It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drive a Gas Guzzler? Think about this.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Don't be an ass, bikes are practical for the city. If there's a mass transit system in place you don't have any worries for dates.

Only when you live in rural Oklahoma like me, it would be an awfully large chunk of your day pedalling 30 miles to work/school.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I just posted this on another thread but here is a bit of it
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Unlike most hydrogen-powered vehicles, the H2R doesn't operate on a fuel cell but rather uses a modified 6-litre, 12-cylinder combustion engine for its propulsion that essentially emits nothing but steam

Goeschel, responsible for technology and development at BMW, said the streamlined rocket car sprints from 0 to 100 kmh in about six seconds and reached a top speed of 302.4 kmh on BMW's test track at Miramas, France.
more

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Sauron paint that thing black and add some fins and you have a new batmobile. I looks cool I would by one if it wasnt like a million dollars.

I think looks are a problem for hybrids right now. Hybrids are great on MPG but why do they have to look ugly as sin. It dont cost any more money to design a good looking car compared to a ugly one.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Yeah I really want to ride a bike 10-15 miles to work everyday. And girls love it when you pick them up on your BMX

Bikes are great for the enviroment but there just not practical for most people. well unless your 12 yrs old

I used to live seven miles exactly from my work in Springfield, Virginia. There were bike trails through county parks that I could take to get to work. The bike ride was 30 minutes at a casual pace. The car ride was 15 minutes at speed limit. During rush hour, the car ride was an hour. If you live in Northern Virginia you know what I mean.

Definition of stress is being in a vehicle capable of doing 140mph and going 10 - 15 for an hour.

There was shower at work. I just pack work clothing, ride to work, shower up, and start work.

Doing this for three months I lost 30 pounds. The bike ride home cleared my head of work stress completely, what I call decompress. When I drove home (during rush hour) I would need to decompress from work and the commute. Also, there's no option to hit up a drive-through when on a bike.

Of course I still had my truck for when I wasn't commuting to work.

Biking to work was something I really, really enjoyed, and it was available because there were paths on which to do it.

Where I live now I can't bike to work - the roads are just unsafe and there's no bike path room on the shoulder. I like biking to work because I don't have to set aside gym time, it just comes with my daily commute.

It was also nice having the same amount of gas in my vehicle I had in it when I used it on Friday nights that it had on Sunday, without pouring more into it.

I'm all for government making bike paths more available. It's not a requirement to commute, but man it is really enjoyable and good for you, and good on gas, too.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Yeah I really want to ride a bike 10-15 miles to work everyday. And girls love it when you pick them up on your BMX

Bikes are great for the enviroment but there just not practical for most people. well unless your 12 yrs old

Have you ever been to the Netherlands? A good percentage of the population commutes to work everyday by bike. And bike paths are found everywhere.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Im just talking about in America I have a 40 mile round trip to work each day. A bike is just not a option for me and alot of people. What am I going to pick my kids up from soccer practice on a bike? Can I bring home my groceries from the store on a bike? Bikes are just not a option or practical for alot of people.

XL5

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
If you double the weight, you need 4 times the power to move it to a certain speed then you did when it was lighter.

Too bad there are not energy dense fuel cells that run off of those blue propane torch cannisters and output 500W 24-36V. If there was then electric bikes/scooter would take off, it would be the best of gas and electric power.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

A bike is just not a option for me and alot of people. What am I going to pick my kids up from soccer practice on a bike? Can I bring home my groceries from the store on a bike?

Yes, I understand. But in Holland they do just that. They go with their kids on bikes, and they carry groceries on bikes. And there are lots of people who travel a considerable amount of distance to work every day on a bike. 40 miles is kinda too much though, so most take the train. Of course most people there have cars though. I've lived there for 4 years.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Too bad there are not energy dense fuel cells that run off of those blue propane torch cannisters and output 500W 24-36V. If there was then electric bikes/scooter would take off, it would be the best of gas and electric power.

You'd be just as well off with a moped or a motorcycle that used alcohol or veg oil, if you're trying to be environmentally safe. Propane is a finite supply too.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The only thing that prevents the US from gaining more non-petroleum transportation methods is cheap gas. Unfortunately that seems to be the basis for our economy and military as well. Solution? Tax gas and use the tax revenue to build a more diversified infrastructure. The increase in gas prices will also compell capitalist business ventures to provide the consumer with a cheaper alternative.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Face it these people driving around, by themselves, in an offensively large SUV in the city need to be stopped. There should be more room for cyclists in towns and cities too. In london it is dangerous to cycle around, I know because i do it and people get killed all the time. The large amounts of traffic everywhere, many places gridlocked, and there are no decent cycle lanes or anything in most places. Public transport should be improved and expanded so more people use it.

I heard about a recent study which showed that being in a city and spending time near lots of traffic was like smoking 60 ciggs a day. These emissions are bad for us and our enviroment. Society needs to address these issues because we can easily change for the better.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

I heard about a recent study which showed that being in a city and spending time near lots of traffic was like smoking 60 ciggs a day.

I always love being told, on a busy city street, that smoking is bad for me by someone breathing air through which a brown fog develops at 200 meters.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yeah.. ban cars in public before you ban smoking, thats what I say.

XL5

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Propane is limited but its cleaner and if used on a bike and used by people who would normally take a car or SUV when they don't need something that big or the gass price is too high that day would do lots of good.

It would lower gas prices, lead to more alternitives and lower emissions. If normal gas could be used in a fuel cell with the same power as a gas engine, you would use less gas because fuel cell efficiency is alot higher then ICE's.

But super duper capacitors would be the best if they had a good energy density.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Propane is not cleaner than alcohol and is probably not very much cleaner than veg oil (both of which are renewable). Nothing you said discounts motorcycles and I wonder if you know what a moped is.

XL5

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I do know what a moped is, I make them and motor scooters. Propane is cleaner then gas. Pressurized propane is cheap compaired to pressurized alcohol.

The main reason people compain and make laws against motor scooters and mopeds is that they make noise ("kids" get hurt on them is a scapegoat). No one wants electric because they don't have the power that a normal engine has, they don't get the range and you have to recharge them between rides.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
more people should do like i do and live close to work, schools and shopping. i can walk to all the store i need, my sons school is two blocks away, and i can ride a bike to/from work during the non frigid months, bout 5 miles each way. every day i watch all of the people stacked up on the freeways and think about how much of their lives they are throwing away sitting in their car everyday. that and its expensive to buy the gas for that too.

but for me its about time and convenience, not so much about saving gas, but it works out that way too.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Have a look at my post about Iceland changeing toward a hydrogen economy. THERE IS HOPE!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Allthough the question: "will we invade Iceland next" does arise.....

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Yeah.. ban cars in public before you ban smoking, thats what I say.

Absolutely!! A sudy showed that you are better off starting to smoke 20 a day that to go live in Mexico City! Put a warning lable on Mexico City, or on every Car!!

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
well i'm quite happy with my 1045 c.c VW polo that can get 40+ to the gallon and still reach 100mph

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join