It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just silly.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Atheists can be silly too. For instance when they say, "The probability that God exists is slim to none."
edit on 19-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You know, there were quite a few times in your rant post that some religious type came on and stated something to the effect that they come on ATS and post their opinions in the religion/theology section and atheists don't need to come along and post in their threads and yadda yadda yadda... Basically suggesting that this section is their domain and atheists can just see their way out.
Then BAM! an inflammatory post title saying "Atheism is just silly." comes along a few hours later. Apparently we atheists aren't supposed to come and see what's up with a post with the word atheist in it. I don't get it. So is this section just the ATS area for christian mutual masturbation or something? Just a kindly place for believers to gather for a bunch of "atta boy's" and back slaps?
And to the OP, that entire "exchange" is a total fabrication. The same sad sort you find bouncing around among the insecure religious types found on Facebook.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Seems like some people just read the title and got stuck on the idea that it was an attack on atheism. I'll admit it caught my attention, but I took the time to read the whole post and saw the point of the story.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

If you saw the point of the story you must have seen the flaws if your in any way intelligent. First no one person will see the evolution of the human race unless they were immortal or something. Then hes talking about the professor brain seriously has anyone seen it or felt it. Of course i could just give me an ax and Ill show you both. But will an ax show me god doubtful. Im agnostic by the way.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

Its not as silly as you pick my god or go to hell for all eternity. I hate to say it but the probability of picking the right religion and god is slim to none theres to many and they all say if your not with us burn sinner.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Another silly thing atheists will say is, "Science proves there is no God."

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron

A silly thing theists say is "there is a god"

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The post is flawed, but I agree with the idea behind it. Those who blindly follow a religion are just as ignorant as atheists who refuse to give any theist a chance to explain their beliefs.

I'm Christian, Catholic to be specific, and there are plenty of things that I do not agree with or have my own view on. This does not mean I do not believe in God. And it definitely does not mean that I can't appreciate the level or lack of level of faith others have towards religious concepts.

IMO, too many posts arguing this same concept, and they are turn into immature name calling.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox

A silly thing theists say is "there is a god"

That's not so much about theism as it is gnosticism. Atheists can make the same opposite claim to knowledge.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
And what will you say when you stand face to face with Him?

"I don't believe in you."

"You don't exist."

What do you suppose His reply will be?

I like to think He will say, "I've always believed in you."

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think that anything else other than agnostic could be considered silly.
No one can tell if it's 100% sure that there is a God and no one can tell that God never existed. Both sides rely on faith to debate their beliefs.

Silly, is believing that the Bible is 100% the word of God.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
1. That "conversation" is not real, do a little research.

2. Haha, typical Christian. "Believe what we believe in, accept what WE accept as the truth, or else you'll burn in hell!"

Tired of this crap. Grow up.

EDIT: And don't tell me, "it's in the Bible, it's the truth!" That's one freakin' book. Do you have any proof that God exists? Any tangible, real, actual PROOF?

Oh, you don't?

If God is real, I have a serious problem with the megalomaniac. "Everyone worship me, even though I run around killing everyone, but if you don't worship me, I'll send you to a pit to burn in hell for eternity. Reminds me of when I was a boy, my mom would tell me "Now you be good, or else Santa won't bring your Christmas presents and you'll get a lump of coal." What a crock of sh*t that turned out to be.

You believe in God, you have Faith in God, well - here's how I feel (and no, this is not my quote). "Get off of your cross, take the piece of wood, build a bridge, and get on with your life." People have the mindset, ahhh, living here doesn't matter because when I die I'll live forever in eternity with Jesus. So they "wipe their feet off on Earth," just kind of going on through the day, because they feel as if this life is nothing compared to the afterlife.

My opinion, and the generally convieved notion of Atheists is that this is our only life, our only chance to experience anything, so let's get out there and make the best of it. Instead of blindly follow ONE book based on sole "Faith," we use our own Faith to get on with our lives and experience them. I don't know if there is an afterlife, neither do you. Nobody knows if God is real - that's the only truth.

