It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Gambling Gold Rush In Michigan. (???)

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
And where do they think all of us Michiganders are going to get the money to gamble? There is a reason that the casinos we have do well; it's because there isn't that many. If 22 More casinos were to pop up it would just put strain on the ones already in operation. My wifes family is Ottowa (wife is 1/4) and their tribe has a casino up north that would suffer because of this.

www.freep.com...


Private investors and Indian tribes are proposing 22 new casinos across lower Michigan, and metro Detroit is clearly among the targets of the gambling gold rush.

Hopefuls are wagering -- against long odds -- on plans that could make them millions of dollars while also nearly doubling the number of casinos in the state. Six organizations want in on the game -- two investor groups separately seeking state constitutional amendments and four tribes trying to expand off-reservation gambling.


Hear is a voice of opposition.


Opposition's viewpoint

James Nye, a spokesman for a coalition of tribes and Detroit casinos preparing to fight the Michigan First effort, said his group is ready to raise $50 million to stop the new casinos. The group, Protect MI Vote, says casino expansion would circumvent state voters' approval in 2004 of a constitutional amendment requiring both statewide approval of non-tribal casino expansion and approval of local voters where a casino would locate.

Nye's group represents the MGM Grand Detroit and Greektown casinos and two tribes: the Saginaw Chippewa, which own Soaring Eagle in Mt. Pleasant, and the Nottawaseppi Huron Band, which owns FireKeepers Casino near Battle Creek. Nye said Michigan First wants to write its eight casinos into the state constitution, exempting them from the strict Michigan regulatory oversight required for the existing Detroit casinos.



"They are really unbelievably brazen with their plan to sell off pieces of our constitution to their investors," Nye said. "Worst of all, there is no transparency," he said, adding that it remains possible for any amendment that goes before voters to not include the names of the casino owners.


So what does everyone else think of this?

Are the other Michiganders on here in approval of this or not?




posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
i'm not from michigan, but i've seen pictures of detroit. detroit makes beirut look like caesar's palace.

maybe people from michigan should get their priorities straight. this is corruption at a giant scale, and it's hard to keep it secret with so many greedy savages tearing at the same piece of meat.



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname
 


I know, as if we don't have enough corruption as it is here. The FBI just launched a new task force to fight corruption after years of investigating. Some of the misdeeds are coming to light or will be in the near future. Here is a link to a thread about it if you or anyone is interested in reading the article.

www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311
 


It's possible that it would attract tourism.. I know all the casinos out here do exceptionally well. I never understood it personally.. I get going to Vegas, I love Vegas, but I never had a desire to drive to a Casino just to blow some money..

They say it "helps the economy" but in reality the only new money would be tourist, and it will place an added financial strain on those that become addicted.



posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311
 


I am opposed to indian tribes establishing casinos because it encourages a culture of excessive gambling, crime and fraud.

I think allowing indians to enrich themselves through small-business development (as opposed to casinos) is a better approach.

And yes, this whole act is suspect. Sounds like the State of Michigan would gladly sell off parts of its' constitution to the highest bidder. Not a good thing.



posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by usmc0311
 


It's possible that it would attract tourism.. I know all the casinos out here do exceptionally well. I never understood it personally.. I get going to Vegas, I love Vegas, but I never had a desire to drive to a Casino just to blow some money..

They say it "helps the economy" but in reality the only new money would be tourist, and it will place an added financial strain on those that become addicted.


The problem I believe is their is not enough tourists to support 22 new casinos. I think a few would do well in certain places though. And I think you are correct in the idea that it will add to gambling problems here.



posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by usmc0311
 


I am opposed to indian tribes establishing casinos because it encourages a culture of excessive gambling, crime and fraud.

I think allowing indians to enrich themselves through small-business development (as opposed to casinos) is a better approach.

And yes, this whole act is suspect. Sounds like the State of Michigan would gladly sell off parts of its' constitution to the highest bidder. Not a good thing.


I think there are some tribes who do it for those reasons, however, the smaller casinos that I have been to, (mainly up north) are nice places ran by nice people. I think you are right about there being more small buisness opportunities as opposed to casinos though. I think the Michigan government just wants their hands in more casinos. They are a liscence to print money.



posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311
 


I would say it attracts out of state / convention visitors.

Michigan is also a major corridor for traffic moving between the Us and Canada so its not out of the realm of possibility for Canadians to come over and spend some cash. Even mroe so since the Canadian dollar is on par if not worth more than the US dollar lately.



posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by usmc0311
 


I would say it attracts out of state / convention visitors.

Michigan is also a major corridor for traffic moving between the Us and Canada so its not out of the realm of possibility for Canadians to come over and spend some cash. Even mroe so since the Canadian dollar is on par if not worth more than the US dollar lately.


Yeah, but the Casinos in Windsor are awsome. Before 911 we used to go over there, but since 911 it takes way to long to get across and back. We do get alot of Canucks around here though,. Nice people.



posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Twenty-two casinos across lower Michigan?

There is a new casino being built in Toledo, it may already be open, I'm not sure. Then there are the ones right across the border in Canada. With the economy like it is, I can't see one, let alone 22. The only way I can see the people in the Toledo area going to Detroit instead of staying local, is because smoking is allowed in the Detroit casino, but will not be allowed in the new Toledo casino.



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join