It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins greet each other by name

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
just wanted to say ,thank you for posting it is good reading and,,makes me wonder
to what extent this communication goes. wow this is groundbreaking .well in my opinion of coarse .

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

I often tell the crows I see how sexy they are. Ywah right, aloud as I really don't care what other non bird twolegged creatures think

Most of he crows like my compliments.

By the way if I say sweet nothings to pigeons they all become flustered, shaking up their feathers and so on .

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hillarie

No. You can go check all my posts.

Seriously the topic is Dolphins.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by indigo21

So you are saying that the builders of "weapons of mass destruction" are the most intelligent humans? I am human so how can I be a human hater?
edit on 4-3-2012 by rickymouse because: change is evident

I think there's room on the planet for both of us. Besides some dolphins already work for the U.S. Navy to help detect sea mines for example. I wonder how much they get paid?

science.howstuffworks.com...

Bottlenose dolphins have their own undersea weapons. They use echolocation, which is like active sonar, to not only locate or identify fish but also stun them with a sonic boom.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok

Originally posted by grey580
Holy crap.
If this is true it certainly raises some issues.
If Dolphins are aware enough to know their own names and can tell other dolphins as well then it's another clue to their level of intelligence.
And how do we deal with them now?

If you read genesis in its original Hebrew it quite clearly states that some animals have souls just like man , I think many animals communicate on a level just like us but we clearly can not understand . It is mans arrogance that leads him to believe he is superior and only species capable of verbal communication .

No actually I think it has
to do with Genesis.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

I wonder if it's true that social primates do not have names? I googled and found nothing.

What about Koko? The trained gorilla? Did she ever name herself or name anything else?

I would think that names would be useless just to identify something since its voice and behavior can identify it. Names would be more useful if you were trying to identify someone to another group or to tell them that so-and-so needs something. Or if you're reflecting on the past about someone.

Is it possible that the researchers are wrong and that dolphins are unable to identify each other without a unique signal? Another words, the sound of the 'voice' or appearance of the other dolphin is not enough to identify. It would be like if humans could not identify someone based on how they look or how they sound.
edit on 3-3-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

She did name her cat All-Ball. (Sadly, All-Ball was killed by a car)
I was just thinking about her before I got online.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
There are also examples of chimpanzees solving problems that indicated a certain level of intelligence.

I watched a thing on tv once where it showed 2 orangutans who had escaped their enclosures. One figured out how to use a stick to poke at certain wires and short out the electricity keeping it in. Another took note of the times it was not being watched, and very patiently tested all the bars around its enclosure, finding some that were loose and stealthily removing them before escaping.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Material channeled by the L & L Research group (who channeled Ra in the Ra Material) said, when it was recorded in the 80's, that Dolphins were 3rd density entities just like humans meaning they are self-aware entities.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Yes my cat aged 21 taught me so much
I like feeding apples to two white horses
Animals sense what we are about - I like to treat them kindly and as equals

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
that still does not make them human. and they sure as hell shouldn't have the same rights as you and I. that's just stupid.
edit on 4-3-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Is it possible that the researchers are wrong and that dolphins are unable to identify each other without a unique signal? Another words, the sound of the 'voice' or appearance of the other dolphin is not enough to identify. It would be like if humans could not identify someone based on how they look or how they sound.
edit on 3-3-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

It's important to realize that the dolphin brain is geared towards sound recognition. They 'see' through sound as the medium they evolved in is more conducive to the propagation of sound waves than it is the light/visual spectrum. This is why dolphins get confused and caught in nets; the sound doesn't bounce back to them to demonstrate a solid object because of the many holes in the object. It's a relatively new problem for them in evolution terms because we put it there. That is not to say that they haven't figured it out yet in some cases but certainly important to realize.

This story is not new. It has been discussed for years and it is already known that dolphins have billions of possible syllables and that they do have personal identities...It is a shame that we aren't discussing this more as it is very important that we realize that we are not the only sentient species on earth. The only major difference is that dolphins don't have thumbs...but why would they need them?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
that still does not make them human. and they sure as hell shouldn't have the same rights as you and I. that's just stupid.
edit on 4-3-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

Yes but animals dont have solicitors or barristers sure Mr Edd could talk but the idea of rights for animals is a man made concept relevant only to the matrix society we live in - They however unless enslaved live in nature.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I remember reading about it already some time ago, particularly because I think it's ultimate proof that dolphins has fully developed conciousness and perception of themselves indivdually.
More so, dolphins born in AquaPark (Florida I think), had been observed (or rather overheard) mimicking sounds of whales played from the speakers. Truly remarkable, huh?

Humans are so afraid to admit that other animals can have what we think is our domain given by God
. Free will. Especially if we hunt them and eat them in fancy restaurants.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Great Post, i like the last sentance, - "If I copy a signature whistle of an animal, does the animal react?" Janik said. "Is it actually possible to address someone by copying the whistle?"
If this were true it would not only be %100 proof of inteligence but also %100 proof of SELF AWARENESS!!!
As far as i am concerned this should now make the Murder not killing but Murder (the killing of an inteligent creature who is self aware is Murder) of a Dolphin is now on par with the killing of a human being. I know i will be racked over the coals for this statement but i really believe once %100 proof of self awareness is proven it becomes a real crime, prosicutable as murder to the full extent of law.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stainlesssteelrat

God didn't give all the domain to us. According to the Bible man is only supposed to eat fish like creatures that have both scales and fins. Dolphins don't have scales. The fact is, even though they are mammals they still have a fishtail and live in the water so they technically shouldn't be eaten. some people see only what you want to see I guess. I like dolphins, when you look one in the eye in person you see something. Every so often you see it in other species of animals to. In the bible it says everything man names gets a soul. Seems like we gave everything names including corporations. I'm not very religious, I had to learn a lot about the bible to deal with my mothers overzealous religious ways. I used the bible as evidence to counteract her distorted perceptions sometimes. I guess it does pay to read books with an open mind sometimes.

I don't think it addresses sea bugs like shrimp or lobster or crabs.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing. Scientists have long said that dolphins are one of the smartest animals on earth. I'm sure there is still much to learn.

I can just imagine a new crazy going around the schools...'what's your dolphin name?' mine would be 'eek ek eeek' 😝

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
That means self-awareness...WOW

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

edit on 4-3-2012 by alien because: ...quoted reply since removed...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

this is pretty cool....

Do dolphins communicate telepathically too? and they are just doing this physical form of communication so they can entice us too further study/learn them and find out that all living things do communicate telepathically?

Are dolphins actually teaching us?l

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I never eat animals I name..

I would never eat an animal that gave me his name either.
So, ya...Dolphins are off the menu (always have been mind you, but now won't even try it if in a foreign country and someone else offered a bite off their plate).

If this is true, this is amazing btw. Makes me think that thread awhile ago about giving dolphins some rights may be a good idea after all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join