It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Continuing to eat when full might be in your Genes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Well apparantley this gene is not inherent in all of us. I for one if I wind up eating too much I feel full and uncomfortable. So needless to say I'm generally not tempted to over eat, only if its something I really really like.But I thought this would make for an interesting read I know we're not all alike.

Tamara Cohen

The secret to staying slim may be all in your genes.In tests on mice, they showed that a mutation on a single gene broke down communication in the body and led to non-stop eating and rapid weight gain.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... If

edit on 18-3-2012 by 1loserel2 because: change

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

I'm glad I don't have an insatiable hunger for food. Even if I did, I have a fast metabolism to compensate for all the food I'm eating. Unfortunately it won't be like that in 30 years or so lol

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The urge to keep eating is due to a chemical that gets sent to your brain and triggers a hormone called Leptin. This is what tells you to stop eating when you are full and has absolutely nothing to do with genes, but everything to do with high fructose corn syrup.

High fructose corn syrup, unlike sugar, when ingested will NEVER trigger the Leptin until you are long past being full. It is a poison, period.

You should watch this video:

It has some parts that are a bit deep on the biochemistry side, but I think it's enough for you to get the gist.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hi, food watchers.

Continuing to eat when full might be in your Genes
and
Continuing to eat when full might be in your FOOD ! !

Do $ome re$earche$ on MSG ! ! B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Well, I am not going to downplay the possible effect of chemicals like high fructose corn syrup, but I would say in my own personal experience there is actually two factors that seem to actually effect the triggering of hunger effect more then what you eat, and those factors are how you eat.

The first factor is eating too fast, if you eat really fast, gulping down your food, without actually chewing it, you will consume a vast amount of food, long before you ever get hungry. I personally have found, if you do just slow down, eat normally, you will feel full.I think it's one of the factors that actually make "fast food" even worse for people; besides just the calorie content, people that eat fast food are usually in a hurry and usually shovel the food into their face in short order after receiving it.

The second factor, is not consciously paying attention to eating and instead concentrating on something else, while the act of eating almost becomes like a robotic or unconscious act. In my personal experience I have found that if I watch TV or a movie or do something else while eating, it takes longer for me to feel full.

Now of course there are many factors to why many people over eat, but I would say the two I mention are big ones in the equation. I would also say, another problem is people think they are suppose to eat until they feel full, which is silly in the first place; the feeling of hunger signals it's time to eat, it shouldn't signal how long or how much to eat.

I think another problem is the human system is designed to survive, as hunters and gathers, which means sometimes you go days without eating, so when you do get food your body wants as much as it can get. Also, as hunter/gatherers you don't really get to eat all you want when you did find food, because it probably wouldn't be all that much, maybe a small game animal, maybe a couple of pieces of fruit or a couple of handful of berries. Add to that fact you had to walk and run to get the food in the first place, even if you ate a whole boar yourself you still wouldn't get fat. lol

That, is just the way it is, obesity arises from modern day convenience and abundance of food. Of course, if the average person had more common sense about eating, we wouldn't have problems with obesity. A good rule of thumb, which isn't perfect but will help people from getting fat regardless of "genes" is measuring a portion as about the size of the palm of your hand. If you eat a few small portions like that, stop eating when your done and not when you feel full, eat slow, and pay attention to what you eat, and also, get a little exercise; even moderate, the genetics won't matter you still won't eat to much or get fat.

And really what is up with geneticists lately trying to excuse every problem with modern humans, as some genetic flaw or feature, talk about taking the power from the people; "Oh you eat to much, sit on your rear and are obese?...Don't worry it's just your genes, not your fault at all." lol

Just my opinion anyway.

edit on 19-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

edit on 19-3-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

top topics

join