It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless No-contract Wireless Web Question..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
hey folks,

i currently use a wireless broadband modem (wont say which company just so that responses are unbiased) to access the internet. i pay month-to-month with no contract. this is what i want.

however, my current plan has a data limit so usually after 3 weeks, i reach it and have to crawl to my information, which is completely not-so-good-for-me.

well, i was wondering if anyone uses a plan similar to this and would recommend it, specifically something with no data limitations, as my renewal for another month is approaching and im trying to switch. i have done my research into other companies (i wish i had the ability to get rid of any of these monster-global corps that i pay fed notes to, but for now, seems to be my only option..) but want to see what others think. thanks for your help...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
What general area are you in?
2nd line

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Esotericizm

southern nj. i looked at clear, yuk mitt romney, but they do not cover here. i may be soon moving to philadelphia though, so any major wireless carrier should be available there though there is a citywide wifi, i wouldnt want to use it as my primary source.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by andboycott

Get a good router that can run MLPPP under Tomato or DD-WRT and then bridge to another system (person you know) that has huge bandwidth. It's not that hard, I set up a local area system that used 16 DSL links, it gave us a common throughput of about 100mb/sec and around a terrabyte a month of bandwidth. Yehaw! And the really nice thing is that if you are in a large city and your internet goes down, you can still get around locally and sometimes crawl back onto the internet through someone else whose service isn't down.

DD-WRT
Tomato

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
All plans I know of either make you pay for more if you go over your data allowance, or cap your bandwidth.

I've never used wireless apart from my wired router to the laptop or mobile, so I don't know what they limit you to, but I doubt there are many plans that will allow you unlimited data.

I get rate limited to 256kbps which is tolerable if only one of us is using the internet lol. So I often upgrade my plan to include more data, but I have to pay for that. and should I then reach my monthly reset, and want to downgrade then it's an obligatory $30 for the option.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but I don't think you'll find any plan these days that has unlimited data with no quota.
?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I live in Australia where unlimited means unlimited
But its still rare, Anyway my mate claims virgin mobile offer an "unlimited" plan but you only actually get 2.5GB a month at 3g speeds and then when you go over that it limits your speed to fairly slow.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esotericizm
reply to post by mainidh

I live in Australia where unlimited means unlimited
But its still rare, Anyway my mate claims virgin mobile offer an "unlimited" plan but you only actually get 2.5GB a month at 3g speeds and then when you go over that it limits your speed to fairly slow.

And the telco's suck allot of people in by doing it this way. They never consider that people don't turn automatic updates off. People chew thru their monthly limit they need to up the limit for it. I feel sorry for these people they need to start making it more bang for buck.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
If you are using metro or cricket, they are a tier 3, which means they lease tower space off of another carrier. The data throttling has more to do with their business plan, and their company meeting profitability guidelines, while still offering you a service that is lower cost than a traditional tier 2 or 1 (tier 1 = verizon in your area).

With tier 3 carriers, you share bandwidth and the service is usually limited - and the service is NAT (network address translation) more like when you are behind a router at home sharing service with others, but if you have a tier 1 provider, its more like you have the same service at home (directly connected to the internet/cloud)

But the bandwidth throttling makes sense. I know the company I worked for before we were bought out, would give customers uncapped DSL, and in delaware if you were close to the central office, that would be 20mbps down and 1-2mbps up, which is pretty sweet for dsl, but after we were acquired they started throttling data to 768k and 1mb, whatever the customer was actually paying for.

Im sure the service is fine for what you need, if that browsing the web, getting email, maybe watching the occasional youtube video, just be mindful of the bandwidth. I used sprint 3g for wireless data, I think my plan was around 29.99 for 2gb, which was fine for me.

If you are out and about, try and jump on wifi networks, like starbucks, mcdonalds, some dunkin doughnuts i think have wifi too.

top topics

join