It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automated sentry guns?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Are these for real or still a thing of the future?

If they're real, are there any that are in use with the military?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
been playing Splinter Cell huh?

i dont think they are a reality just yet.

at least they werent when i was in the Corp. (not that i know of at any rate).

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Actually, I got it from Aliens!

But I know what you're talking about.

Does anybody know when they'll come about?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The technology has certainly been around long enough...no biggie. Just the ethical question of an indiscriminate killing machine. Still, in an area using landmines, about the same thing.

Personally I'd like to see these used on the US Mexican border...but that's just me....but land mines are an acceptable substitute....

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I agree with Gazrok, they can and probably do exist, but they ain't smart enough to discriminate friend from foe. Once they figure that out, lots will be automated.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Actually, I got it from Aliens!

But I know what you're talking about.
Does anybody know when they'll come about?

Actually the Phalanx system fits the bill and is in use today. But its not very portable. The Technology should be avalible now though to put together such a system. But autonomous weapons scare me.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
yeah the phalanx rocks.
automated is the way but is not very ethical and scares me 2

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yep, forgot about the Phalanx.... For those less familiar, its a system aboard ships (mostly carriers) using a gun to destroy inbound threats.

Land mines can do the job though, on land, and are cheaper, easier to control, etc. so it's really no surprise the auto sentry guns never really came to be.....

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Found this:
Don't know if it can be used in fully automated mode but it's close..

The FARA-1 is all-weather automatic surveillance radar to detect moving targets (personnel and vehicles) against background of earth and water surfaces.

It is intended to:

monitor terrain areas and detect moving objects at a range of up to 4 km, acquire polar coordinates of the detected objects, lay the NNP-23 Night Vision Optical Device, as well as various automatic weapons (7.62 mm PKMSN Machine Gun, 12.7 mm NSVS Machine Gun and AGS-17 Grenade Launcher, etc.) on the target in poor optical visibility;

guard territories in automatic mode and generate light and sound warning signals upon detecting an intruder. The warning signal can be transmitted to the Control Post via radio channel.

The radar provides acquisition, tracking of the selected target, its type identification by the operator using head-phones. Operational modes and algorithms can be customized in accordance with the real situation.

Low weight of the FARA-1 Radar makes it particularly attractive for ground forces, rapid deployment and law enforcement units. The radar can be installed on a tripod, a tree, a building roof, a watch towers, or it can be carried on a strap. It can also be mounted on ground vehicles.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah, but remember the Sgt. York? It was supposed to somewhat autonomous, but it liked to lock on to the wrong targets, target towing aircraft and such. I'm sure we've come along way from that, but I'm still a wee leary of self controlled weapon systems.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
One word.....Skynet.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ive seen them on ships and they look absoloutley deadly,they track a target (incoming enemy aircraft) and pump it full of Lead,the footage ive seen showed the cannon changing direction super fast and continuing to follow the target right until it went into the sea-couldnt tell you where i saw it though.
I agree these things are very scary but would the answer to prevent freindly fire be to place some sort of identification tag on things such as hand weapons and equipment? the automated weapon only fires if no code is registered (still rather hit and miss though)

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The goalkeeper is the same kind of thing as the phalanx but more advanced and reliable, i know the Royal Navy use them as well as the phalanx.
All new ships will be equiped with the goalkeeper from now on and some old ships have been refitted with them too.

www.gdatp.com...
www.royal-navy.mod.uk...

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
yeah i didnt know about that thoug

but the kool thing on RN ships is the cats eyes, you can take control of all guns and the guns point where you look. is really freaky.

[edit on 21-9-2004 by devilwasp]

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
One word.....Skynet.

Exactly. Even though weapons systems like the Aegis, Patriot, and Phalanx have an "auto" mode, there is still a human in the loop monitoring. To give total controll to a live weapons system and let it hunt for targets is kind of foolhardy. i posted a thread on the Army buying autonomous UCARS that would use SAR to distingusih between who was armed and who was not. Betcha it can tell the difference between a kid holding an aluminum bat and a guy holding a rifle eh?

new topics

top topics

join