It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The LRA is a christian militia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
So I just finished watching the now famous video about Joseph Kony, leader of the Lords Resistance Army, a self proclaimed christian militia. In a nutshell, his crimes involve kidnapping leader of a Ugandan militia who's crimes involve murder, abduction, mutilation, sexual enslavement of women and children and forcing children to participate in hostilities. The same group identifies itself as a christian group that fights to a theocratic state based on the Ten Commandments and local Acholi tradition
(source:wiki)

While the recent Joseph Kony video brought this criminal to peoples attention globally, it doesn't mention that Konys mlitia describes itself as "christian". Another interesting fact is that an American christian commentator Rush Limbaugh opposed American intervention against Konys militia in 2008 because he felt the LRA were Christians fighting the muslims in Sudan, and that troops were being sent to kill christians.

My point is that the LRA can be legitimately labelled as a Christian group, based on the words of its own leaders. So now, Christians need not attempt to side step this issue saying they "aren't true(TM) Christians" and whatnot.... because every single time an "islamic" terror group shows up, in a backwards third world country, christians are quick to use the words and deeds of those so called "muslims" to label Islam and all muslims as violent. (Refer to a recent thread about a Nigerian "Islamic" militia)

Let there be no double standards. What applies to "muslim" terrorist groups should apply to "christian" war criminals. Saying "oh those aren't real christians" doesn't cut it.

That said, apply whatever excuse you come up with to distance the LRA from christianity to "islamic" terrorist groups. If you feel the christian LRA aren't true christians, then *insert terrorists name* aren't true muslims either.

edit on 10-3-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

KONY's type of Christianity is so far removed from the truth as to be in a totally separate category. We're not talking Shia vs Sunni or Baptist vs Episcopalian here; this nutjob has totally gone off the reservation. He claims to be possessed by the Christian Holy Spirit at times. He also claims that on occasion he is possessed by the spirits of trees, goats, and any manner of flora or fauna that might be found in that region. "and Acholi tradition" is the part you are overlooking here.

Kony has bastardized Christianity, marrying it with the ancient Animist beliefs of the local tribes, much like Voodoo and Santeria, religions that have incorporated aspects of Catholicism into their rituals, but which could hardly be called Christian in any way shape or form. Try again homie.

edit on 3/10/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/10/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

The same argument can be used for any Islamic terrorist group as well. "They aren't really muslims".
For example...the 9/11 hijackers are also known to have visited strip clubs and consumed alcohol. That is never brought into consideration when they are highlighted as "muslim" fundamentalists.

Umpteen reasons can be cited to justify why a criminal claiming a certain religous identity is not exactly follower that religon. But that method of assessment seems to be only reserved for certain groups. Other groups are instantly identified as belonging to a particular religion which gets labelled as "violent", "barbaric" etc.
edit on 10-3-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Wow.. Where can anyone call the LRA Christian anything?? They're about as Christian as a suicide bomber is Muslim. People in both examples will learn all that when they meet the Big Guy in the here after.

Has anyone here worked in that part of Africa? Met the child soldiers and victims of the LRA? Anyone here have personal, first hand experience and knowledge to share? I would LOVE to hear more. My opinions are formed by several hours spent talking to a very personable young lady at a protest...who spent a couple years of the recent past doing Missionary work right in the middle of what the LRA call's their personal playground.

I'll share just one thing she impressed upon me. Of the hours we talked, this one thing is what stood out as the point to relay in a future chat with others. She asked me if I'd seen Blood Diamond. Which I have. One of the better activist type movies, in fact. She went on to explain that the opening scenes of that movie where they depicted the evil methods of "recruiting" children and turning them into murdering monsters are all very close to how the real L.R.A. operates on a daily basis. She HAD met the children who survived and somehow wound up outside and in a position of needing help.

After my chat with her and further research? I may disagree with Obama to the CORE on 99.9% of what he does...but among that .1% would be the deployment of Special Forces to hunt down and slaughter the L.R.A. leadership like rabid dogs. I wish them Gods speed. If Obama got NOTHING else right this term, he was 100% correct on THIS use of United States Military Forces.

(hops off his soapbox)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
terrorist is a terrorist because of what they do.....not what church they go to.....
Plenty of all kinds of extremes in the name of religion, but that dont make the terrorists anything but what they do
\\the hipocracy would be a lot more blatant if youd have picked the baptists against islam......

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
My point is that there is a major double standard when it comes to labellng a group as "terrorist".

Christians distance themselves from the self proclaimed Christian militia, the LRA ... because they don't want to be associated with it. In fact, the LRA being a christian militia is not even mentioned in reports about the LRA and Kony.
If Kony happened to be muslim, the LRA would have been paraded about by everybody as another islamic terrorist group.

join