It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook 'troll' Sean Duffy gets community service for offensive Sophie Taylor image

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by TomServo
reply to post by TKDRL

He wasnt jailed, he was sentenced community service. You say 'arrested', implicating that he was imprisoned. I think the punishment was appropriate.
Here in the US, you would probably get a hefty fine, which i no way fits the crime.

"Arrested" is a technical term, and one must be arrested before they can be "charged" and one must be charged before they can be "sentenced" and one must be sentenced in order to do community service. Technically arrested does mean "imprisoned" but usually only for a short time to be processed and released unless you are a danger to society.

Now, criminal charges for "trolling" is completely outrageous! ATSers better watch out! Half the posts on here are borderline trolling! For that matter, every comedian in the world better watch out, because they constantly alter images for humor. Imagine Conan O'Brien or Jay Leno skits being rebroadcast on Facebook posts, and those guys getting arrested for the things they do and say!

I think the difference with ATS is they provide a platform for people to discuss controversial ideas, many people will be posting offensive opinions to someone, be it religious or political or whatever.,However facebook is your image and most people use it as a representation of themselves and the good things in their live, rather than using it to try and cause distress to others.

There are plenty of forums out there is you want to act and discuss things which are not accepted in society as a whole, plus remember the family nature of facebook. You want your kids to see sick stuff on facebook?
edit on 16-3-2012 by Maponos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

i totally agree, the blokes clearly a nutjob and needs a pysch not prison!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

I am the same way on facebook that I am on here prettymuch. I have no qualms commenting on politics, or religion, or posting my artwork which isn't always PC. That is what the delete friend button is for.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Maponos

I am the same way on facebook that I am on here prettymuch. I have no qualms commenting on politics, or religion, or posting my artwork which isn't always PC. That is what the delete friend button is for.

Which suggests that only your friends can see it. Again, as with the examples yesterday this has been public and that is why it has generated police complaints.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

The leader of the group has the option to delete the offensive post, report them, and remove them from the group. No reason to go cry to the police. Getting your feelings hurt should not be illegal IMO.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Disgusting. Let freedom ring! Unless it hurts someone's feelings. Terrible times we live in

Wars everywhere, more wars about to break out any second, people arrested for the most stupidest things. Who wants to chip in and buy an island with me?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Seems pretty crazy to me, as a freedom loving american, that some one can be arrested for posting a photoshopped image.

Actually there were innumerable items including messages, images and videos relating to several dead kids. Aside from the girl featured in the BBC article, there were at least 4 others.

reply to post by Maponos

The leader of the group has the option to delete the offensive post, report them, and remove them from the group. No reason to go cry to the police. Getting your feelings hurt should not be illegal IMO.

He broke the law, which is a perfectly good reason to "go cry to the police".

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Well, I hope people with some foresight, and sense step up and challenge these stupid laws.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Wow.... this guy is one very sick individual. Just did a quick little Google on him and wish I had time to post links but I don't unfortunately. His sentence needs to be much, much more than what he got. He needs to be stopped before his actions grow even more serious. He's certainly an evil one to keep an eye on.

Do a search on him and his victims if you think his "punishment" is wrong. HA!

Sick dude.

edit to add just one link:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 3/16/2012 by dreams n chains because: added link

edit on 3/16/2012 by dreams n chains because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I hardly every post on facebook, and NEVER EVER use it for political reasons, causes etc..Not worth it.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Seems pretty crazy to me, as a freedom loving american, that some one can be arrested for posting a photoshopped image.

Wow, do you really believe you're free? Have you not taken any notice of your own countries' problems like people getting tazered for breaking wind e.c.t?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 0rbital

That's why I said freedom loving, I know we are not really free. I am a lot more free out here in the country, with no police force to harrass me though. Feel sorry for people living in the cities.

Also I am in Canada for now, but still, back in the states, I lived in the country, with a town with no police force there. The cities make me feel claustraphobic really.
edit on Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:24:39 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
unfortunately fines and community service are necessary given that kids are commiting suicide over facebook posts (trolls).

i guess it takes a village to raise a child,
but it takes a court of law to handle a troll.

subfab

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Another good article regarding facebook

www.dailymail.co.uk...

How Facebook could cost you your job! One in five bosses has rejected a job applicant after checking out their profile on social media sites

Including facebook firings

FACEBOOK FIRINGS

Even job-hunters who have passed any online screening to land their dream role should not relax.

Increasing numbers of workers have been sacked for careless social media posts - so however strong your privacy settings, take note of these cautionary tales:

An 18-year-old Buckingham Palace guard was fired ahead of the royal wedding after he allegedly called Kate Middleton a 'stupid stuck up cow' in a Facebook post.
Kimberley Swann, 16, was fired after three weeks as an admin assistant for writing on Facebook about how bored she was with her job. Her status updates included: 'first day at work. omg!! So dull!!'
Stephanie Bon was fired from her role as an HR assistant at Lloyds after posting a comment about her boss earning more money than her. She wrote: 'New CEO gets £4,000 an hour. I get £7. That’s fair.'
Prison officer Nathan Singh, who worked at HMP Leicester, was sacked for gross misconduct after becoming Facebook friends with current and previous inmates.
Thirteen Virgin Atlantic cabin crew members were fired after posting comments on Facebook labelling passengers 'chavs' and claiming there were cockroaches on the planes.
Emma Short, a travel agent from Coventry, was fired after using her Facebook page to say of a colleague that she wanted to 'smack the brown-nosing cow in the face'.
Housing association manager Adrian Smith was demoted after writing on Facebook that gay marriage would be ‘an equality too far’.
Ashley Payne, a high school teacher from Georgia, was forced to resign after posting pictures of herself drinking on the social networking site. The 24-year-old was told her page 'promoted alcohol use' and 'contained profanity'.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

That is on the parents. If they raised their kid to have a strong self worth, they would not be killing themselves over some words on a computer screen.

edit on 16-3-2012 by SashaHighkick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

You would have to be pretty stupid to give your boss your facebook page

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SashaHighkick
reply to post by subfab

That is on the parents. If they raised their kid to have a strong self worth, they would not be killing themselves over some words on a computer screen.

One of the most disgraceful posts I have ever seen on here, you should grow up child! I lost a sister to suicide many years ago and it was nothing to do with "the sense of worth my parent installed" but rather to the fact she had been sexually assaulted by a carer as a child, bullying in her teens certainly did not help either.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SashaHighkick
reply to post by subfab

Sticks and Stones and such. Yes, kids should be able to handle some taunting without entirely self-destructing, and if they can't then there are bigger problems than the bullies and trolls. Not that it is just the parent's fault either, what are you supposed to do when it requires two incomes to just barely pay the bills, and even then your kid isn't going to have everything it takes to be "popular," they'll just be average, and they'll be average with absentee parents!

The whole culture is set up these days for failure. If the parents could be in the homes, raising the children, then the children would have more self-worth and responsibility, and then these stupid trolls wouldn't be so significant, but our culture is self-destructing right before our very eyes.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

In the US you cannot be arrested because you say mean things to somebody. You also are not allowed to put your hands on somebody who says mean things to you. Sticks and stones and all that I suppose.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

That sucks. Well if that had happened to me, I would have told my daddy, and that person would end up burried somewhere more than likely. Your parents didn't warn you when you were little about those things, and tell you to come to them right away?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join