It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My desire in life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't see how I fit into the picture that is society. Although I may be able to fake it, I have no desire to. I just don't "get" it. I don't get why people operate the way they do. They all seem wrapped up in this part of life that doesn't matter at all.

Although this may seem comical to many, I had a revelation about myself while watching the movie Office Space. It's the part where Lawrence and Peter are talking about what they would do if they had a million dollars. Lawrence decides he would like to do two chicks at the same time. Peter however comes to the conclusion that he would do nothing.

And that's when I realized that I too would like to do nothing. Everyone is indoctrinated into having this belief that we need a purpose or direction in life. Why? How can you argue that your life needs a purpose or direction if life in general doesn't even have a purpose? For the record, I'm jubilant that I exist and that existing is even possible, but I don't believe that it has any purpose. I believe it just... is.

I don't want to live my life operating under the pressures of society. I just want to live with no purpose, no goal, no end game in sight. I want to sit by myself with only my thoughts and just... exist. I don't aspire to obtain any occult knowledge about the world nor do I believe that I ever will. I just want to experience, to live, and to be free of society and all that it entails. I want to sit on some tropical island and watch the sun rise and fall as I listen to the birds chirp and the waves roll up onto the beach.

I just want to be.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by de Thor
I don't see how I fit into the picture that is society. Although I may be able to fake it, I have no desire to. I just don't "get" it. I don't get why people operate the way they do. They all seem wrapped up in this part of life that doesn't matter at all.

Honestly, no one even knows what we are. We call ourselves, "human", but really we can't honestly say that we know what that means. We don't know why we do what we do, we just do it and call it, "normal". We're like robots, programmed to do only what we're programmed to do.

Although this may seem comical to many, I had a revelation about myself while watching the movie Office Space. It's the part where Lawrence and Peter are talking about what they would do if they had a million dollars. Lawrence decides he would like to do two chicks at the same time. Peter however comes to the conclusion that he would do nothing.

And that's when I realized that I too would like to do nothing. Everyone is indoctrinated into having this belief that we need a purpose or direction in life. Why? How can you argue that your life needs a purpose or direction if life in general doesn't even have a purpose? For the record, I'm jubilant that I exist and that existing is even possible, but I don't believe that it has any purpose. I believe it just... is.

I don't want to live my life operating under the pressures of society. I just want to live with no purpose, no goal, no end game in sight. I want to sit by myself with only my thoughts and just... exist. I don't aspire to obtain any occult knowledge about the world nor do I believe that I ever will. I just want to experience, to live, and to be free of society and all that it entails. I want to sit on some tropical island and watch the sun rise and fall as I listen to the birds chirp and the waves roll up onto the beach.

I just want to be.

Too bad. You're a human with arms and legs and a brain. You are expected to use them all or you will die. It doesn't matter what you use them for, it just matters that you use them. Your purpose in life is to be human. As a human you have these things and these abilities that no other creature has. Live life to the fullest.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

How can you argue that your life needs a purpose or direction if life in general doesn't even have a purpose?

Sounds like this is your theme song:

If everyone had basically the same goal or purpose in mind, then life in general would have a purpose.

But since everyone seems to be on their own individual page, life in general seems to have no purpose. But just like everything else......things take time. I wanted to be divorced yesterday but I have to wait for the process to play out. All good things will come in due time. Sometimes you have to wait longer than you want.

Who knows, you might win the lottery tomorrow and be able to buy your own island

edit on 15-3-2012 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Too bad. You're a human with arms and legs and a brain. You are expected to use them all or you will die. It doesn't matter what you use them for, it just matters that you use them. Your purpose in life is to be human. As a human you have these things and these abilities that no other creature has. Live life to the fullest.

