It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simon Baker and his ANZ ad campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Firstly, i'd like to say that i was really stuck for a suitable forum for this thread. I chose general conspiracies after searching up related topics, and looking at their common category.

I came in at the ending of a very intriguing film regarding a scenario relating to the 07/08 financial crisis named "Margin call".
I was given a brief synopsis of the film, as it followed a large financial institution, and their course of action for the "toxic assets" under their name.
Without going into too much for those wishing to see it, the financial institution was left with no choice but to sell these toxic assets to buyers, within a certain timeframe as to not make a big scene on the stock market, and therefore sweeping a large mess elsewhere, thus maintaining a name for themselves.

Although that is not the reason for this thread.
It starred quite a few well known names - Kevin Spacey, Jeremy Irons, Demi Moore..... Simon Baker (cough).

Now, not everyone may know the subtle hint i dropped there. But to elaborate, here in Australia, we have our ANZ bank, and recently, they have used said "Simon Baker" in their ad campaign who was scripted with a catchy phrase. I.e. "we live in your world".

Now my first thought was just plain irony, but as i explored further into the thought of his interest in the film, i was interested as to why someone would show an interest in a film closely following the decisions of the top people of said financial institution, and then apparently endorse the goodwill of one of our biggest banks here in australia.

His role wasn't exactly a minor one either. His character was to "quickly sell all of the toxic assets before the market can react to the news of their worthlessness, thereby limiting the firm's exposure" (As per the film's wikipedia page). So he could be seen as an "antagonist" or part of the problem.
And now he's endorsing a bank who have made thousands of job cuts, reported a 20% fall in net profit (2008) and still managed to give it's CEO the highest "bank boss" pay package in australia (close to 13m in one year).

It could just be acting/getting payed to follow a script to earn a loaf of bread - whatever, but if anything, watching even a small part of this film does nothing for his credibility as a bank endorsement.

I was trying to understand what he is aiming to convey in this movie. Who knows, maybe he's trying to send a message to the people in australia, but why he would be payed to downplay a bank's actions (that's what i think the film is aiming at), and then encourage them in a tv ad is beyond me.
It's up for discussion, and i'm about to re-watch the entire film, but just thought i would put it out there.

I guess one could also mention the double irony of him also being the star of a popular series regarding mind techniques, etc.
Maybe he wants us to think... or maybe it's nothing hahaha

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Those advertisements he is in are a play on his role as The Mentalist.
Nothing sinister

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Yeah, it's not Simon Baker per se , it's The Mentallist.

join