/industrial parks in that area. Nothing to do with fracking or anything of the sort. I'm also listening to the live stream tonight, but have heard nothing thus far.

In my opinion, rural or lower populated areas (Clintonville, most of WI) would make sense for underground utilization. I've read on this site that a government base possibly exists south of Baraboo, WI (2hrs30mins SW of Clintonville).

As for the "sonic booms", I don't believe I've ever heard one myself, but I can picture where she was going with her description of the noise, and I can picture in my head what it sounded like. If she really does know what a sonic boom sounds like, that noise coming from underground would be terrifying, not to mention in the dead of night. But we shouldn't worry, it's probably just ice melting

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I am also in Wisconsin. I have to blame the weather anomaly on this. It's been warm, much warmer that usual. I'm 30 mins away from Clintonville, WI and we made a snowman in the back yard 3 weeks ago. It was 80 degree's here today.

I'm no geological expert but going from snow to florida weather has to have an effect on our little piece of the earth.

Or i'm in denial and the sky is falling

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The Appleton Post Crescent has a live feed going in Clintonville. I spoke to some of the folks who have been watching the feed all night and they said that, while they heard a few things they couldn't explain, there haven't been any distinct booms tonight.

Link to the feed: www.postcrescent.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
abc news/yahoo article

The city has so far managed to rule out problems with the water and sewer system, elevated gas levels, area blasting or mining, industrial businesses, and even military operations, WBAY reported.

"I think that right now the greatest possibility is that it is some sort of natural phenomenon. I think that it's a possibility that there is some earth shifting going on underneath the ground that creates those popping sort of exploding popping or vibrating noises that people feel," City Administrator Lisa Kuss said.

The booms and shakes have gotten so bad that they have begun to drive residents from the town. "Our dog is scared, our neighbors are leaving and stuff, so we decided we are going somewhere else for a while," Dennis Padia said. "It's that loud, and it bothers you. You can't go to sleep."

The booms and shakes have gotten so bad that they have begun to drive residents from the town.

gma.yahoo.com...

edit on 21-3-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Dutch said he heard some people worrying that a sinkhole might open up and swallow homes. That can happen in areas where the ground is rich with limestone and other low-density rocks that can be dissolved by water, he said. But the rock below Clintonville is mainly solid granite that's largely impermeable.

However, he speculated that water and granite could hold the key to the mystery. Granite has small cracks that water can fill, but if the underground water table falls especially low, water can seep out, leaving gaps that cause the rocks to settle and generate loud noises.

"Maybe the very dry winter caused more water to be removed from the water table, either through pumping or natural flow," he said.

hosted.ap.org...

Clintonville Hires Firm to Find Cause of Noises, Shaking

www.wbay.com...

Why not put up some directional microphones all around the town by then determining the direction. Bit by bit you will come up with a specific locale or if the sound moves around. It would be a cheap way to go with volunteers and boy you'd get a bunch of them.

edit on 21-3-2012 by kennvideo because: link and suggestion

edit on 21-3-2012 by kennvideo because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Another possibility, I guess....

Clintonville mystery sounds familiar to local couple

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join