It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Tornadoes Created Strange Seismic Waves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
came across this. not sure if it is old.

news.yahoo.com...

The deadly storms that struck the Midwest and South last week were so strong that they created seismic waves.

One of the twisters that struck southeastern Missouri and southern Illinois on Feb. 29 passed through a seismic detection array that includes more than 100 state-of-the-art digital seismographs across the U.S. heartland. While seismographs have been known to detect seismic activity related to tornadoes, it is highly unusual to have the instruments recording information so close to a tornado, the researchers said.

cool bit if info i think might shed some light on some things.

figured it was up ATS's alley

link for full article
edit on 8-3-2012 by omegacorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
the experiment is called " OIINK "

XD love it

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
i will stack this in my HAARP data that i have for the storm. i will look in to tornadoes and seismic activity before i jump to any conclusions.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So if I understood the article correctly, the tornadoes leave literal kinetic footprints. Or rather, the storms bearing them do. That's actually fascinating to know that there is enough of a pressure change to actually register on seismos. I wonder if this could eventually be adapted for a better prediction system some day?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

i would think the storm would need to be on the ground to have the effect.
at best you would see a sprite before a tornado. with all the lightning and that jazz.

you may be right

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
..more likely that the ground is 'shivering' due to the huge electric currents that ground at the funnel touch point.

tornado electric currents

"The calculations imply that a tornado is electrically equivalent to several hundred isolated thunderstorm cells active simultaneously. "

new topics

top topics

join