It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question on monitor DVI hook up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hmm, when it has the DVI and VGA, they both need to be plugged in? Can someone tell me the difference please. So I have to hook the DVI, and the VGA to get it to work? First time I've seen DVI on a monitor. Good thing my computer has the DVI hook up. But, I never seen that before, or understand how it works. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
No, you don't use both. Use the DVI because it has a better picture quality/resolution.

Edit: Actually, I don't think it offers higher resolution...but definitely better picture quality because it's digital, so it doesn't lose quality converting the signal to analog.
edit on 3/4/2012 by goochball because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

No, only use one.

Use the DVI it is generally far superior (it's digital vs. vga being analog)... and on some systems even quite noticeably.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by goochball
No, you don't use both. Use the DVI because it has a better picture quality/resolution.

Oh ok. The way they made it sound, was that I had to hook it both up. Ok, Thank you.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
You've been using VGA all this time? Wow... It's like meeting someone from antiquity. You better hurry or you'll miss the HDMI train.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yeah, yeah, I'm slowly getting in with the times.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thats what i was talking about on your last computer issue, by dual inputs i meant two ways (or more possibly) to connect a computer and therefore a switch to toggle between them.

Hope you got it all solved

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Shred

Just in case this response muddled things up. DVI is the equivalent to HDMI with one key difference. HDMI transfers SOUND AND VIDEO to the monitor and DVI transfers just video. So depends where you prefer to hook up your speakers, to the monitor or the computer.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm picking it up now. Buying all flat screens for the computers rather then jumbo monitors. Those things are heavy.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Yeah, I'm picking it up now. Buying all flat screens for the computers rather then jumbo monitors. Those things are heavy.

the thin ones use less juice too

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There is something you can do with dual hookups and use them both, but for one computer, just take the DVI as the far better of the two and go with it.

The dual inputs would allow something like a Laptop on the VGA and the Desktop on the DVI so a simple push of the source button on the monitor gives an instant change between computer displays with no more hassle than that.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
you could also dual screen as well, Which is what i have

I cannot live without dualscreen

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
What's the point of a dual screen? You can do two things at once? lol one monitor to surf on yahoo, and the other monitor to surf on ATS?

I got a HANNS G
edit on 4-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

You're a student right? (recalling previous posts the other night)... How about dual monitors to view your research material on one screen while your primary one holds the paper you're writing?

I'm like the other poster. I'm lost without a multi-monitor display now and I feel just about gimped at school with just one. The instructors probably wonder why I never stay longer than I must...and it isn't the class. It's their lack of equipment at the same level as home. lol....

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hmm, Never thought of it that way.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I whole heartedly agree with dual screen setups.

Since buying a new monitor many years back and thought i would leave the old one up, i never even thought how useful it would turn out to be.

Even today i run a large main screen and an older smaller one to the left, when either one breaks (usually the older one) i will upgrade to a better quality main screen and use the other one as my left hand screen

Its helpful for work or play to be able to have somthing on the second screen and not need to alt+tab between prorams or pages.

The only people ive seen who dont need two screens ot get the same done, have one WHOPPING huge main screen of like 26+ inches diagonal, so they can put two documents right next to each other on one screen. Show offs! two screens is way cheaper if your graphics card can handle it.

join