It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon church restricts access to Jewish names

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

What would Israel say ?

Is this real ?

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Mormon leaders have put up a virtual firewall in their massive genealogical database to block out anyone who attempts to access the names of hundreds of thousands of Holocaust victims the church has agreed not to posthumously baptize.

The move comes amid criticism that the Salt Lake City-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hasn't done enough to live up to commitments to stop its members worldwide from performing the baptism ritual on Holocaust victims and other notable Jews.

The new system will immediately block church members' access should they try to seek out names of Holocaust victims or other notable figures that have been flagged as not suitable for proxy baptisms. The church said the move is aimed at ending the practice. ...

Longshot: Is this an anti Romney thing ?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I just baptised every single dead Mormon to my own religion.

I win.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

That's just anti-semitic

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Mormons believe the baptism ritual allows deceased people a way to the afterlife — if they choose to accept it.

But the practice offends members of many other religions, especially Jews, who have expressed outrage at attempts to alter the religion of Holocaust victims because they were killed based on their beliefs.

In the 1990s, after negotiations with Jewish leaders, the church agreed to end to the practice, but revelations by an ex-Mormon researcher have shown it continues.

^^ From OP link

I'm not sure I'm getting the point on this? From the article it sounds like they're doing what they were asked...if not indirectly told to do by the Jewish Faith. Inter-Church/Temple kind of stuff.

As far as turning off their access, well...... They run perhaps the largest and most complete genealogical database in existence. They don't build it as a hobby, but as a core of their Faith and with all the focus that suggests. It's their database though and that is internal Church business as well. Faith stuff....i.e. Constitutionally protected areas that are none of the media's business to go digging into kind of stuff. Just my thoughts.

I'm not sure what kind of crusade this person is on, but I dare say if I were meddling in Mosque records for the sole purpose of attacking and opening the Islamic Faith to ridicule....I wouldn't get away with it for long. Nor should she.

I don't much agree with the LDS Church on much of anything at all, but it's that American thing about their right to handle their own business in whatever way floats their boat that matters here, IMO.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I've read about this, the OP doesn't know the whole story, this is the whole story...

When the Mormon church were doing what they do, temple baptisms for dead people
they decided to baptize some famous dead people, I found this from searching on Einstein,
I don't have the article now, but you can look for it. The Mormons baptized Albert Einstein,
when the Jews heard about it, or perhaps relatives of Einstein heard about it, they demanded
that the Mormon church un-baptize Einstein, this apparently caused a big uproar among
the Jews, in response the Jews asked that the Mormons do not baptize their people, an
agreement was made, this agreement must have included holocaust victims.

The new Mormon rule is they can only baptize the dead, if those dead have living members
in the Mormon church.

I would say this is 100% an anti-Romney article, because this is OLD news, when I read
about the Einstein thing it was 5+ years ago.
edit on 9-3-2012 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I can't stop laughing!!!! Best story i've heard all year, thanks xuenchen!!

They're DEAD people ... wtf are people fighting over dead people? Baptism of dead people? Protecting the "souls" of dead people, against their wishes? Let's get all the priests to have an Adam baptism battle, maybe some of them will drown each other, and they can fight over who baptised who to death!!!!

top topics

join