I will - according to my standards.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Couldn't agree more...I sit there and watch people obviously driven to...well...I don't really know what to oO.....I don't understand aswell. and they get mad at anybody not participating in whatever it is they think they're doing. we. it's not that I think it's wrong to have a job or anything, but the way people take it so seriously is what gets me...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You need some inspiration my friend, and some motivation. Someone has to be at the top so why not you? But to each their own

PS. You sound like a Buddhist monk
edit on 15-3-2012 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

It's your life.. live it the way you want to!

Just remember that your life in any way or form does have purpose & direction.. I did reply to your thread.. right?

If you did not have purpose or direction you would have not created this thread in the first place.. you would have just kept your thoughts to yourself and let it be. The body has no direction without the mind, and the mind has no purpose without the body, and the human does not exist without the "light" that he essentially is

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

the purpose is to learn/grow within the confines of human possibility.

edit on 15-3-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

I will - according to my standards.

That's fine, but. Your standards are human standards and your potential is a human potential. As such, your standards are already pre-determined as a relatively short list of possible standards. You may choose from this list as you like.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My desire in life is to be able to communicate fluently with animals.

That might be possible.

I have another desire that is to have mind over matter.

That's probably impossible.

I also have a desire to be a maintenance technician making at least 18 an hour.

That's probably all that will happen.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

What are you talking about.. you already accomplished mind over matter! Can ya move your arm?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

My desire is to just exist and experience. I don't desire happiness, I don't desire bliss, I surely don't desire unhappiness nor do I desire material things or other worldly abilities.

I want to accept everything as it is and just be. Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
You made a post on a Philosophy forum about Nihilism, so aside from informing us that these are your beliefs, which would go better say in General Chit Chat. I think you are wanting to argue?

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

de Thor,

Take a minute and read one of my latest threads on ATS, I believe you'll be able to relate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know what you are trying to convey, but words just can't seem to do it these days.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

My desire is to just exist and experience. I don't desire happiness, I don't desire bliss, I surely don't desire unhappiness nor do I desire material things or other worldly abilities.

I want to accept everything as it is and just be. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's good. But laziness isn't the answer. If you don't desire material things, then work for your survival, only. And if thats not enough, help propogate the survival of others. Work is fun if you have the right job.

It's impossible to "just exist". You were created with arms and legs with the intention that you use them. Sounds like your brain is being used in the right way though.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EternalFire

What are you talking about.. you already accomplished mind over matter! Can ya move your arm?

I want to move other things. I want to create things out of thin air.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I just want to be.

As if you have not realised more than most people who are seeking occult knowledge. To just be. I on the other hand have a life purpose but It was not what I was indoctrinated to belive all my life. I also do not like the systems at all with it's parasitic powerpyramids where you are supposed to manipulate yourself to the top to win material things and be "special". I belive by winning in the game you are in fact losing. I hope I have not climbed to far up to get to much bad karma. I sit on the sidelines and watch most people around me playing "the Game" and caring and struggling so much. To me they are crazy and living in a dream of ego. Some seem to awakeening to the insanity of it all.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I just want to be.

You've just figured out one of life's great truths, sir, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The great truths are somehow always holy yet disreputable at the same time, and thus often seem ridiculous on the surface. But this is a very serious matter - the most serious there is, actually - how to use your life and what to value.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'd like the million dollars so I can sit and do nothing.

I hope some generous Russian billionaire is reading this. Go on, make my day.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I feel like I was born into a game of monopoly and all the properties were already owned. Those who have accepted the game fit into the machine like a cog and keep it running, happily clawing their way up the pyramid and expecting everyone else to do the same. But some of us are calling BS on the whole thing.

My main issue is that participation in society is for the most part non-consensual. Sure you could disappear into the woods somewhere, but most of us are domesticated and wouldn't last a week. Besides, even the woods are owned by someone and we would likely be "trespassing". Society imposes on us and punishes when we don't abide by the rules of those who were born before us. It's sad, it's wrong, and it damn well better change.

Master/slave relationships suck. Symbiosis is the path to a brighter future. Humanity better understand this before it's too late, otherwise civilization may collapse / reset.
edit on 3/15/2012 by circlemaker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join