It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when was america not at war with any country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
when was america not at war with any country? all i can find is america is at war with this country or that country all the time. when one is nearly finished or even ongoing, it falls into yet another war.....

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

1777?

That's just a guess, not a definite answer.

Pardon me if I'm wrong.

Peace time with Uncle Sam never lasts very long though.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

You also can't find the "Shift" key apparently.

You're right though. There have been periods of peace....but they never last long.

Ironic isn't it? A country founded on the concept of freedom of religion that has been at war more then it has been at peace.

But....that's just a coincidence right?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Uhhhhh 1837, 1840-41, 1920-41, there are many many more dates.

if you don't include the expeditions and battles against the native Americans we had a lot of peaceful days back in the day.

There were a lot of little rebellions and conflicts that we were involved in in some capacity throughout the 19th century but I would not call them full blown wars.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
just that i googled it and couldnt find a definite answer. by the way,Taupin Desciple, whats my `shift` key got to do with it?
edit on 16-3-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Thees a quote or a statistic by someone sorta famous. Wicked Brainfart atm... Basically says that it is not in Americas best profitable interests to be at peace.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

It's the same today, the media and government don't like to use the word war, Conflict is used because it somehow sounds fair. Being an invading army during a war makes for too many protests.

That said, it isn't just america, it's us humans, we're stupid and greedy and want what other people have.
when has there been a period of time when no nation has had war with another.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
true, but think if they spent the money on the american people instead of arms etc and the country instead also the lives that would be saved.....just a thought

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Just refuse to use the word war when you invade another country..so 66 years and counting since the US has been at war.

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Find me a long time period any nation or culture hasn't been a part of some war, conflict, police action, what have you. In all of human history it is hard to do. If you're asking about "relative" peace, easy enough, but the U.S. is certainly not unique as far as conflict is concerned.
Prior to 1862, there was no standing army. After the Civil War, a standing army was present and continued conflict, of a "smaller nature" took place. All the banana republic wars that no history books mention, the Spanish American War, the Phillipines insurrection, the Mexican Border conflict, etc until involvement in WW1 (keep in mind the constant warfare in Europe and Asia happening simultaneously). Between 1920 and 1941, there was a standing army but no wars. American volunteers fought the Spanish fascists and Japanese (The Flying Tigers) prior to Pearl harbor, but it was not as part of the US Military.

Of course, if you are including the Indian Wars, they were practically constant until 1890.

Humans are violent beings, by nature. If you think we are peaceful creatures that are being manipulated by horrible bad guys, you don't know much about history or biology. Watch a documentary about chimpanzees or baboons. It will tell you alot about human nature. Primates, in general, are violent and live according to hierarchies and have tribal social instincts.

ETA: From a more sinister perspective, think about the unsustainability of the ever growing population as well as the internal conflicts that always erupt in any society. Google and read the Report from Cold Mountain. War is the organizing principle of any human society.
edit on 16-3-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: add

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
There is one country that has been involved in wars and conflicts nearly every year of its existence
And this isn't some young country like the states
I'm thinking of one in particular
Can you find who it is ?
When you do you won't have to look much further to find some answers

new topics

top topics

join