It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have all been right about the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well it does look like the moon has changed, and flipped and looked like it has been drunk on some days. I was browsing youtube and found this video.

Even the stars look off.

Like supposed Venus and Jupiter are trailing each other, but they are like so far away from the moon. Usually, they are like so close to the moon, not anymore. And tonight when you go out there, the stars make this kind of V shape
You should see it right below the moon, but I don't think you'll be able to pick it up with a camera.

Kinda of cool either way.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Well it does look like the moon has changed, and flipped...

1. He was running a computer simulation, NOT showing something that has actually happened.

2. The simulation, believe it or not, is CORRECT, and yes the moon does turn.

3. Anyone who actually got their bum off their chair, went outside and observed the moon and got familiar with what it looks like would know this.

4. Anyone who could do a google search would also know this is normal.

5. People who stay inside and read conspiracy websites are notoriously lacking in knowledge about astronomy.

Edit - just to be clear, there are two major ways that the orientation of the moon changes.
1 - Nutation, and other similar effects cause a slight rocking motion, as seen over weeks and months.
2 - The orientation in the sky, as it rises, moves across the sky and sets causes a HUGE amount of change of orientation from the observers point of view.

edit on 4-3-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

But.. the moon has always done that, since.. forever. Actually, it doesn't technically "flip" around like that, it's just an eye illusion.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well, I thought it was, my bad.
I definitely can't get my alien image though my telescope anymore from the moon, that totally disappeared. Oh well.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
For anyone who wants to learn more, try it yourself.

Get off yer fat ### and go outside with a pencil and paper and draw a simple picture of the moon.

Depending on where you live, for most people in the world the moon currently rises in the middle of the afternoon and sets after midnight in the wee small hours of the night.

1. In the evening, shortly after the moon has risen, DRAW a picture of it.
Doesnt have to be a good drawing, but put the horizon in, and enough dark splotches on the moon so you know which way up it goes.
If you like, draw in a few of the brighter stars near it as well, keeping the orientation correct.

2. Many hours later, perhaps nearing midnight, do it again.

You'll see for yourself, and you'll learn that the orientation does indeed change.
Its not a real change, just as seen from the point of view of people standing on a rotating sphere.

Get away from youtube.
Try it for yourself.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
It IS made of cheese? I KNEW it. Wallace and Gromit were right.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
well, the zodiac changed by an entire month and although this happens gradually... some of this does not seem to be gradual according to what is siad about the more rapid changes.

they actually blamed that on the moon or something didn't they.

i gave up trying to understand what the hell is going on in the sky. i'm no astronomer and have no telescope and without even looking for anything i have been noticing weird stuff left and right. it practically jumps out at you.
edit on 5-3-2012 by BlackSatinDancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Looks like he is using Stellarium. You can download it for free:

www.stellarium.org...

Just choose your Operating System on the right.

It runs independent of the Internet. You can set a range of dates, find objects, speed up many different rates, forwards and backwards, etc.

A very neat feature is being able to put yourself (your point-of-view) on other planets in our Solar System. And the Mars moons Deimos and Phobos, too.

There are plenty of Internet sources that explain why the Moon's apparent angle relative to the horizon changes in the sky.....just as the constellations do, as the Earth rotates, and also because of our axial tilt. It's complicated to describe in words, so pictures and video help.

Maybe there is a nearby Planetarium handy to you as well....always a good learning experience.

edit on Mon 5 March 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Here's the moons wobbling effect, quite a sexy dance its doing up there!

Manhater, I would suggest you maybe grab some astronomy books from a library. Its quite an interesting subject and just getting a little more background knowledge will help you out a bit more with your posts (in the astronomy side of things) to avoid being embarrassed. We are all born dopey, but continue to feed your noggin the good stuff and the more it will want to know!!

edit on 5-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
For anyone who wants to learn more, try it yourself.

Get off yer fat ### and go outside with a pencil and paper and draw a simple picture of the moon.

Get away from youtube.
Try it for yourself.

that's really no way to talk to a person.
do you come across this angry in real life?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

I tried stellarium, that thing looks so animated and fake.
And that NASA one with moon, now that image looks a little drunk.

edit on 5-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

It does indeed look like its drunk, soon enough some pop-star will learn its moves and it will be a dance craze! Hang on, can we call it 'do the lunarlambada'?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Huh?

I tried stellarium, that thing looks so animated and fake.

Well, of course it's an animation!! It is a computer program! And, it's friggin' free!!

You're missing the point....it is an accurate representation of objects' location and relationships to other objects. Orbital mechanics. (And no, those aren't people you call to fix satellites).

The laws of motion are quite clear, and they can be defined using mathematic. So, that is what Stellarium does.

A shame that someone who starts a thread about a celestial (non)-event which indicates that she might need a bit more learning about the topic, then discards a possible free educational tool for no valid reason.

You either improve your knowledge, or remain ignorant of things that many, many people already know.

Think about that....

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
As already explained by others....but the OP it seems wishes to be obtuse. I would understand if they were witty or even cheeky...

I think alfa gave the best scenario for anyone wanting to do a bit of science and not rely upon some crazy person's twisted youtube video they created in their bedroom. Go outside and explore the world and learn.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Ahem...

can we please get back on topic and stop discussing other members.

TIA

edit on Mon Mar 5 2012 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join