It's called Faith. Christians are obsessed with shoving their faith down EVERYONE'S throat, yet when one person even looks at Jesus wrong - they're going to hell forever. What a great, great conveyance of a Christian message.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." Some people on here should really keep this in mind.
edit on 19-3-2012 by RomeByFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

That's not so much about theism as it is gnosticism. Atheists can make the same opposite claim to knowledge.

No one is born with a belief in a god. It is something that is affected by external influence. A non belief is the natural state of existence.

The burden of proof lies with theists to prove their outlandish claims.

That is like someone saying "I believe in pink flying zombies, but your opinion is no more valid than mine because you can not disprove it."

It's not logical to be told to disprove something that is completely made up.
edit on 3-19-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is such a dumb argument; the difference between all of the things the student argues and the things which the professor argues is that heat, light, evolution, and brain matter can all be witnessed and measured; god, on the other hand, can not.

There is no physical manifestation of god; at least with thoughts, the thinker can attest to their existence. Not to mention technology is reaching a point where it can successfully read and interpret human thought.

Quite frankly, if there is a creator, and I do believe there has to be one for something, such as our universe, to be created, it is not the Christian, Muslim, or Jewish god. These deities are all created by man and have served man's interests. Why is it that most religions are patriarchal? Why the hell would any god belong to any gender, for that matter? If god is able to create life, should it not at least be a woman?

No, you see, modern theocracy is myth and those who believe it engage in self deception. If religion had not been used as an instrument for social control throughout history, it may yield some merit, but come on guys! The proof is dangling blatantly in front of your face. If you wish to believe in a higher power, forge your own gods; don't drink the Kool Aid; don't buy into the myth.

Besides, if this were Narnia and the Christian, Muslim, and Jewish gods existed, they would all be ashamed of us for what we have become. No god would praise humanity, it has become a plague upon this planet.

The faith that many people have isn't even real faith; many people decide to believe not because they actually like the concept of a hate filled, patriarchal god figure, but because they crave acceptance and they are scared of hell. Keep in mind that in the past, condemnation of the social control machine resulted in being branded a heretic and, often, death. Hell, you can see it for yourself now if you travel to Saudi Arabia. What's a more compelling reason to "believe" in god than guaranteed death for expressing any form of dissent?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox
No one is born with a belief in a god. It is something that is affected by external influence. A non belief is the natural state of existence.

People aren't born with much knowledge, what's your point?

The burden of proof lies with theists to prove their outlandish claims.

Burden of proof is a fallacious argument. I could ask the same thing from an atheist, doesn't make it more or less valid.

That is like someone saying "I believe in pink flying zombies, but your opinion is no more valid than mine because you can not disprove it."

So what?

It's not logical.

Most beliefs aren't logical, including the belief in the nonexistence of God.

edit on 19-3-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If there is no God then who made all this stuff?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

People aren't born with much knowledge, what's your point?

There is no "knowledge" in claiming something exists in which there is absolutely no evidence what so ever.

Burden of proof is a fallacious argument. I could ask the same thing from an atheist, doesn't make it more or less valid.

No it isn't. The logical fallacy is the one that theists use. Theists are the ones who created a mythical god, they must therefore prove the claim of its existence, or otherwise stop the ridiculous arguments.

Burden of proof (see – onus probandi) – I need not prove my claim, you must prove it is false

en.wikipedia.org...

So what?

Good argument.

Most beliefs aren't logical, including the belief in the nonexistence of God.

Sure they are, when they are substantiated with evidence.
Your logic is flawed for reasons already explained. Theists have been shown to be a little bit on the "slower" side as a whole, so I understand if you need some repeating.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Next time you have a conversation with yourself in your head, ask yourself who you are talking to?

Are you certain it's you?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

Lol where are you trying to go with that one?

Inner dialogue with myself is really a conversation between me and God?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Pay close attention. After a period of time you'll see that your "inner voice" knows more than you do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join