It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's New Carrier Preps for Aircraft: Depolyment Soon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Well it looks like the day is coming when China will be able to deploy its carrier with aircraft. The Varyag/Shi Lang/ is close to be outfitted with the equipment it needs to take on aircraft. A big step for sure. Now will it use its own J-15's or something else?

the-diplomat.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Oh how wonderful .Now we can look forward to air collisions at sea when their lousy aviators try to buzz our fighters.Assuming they actually don't attrite themselves on carrier landings.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by travis911

I believe that they got the arresting gear for landing the J15. Good for them.

I find the whole arms trade to be such a bloody waste of resources..

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Agreed. I just hope there is no collisions at sea. We don't need anymore people dying in wars.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Well once they get the first one going you will see them
pop up like popcorn ya made in China
If the quality is as good as the s$#*t they sell us no worry.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

I wouldn't jump as fast to knock the chinese Navel fleet just yet.

edit on 19-3-2012 by Pegasus2000 because: iPhone changing typing

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

It's funny how on topics such as this Americans are quick to disparage Chinese military proficiency and capability.

The same thing was said of the Japanese during the Second World War. Some even argued that the Japanese couldn't even fly aircraft at all, besides the fact that for around two years they had one of the best fighter aircraft.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The Chinese have a game plan and they are following it, irrespective of smug statements from the complacent.

They have money and the industrial base to develop and field large carriers and over the last few years they have been acquiring know how from abroad and working up to it.

This reworked russian carrier is a prototype. When they have learned the lessons from this they will build and field their first indigenous design in quantity.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm not selling the Chinese short in any way whatsoever...but the simple truth is that *one* of any type of ship is rarely a 'game changer'. This represents a significant step forward for China's navy, but it doesn't make them a blue-water power by any long stretch of the imagination. What it does do is give them a platform to start working out the requirements for hardware and doctrine that they'll need to form a competent blue-water force. It's a development that the other world powers (particularly the USN) need to keep an eye on, but it's nothing to panic about at this point.

I'm still rather surprised that the Chinese went with the ski-jump bow, honestly. It'll be interesting to see if that feature shows up in their first 'keel up' carrier design.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
Was the start of a new class of Russian Aircraft Carrier. One was completely built. The unfinished one was sold to China. The Ski-jump bow was part of the Russian design and already installed before China bought the ship

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Papagrune

I knew that the ski jump bow was part of the original design...I'm just surprised that it wasn't removed during the rather extensive rebuild / reconstruction work that's been done on the hull. Catapult launch systems may be more complex, but they have significant operational advantages.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09

It's funny how on topics such as this Americans are quick to disparage Chinese military proficiency and capability.

The same thing was said of the Japanese during the Second World War. Some even argued that the Japanese couldn't even fly aircraft at all, besides the fact that for around two years they had one of the best fighter aircraft.

This is unfortunately, an element common to every single american alive. They are brainwashed into foolishly thinking that their country is the greatest, or that they are the best at any given thing.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Justwork

Very true what you said and I find that its as though no other country can have/possess anything better than what the US have. What...they even barred China from participating in the International Space Station (ISS). Its a blessing in disguise for it spurred the Chinese to build their own space station and also buy up all their bonds. Still you have many who are suspicious and paranoid about China. They seem to think that everyone are like them with sinister motives.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justwork

Originally posted by Kram09

This is unfortunately, an element common to every single american alive. They are brainwashed into foolishly thinking that their country is the greatest, or that they are the best at any given thing.

Not me..I dont think my country is the greatest or are the best at any given thing.

I particularly speak of our leadership.

I have grave doubts about the quality and integrity of our leadership. Have had these doubts for many many years now.American and world history is replete with examples of lousy leadership from the top down and often costing huge amounts of our finest blood before real leadership shows up to take the reins.

At the same time ..I do not think America is alone in having lousy leadership. And history also verifies this concerning other nations as well.

But I do have serious concerns about the quality of our American leadership. This includes in particular the high up leadership of our military. Many of them too have become politicians..not leaders.
When the time comes we need leaders and shooters...not politicians.

And I have worked on our Nuclear Aircraft Carriers ...as well as our Nuclear Submarines. I know what is in them and how they work. My concerns are not for our military men and women per se..but about our leadership.

Agree with some of the posters here ...this is a prototype or initial carrier for the Chinese...they will build their upcoming carriers from the lessons learned on this one. Like other nations before them, the lessons will be hard earned and won...and sometimes expensive. It is the same with their submarine fleet as well.

Just in case I have it wrong I apologize. I believe it was Brother Strothammer who mentioned that steam catapults are complex and highly designed systems to operate and maintain. They are quite correct in this.

Not only are steam catapults complex and difficult to operate and maintain..they are also very expensive to design, install, and maintain. They do offer certain advantages...but costs seem to be a big factor in this arena.

It is interesting to me that the Soviets for all their 'super power status" could not get a steam catapult system to work and had to go to the jump ramp route. This is known informations in certain circles ..but not to the average American. I find this interesting and telling as to motives...not by the Soviets .but by our own leadership.

I am asking myself when someone here in the States...are going to give the Chinese the secrets to the E-mals system of electric catapults. Just as the US State department approved the transfer of much of our high tech secrets to the Soviets.

Thanks,
Orangetom
edit on 25-3-2012 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Brother Stormhammer

Its a totally new toy to them and they have practically no experience with aircraft carriers. They need to practise the take off/landing to perfection before this new carrier would mean anything. It is actually a guided missile cruiser/carrier like its sister ship Kuznetsov in the Russian navy. I would not be too bothered with this carrier for it is used as a training ship. I'd only sit up and take notice when they have 5 big "Nimitz" class carriers maybe in 30 years time.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Its a totally new toy to them and they have practically no experience with aircraft carriers. They need to practise the take off/landing to perfection before this new carrier would mean anything. It is actually a guided missile cruiser/carrier like its sister ship Kuznetsov in the Russian navy. I would not be too bothered with this carrier for it is used as a training ship. I'd only sit up and take notice when they have 5 big "Nimitz" class carriers maybe in 30 years time.

posted on Mar, 28 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by slanteye

You might notice that I'm not one of the people coming unglued at this?
I'm very aware of this ship's history, and of just how hard it is to develop proficiency in the arcane art / science of blue-water carrier operations. Of course, suggesting that this vessel is anything less than the most powerful, revolutionary, world-beating ship on earth will likely get me branded as a blindly pro-American jingoist who thinks everything his country does is the best thing ever, but I'll just have to deal with that.

Joking aside, this ship isn't, in and of itself, any direct threat to the USN. She's not a very good carrier (though as a first attempt, she's a good start), and there's only one of her (which, as any student of Murphy knows, means that she'll never be available where and when she's needed). What makes this a troubling development is the entry of a new member into the 'carrier club' at a time when the US fleet is in the middle of several serious crises (aging hulls, aging airframes, and budget issues, just to mention three). You're very correct in your last sentence. The real threat will be when China has five or more full-up fleet carriers. I'd say your 30 year time frame is a bit long, but 15-20 years wouldn't surprise me. The thing is, given the glacial speed of the USN's design/procurement system, they needed to start planning for 2042's threats in about 2008.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I wish them luck in trying to find a use for it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
It does kind of look crappy....just my .02

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The Chinese will not be ready to deploy until they know for sure that they can win. It is something that the asians have always been good at. Making sure its right.

new topics

top topics

join