It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy to place breath-test machines on all its ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The thing that I want to know, is whether or not I can still rinse with listerine before I brush my teeth about an hour before work.

I think the Navy is just looking for more ways to justify downsizing people. These things go in cycles.

Source

NORFOLK, Va. — In 1913, Navy Secretary Josephus Daniels issued a revolutionary order: no more alcohol on board ships. According to official Navy myth, sober sailors mocked their boss by nicknaming their coffee — the strongest drink still allowed on board — a “cup of Joe.”

A century later, current Navy Secretary Ray Mabus is one-upping Daniels, ordering the installation of breath-test machines on all ships and submarines, as well as on Marine Corps bases. One can only imagine how he will go down in naval lore.

According to Mabus, the breath tests are not intended as a crackdown measure but rather to help identify sailors who might be struggling with booze. The alcohol testing is part of a broader new Navy program designed to improve the physical and mental well-being of those having difficulty coping with the stresses of a decade of war.

By detecting those who show up to work with a drink or two still in their system — especially on more than one occasion — the Navy will be able to intervene and offer counseling before things escalate, he said.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea, why should anyone be allowed to drink on the job? Esspecially when your job it to man a ship capable of starting world war or a submarine with a nuclear warhead.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
How Interesting. Do you know how the men are reacting to this news? I hope the counselors are qualified. Using alcohol to deaden pain or to mask guilt can really lead to destroted lives, so I wish this program all the best for sure.
edit on 6-3-2012 by aboutface because: Sorry Elijah, meant to repl to the OP

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

This is all about making money selling those machines , of you trace the bill who introduced it and who is selling the equipment to the navy you will have your thief. Yes thief because you know the machines will be sold at at least a thousand percent mark up and probably much more.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

Ah ha, follow the money.

Someones brother in law no doubt...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

You evidently have no clue , you think any joe smoe can launch a nuke , it is a very detailed process requiring multiple levels of agreement with proper codes and two keys inserted at different stations so one person can't do it .

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

Yes but they probably should check the crane operator before a weapons move.

Navy ships really do have backups for their backups. Lots of cross checking and redundancy.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Heh... breathalyzers on US Navy ships.

If I had a dollar for every time we got underway from liberty call in a foreign port with a large number of shipmates severely hungover, I'd be a very rich girl. You don't need a machine to identify the drunks and lushes, everyone already knows who they are. Unfortunately they often reside in the goat locker, or have their own staterooms.

top topics

join