It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fracking in New York: Risk vs. Reward

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
The debate seems to be about profit vs damage IMO

It seems many have been trying to determine THAT very sensitive "ratio" for many years.

The "Golden" ratio is the end goal for money vs conscience.

The State of New York I'm sure, has had some of both.

New York is a fracking target:

updated 12:22 PM EST, Fri March 9, 2012 -- CNN

(CNN) -- The battle over hydraulic fracturing in the state of New York pits farmers against environmentalists, neighbor vs. neighbor, as gas companies wait to find out if they'll be able to unlock the natural gas trapped in the Marcellus Shale formation thousands of feet below the earth's surface.

As a panel appointed by New York's governor looks into whether it can be done safely in New York, landowners look with envy toward neighboring Pennsylvania, where gas companies are paying in excess of $1,000 per acre plus royalties for the right to drill for natural gas on a property.

Long and Informative Article

New York governor pauses 'fracking'

The debate over fracking in New York is heated. More than 65,000 comments were submitted by the public during the state's environmental review process. Kate Sinding, an attorney with the environmental group the National Resources Defense Council, is among those leading the fight against fracking.

Related Thread about Ohio Fracking:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is it all worth it ??

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
This is a hot topic where I live (Finger Lakes area, NY) and the opposition to fracking is pretty strong. Lots of anti-fracking signs in people's yards. The reasons to allow fracking: money for landowners and short-term job creation, seem to be far outweighed by the reasons to ban it: skyrocketing rental markets that price out locals, destroyed roads, a temporary (2-4 year) boost to the economy followed by permanently abandoned large scale industrial infrastructure, increased burden on local officials to enforce regulations and police fracking activity.

But the biggest issue is the threat of contaminated drinking water. Lots of people are on well water out here, including me, and contaminated aquifers are just not something that can be fixed. In Pennsylvania, where fracking has been going on for something like 10 years, people can light their drinking water on fire.

Don't know what else to say about it, really.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Some of the townships around me are not waiting for the New York state government to ban fracking, but are imposing their own local bans within the town limits.

I volunteer with my local food pantry, and we've recently had a family move to the area from Pennsylvania. The father works for the fracking industry, and has stayed behind in PA to continue his job. The mother and children are utterly destitute, and looking for food aid and other assistance. I haven't heard the full story of what happened to them, but it seems that the fracking industry's big sell on job creation did not work out for these particular people.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by illusi0n

Great info from someone "on site" !!

Thanks for contributing.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I know it isn't your intention but the title of your thread to me is like saying...

Home invasions in New York - Risk versus reward. OR
Drive by shooting in NY - Risk versus reward.

Fracking is wrong.

Zero risk and a bounty of reward and it will STILL BE WRONG.

I am against fracking and can't even believe such a thing is being discussed and considered a viable option for pulling fuel out of the earth. It is barbaric and anti human, anti-planet, anti-water. Is there no end to what parts of the world will be destroyed for profits?

Is this ethical?

...land owners look with envy toward neighboring Pennsylvania, where gas companies are paying in excess of $1,000 per acre plus royalties for the right to drill for natural gas on a property.

People who do not care about their land or their neighbors can allow it and then move? How is this even ethical. Everyone in the area should be consulted and waving money out in front of people so you can do something wrong if not yet "illegal" is coercion and bribery.

edit on 11-3-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by xuenchen

I know it isn't your intention but the title of your thread to me is like saying...

Home invasions in New York - Risk versus reward. OR
Drive by shooting in NY - Risk versus reward.

Fracking is wrong.

Zero risk and a bounty of reward and it will STILL BE WRONG.

I am against fracking and can't even believe such a thing is being discussed and considered a viable option for pulling fuel out of the earth. It is barbaric and anti human, anti-planet, anti-water. Is there no end to what parts of the world will be destroyed for profits?

I agree.

I used the CNN article's title.

Some CNN advertisers may have a vested interest.

new topics

top topics

join