It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Conference of Catholic Bishops Fights Obama War on Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
US Conference of Catholic Bishops Fights Obama War on Religion

The US Conference of Catholic Bishops has issued a statement
clarifying the stance on the ObamaCare mandate debacle.

Here is the public statement:

This is not about access to contraception, which is ubiquitous and inexpensive, even when it is not provided by the Church’s hand and with the Church’s funds. This is not about the religious freedom of Catholics only, but also of those who recognize that their cherished beliefs may be next on the block. This is not about the Bishops’ somehow “banning contraception,” when the U.S. Supreme Court took that issue off the table two generations ago. Indeed, this is not about the Church wanting to force anybody to do anything; it is instead about the federal government forcing the Church—consisting of its faithful and all but a few of its institutions—to act against Church teachings. This is not a matter of opposition to universal health care, which has been a concern of the Bishops’ Conference since 1919, virtually at its founding. This is not a fight we want or asked for, but one forced upon us by government on its own timing. Finally, this is not a Republican or Democratic, a conservative or liberal issue; it is an American issue.

Denouncing ObamaCare

No comments yet (that I know of) from the Obama White House

The Supreme Court will hear arguments soon

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

it is instead about the federal government forcing the Church—consisting of its faithful and all but a few of its institutions—to act against Church teachings.

I don't mean to offend anyone's religion but the Church acts against the Church teachings.

And then they conspire among themselves to cover it up.

And I am not talking, 'marriage for non-virgins' or eating 'fish on Friday'. I am NOT talking MINOR crimes or misbehavior's...I am talking some of the most vile and despicable crimes against humanity there is. And I am not talking once. There is a history of abuse. And a clear longstanding coverup. What KIND of organization would not punish perps but move them and in so doing hide them....around the country? What of religion's war on children with it's enablers and accomplices who are just as guilty for covering it up? It is insane and some would say wicked.

I really think we should consider the source here and if they are blameless and without fault - go ahead and do as they say but if not - they should be watched like hawks and everything they say taken with a grain of salt and a serious look into the far reaching implications, and consequences of their mandates.

The world does not need any more abandoned or unwanted children.
We have plenty to SUPPLY Catholic Orphanages and foundling homes with young nubile bodies and impressionable minds already.

edit on 16-3-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I was actually thinking the same thing. I spent a decent amount of time looking up information on this and it's an ABOMINATION!

Our Government has instituted a measure that will take the church out as being the middle man and the insurance company to offer the services free of charge...ie' the insurance company eating the cost.

The fact is the US is not a Catholic country, it is not under the rule of the church. The Catholics complaining that they will still have some association with the services under the current mandate is overstepping the boundaries and attempting to force people who do not share their faith to succumb to their rule.Simply walking out in public they risk having some association with the services. Now if they don't want their employees using these services then they need to find employee's who share their faith, not employee people of any faith and force them into faking that they share the same belief.

Jesus didn't teach his disciples to force people to succumb to his desires for humanity so that they could live in some pretend wonderland. He told his disciples to follow his actions and teaching and reach out with love and compassion. You can catch more flies with sugar than salt and vinegar. So what happens to their immortal souls for going against the teachings.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
As most normal people know,

Nancy Pelosi herself said that

Pelosi: '98 Percent of Catholic Women...Use Birth Control'

The Obamamite parrots keep grinding the same messages over and over.

If all these people are already using birth controls,

what exactly is the problem in the first place ?

Forcing insurance companies to offer this for "free" will only raise rates for everybody.

It ain't "free".

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Ah the catholic church and sex,
that's like a hard core straight edger, giving advice on drug use.
Or a deaf person, giving music lessons.

There is not a single organisation on earth that is more obsessed and deluded about somehting they don't know ANYTHING about.

^I can only agree with this elaborate observation by Stephen Fry.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You tube link I tried to post (can't edit anymore)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Oh yes, more "War On Religion" hyperbole crap.

It's always bs to see that the religious think they're above human laws and always try to impose their crap on a secular society.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by XyZeR
You tube link I tried to post (can't edit anymore)

www.youtube.com...

That guy's awesome! Never heard of him before, he's my new hero!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Given the Briefart source I rate it pure tabloid.

I do not want the government nor the bishops telling me how I must or must not conduct myself in personal matters..
edit on 16-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I unfortunately have to side with the Church on this stupid pathetic issue.

The church should be able to have such an arcane and idiotic rule not interfered with by the government.

What the right wingers don't quite get is that some forms of contraception (the pill) has a dual purpose in that it also has a beneficial effects on women's health besides the obvious elimination of concerns about parasite infestation.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
We need to remember that ObamaCare already has some religious exemptions:

Health Insurance Exemptions

Claim: Scientologists, Amish, Christian Scientists, and Muslims will be exempt from requirements to obtain health insurance.....

The ObamaCare bill is the establishment of Dhimmitude and Sharia muslim diktat in the United States. Muslims are specifically exempted from the government mandate to purchase insurance, and also from the penalty tax for being uninsured. Islam considers insurance to be "gambling", "risk-taking" and "usury" and is thus banned. Muslims are specifically granted exemption based on this. How convenient

ObamaCare discriminates against Christians and Jews by denying them special exemptions extended to other religions.

If you are a mainstream Christian or a Jew, you need not apply to Opt Out of ObamaCare; that exemption is reserved for Muslims, Scientologists, Amish, Christian Scientists and Native American Indians who have a "conscientious objection" to insurance. A conscientious objection to theft committed by rouge politicians under the color of law with the threat of violence for non-compliance isn’t sufficient in America today to exempt average Americans from the stranglehold of government. Believe it or not, if you are a Muslim you may claim a special religious exemption to Obama-Care that is denied to main-stream Christians and Jews. Or if you prefer a New-Age religion to Islam, you may become a Scientologist and Opt Out of ObamaCare’s mandatory purchase of health insurance. Or, if you happen to be of Native American Indian extraction you too can opt out of the insurance laws by which everyone else in America must abide.

Origins: One of the more controversial aspects of health care reform legislation passed by the U.S. Congress in 2010 is its eventual requirement that all Americans obtain health insurance or pay a monthly fine. Much attention has been focused on rumors regarding classes of Americans who might be exempt from the requirements to obtain health insurance, particularly rumors about members of various religious groups, with claims identifying Muslims, Scientologists, Amish, and Christian Scientists as exempt being the most common.

The fact is that the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" (PPACA) legislation passed by Congress and signed into law by President Obama does not include language which specifically exempts members of any particular religion from health insurance requirements (nor does it use the word "dhimmitude"). The bill contains a general "religious conscience" provision which establishes guidelines under which religious groups which have established conscientious objections to certain forms of insurance may seek exemption from health insurance requirements:
RELIGIOUS CONSCIENCE EXEMPTION — Such term shall not include any individual for any month if such individual has in effect an exemption under section 1311(d)(4)(H) of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act which certifies that such individual is a member of a recognized religious sect or division thereof described in section 1402(g)(1) and an adherent of established tenets or teachings of such sect or division as described in such section.
The key issue here is the determination of which religious groups' members might qualify for this exemption, an issue that has not yet been decided (and probably won't be for some time to come). Such members would have to be adherents of a religion or sect "described in section 1402(g)(1)" of the Internal Revenue Code, which governs exemptions from the payment of Social Security and Medicare taxes on self-employment income:
Health Insurance Exemptions

other related links:
Obama carves out legitimate religious exemption in Obamacare

clause which exempts certain individuals

new topics

top topics

join