It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Optical Super-Chip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
An Optochip (chip operating through fiber optics) has been created, setting a record...for one trillion bites per second. That's right, this chip will process one trillion bites in a second.

Even more, this chip doesn't require a lot of power. Which means it's created for commercial use...not a special order purchase. According to this article, a 100-watt light bulb could power 20 of the optical chips. It isn't quite ready for stores yet, but it's coming.

Imagine when this hits the market? Or even when all of the hardware in the world has this capacity?

Optical Chips

edit on CFridaypm272706f06America/Chicago09 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thats pretty amazing, IBM seem to be making breakthroughs in a lot of areas these days, in fact have they traditionally not been the largest holder of patents anyways. Good to see continuing breakthroughs in these fields, a glimpse perhaps where consumer computing may be in 15 years perhaps? lol

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

HOLY CRAP GIMMI, GIMMI, GIMMI, GIMMI, GIMMI, GIMMI, GIMMI, GIMMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I render stuff I needs a chip this fast!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Nevermind it looks like it is a networking switch chip... but still Terabit networking wow!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

That’s like downloading 500 HD movies at once

I want one of those!
This is amazing. I like where technology is going. Definitely some fun times ahead. (If the elite don't unleash their wrath, that is)
:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 1lluminatus

Yeah this is what you use to connect neural pathways in a positronic brain MUHWAHAHAHA!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
reply to post by 1lluminatus

Yeah this is what you use to connect neural pathways in a positronic brain MUHWAHAHAHA!

You never know...they may use these chips when constructing a brain-machine interface. I would certainly be interested in seeing a compact optical processor with the speed of 6 trillion bits of ram made from optic material translating and interpreting our brain waves. I would be intensely interested to see that.

Long have I dreamed of a tiny machine that can translate brain waves and project a web site onto your eye. Complete with applications and everything. Keep files somewhere in your brain that is easily accessed. Surf the internet while walking about, with charge lasting up to 3 days...

That would be the epitome of computing technology. There's absolutely no doubt about that. Wearing your computer in an ear piece? Seeing your computer monitor in a contact lens? Trillions of bites per second? You could sit in a bar and check your Facebook or your email, even play internet games or listen to music, or perhaps finish your office work...type up an essay or do some spare research or studying in preparation for your test... and not have to touch a single button or lift a finger.

What's not to love?
edit on CFridaypm000029f29America/Chicago09 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I used to follow the transhumanist movement but spending 13+ years in IT has taught me that might be a nightmare to be trapped in a computerized mind and body...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
An Optochip (chip operating through fiber optics) has been created, setting a record...for one trillion bites per second. That's right, this chip will process one trillion bites in a second.

Imagine when this hits the market? Or even when all of the hardware in the world has this capacity?

It's not a processor but a transceiver. Faster networking is nice, but only if you can process the data.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I think that the fact that this chip is a networkers dream will count very well for the future of the internet. One would assume that the ability to process data through a network faster, will mean that bandwidth use will be reduced in cost eventually, since service providers will be able to offer faster transfer speeds, freeing up masses of space in thier network for people to use.

Voice activation software is becoming more widely used, incredible speeds are being achieved with new hardware like this invention, and the advent of the nano transistor, touch screens and meta material hardware are being developed in the skunkworks of many of the big players on the mobile market, I think it is only a matter of time before we get to the stage of being able to achieve parity with certain elements of science fiction technology. Hand held gear is already capable of myriad tasks that used to require enormous material and power resources.

This invention and others like it, are stepping stones, the steps on the stair that will allow us to meet the uncertain future which we face, with the confidence that comes of being able to access the entire sum of human knowledge, any time, any where.

new topics

top topics

join