It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents-Shocked-Over-Violent-Math-Problems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
If you think ATS breeds Conspiracy Theorists. Wait till you get a load of these guys. These people are getting the kids minds primed and ready while they're still in 3rd grade. I never had any questions on tests like this when I was in school. What a weird World we live now where space aliens, cannibalism, mass murder and terrorism are part of our elementary school curriculum.

Read this article and the actual math test and tell me if you don't find it a bit odd. I suppose if it keeps the kids interested in math and in school it can't be 100% bad. But I don't know how good these kinds of questions are going to be for the mental health of our future generations.

Parents-Shocked-Over-Violent-Math-Problems

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WUSA) - Some DC parents are shocked over math problems that were sent home with third graders at the Trinidad Center City Public Charter School. One says the "bloodthirsty aliens then sucked the blood of 828 teachers and left them for dead." Another talks about cooking Africans, Americans and Indians in ovens to bake: "How many desperate people were in each oven?"

There are killings, kidnappings and deaths. Here, on his birthday, a boy named John swallows 585 marbles and died. Only nine friends came to his funeral.

3rd Grade Math Worksheet: 5

Math Problem 1

Green aliens landed in Chicago and rounded up 1479 math teachers. The bloodthirsty aliens then sucked the blood of 828 teachers and left them for dead. The aliens tied up the rest of the teachers and marched them into 3 UFOs. If there were an equal number of poor math teachers in each UFO, how many teachers were in each UFO?

Math Problem 3

Human terrorists landed on Planet Xintaks and abducted Princess
Txsclotyl. The enraged aliens hurled 1420 asteroids at 7 terrorist training
camps on Earth. 482 asteroids landed harmlessly in the Pacific Ocean.
However, the rest of the asteroids smashed into each camp in equal
numbers. How many asteroids smashed into each camp

Math Problem 13
Brian, a brave member of a SWAT team in California, had a terribly busy
week last week. He had to work for 7 whole days. He killed 163 terrorists,
296 murderers and 206 arsonists. How many criminals did he kill on
average each day?

What are we teaching the kids these days?

edit on 2-3-2012 by ThirdRock69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
WOW thats sneaky!

I certinly never had any questions like that at school, it was all apples oranges and random first names.

"timmy has 5 apples and jonny gives him the 3 apples he had, how many apples does timmy have now."

I think parents need to be paying attention to this, sounds almost unbelivable!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Right that sounds more familiar.

How can these kids focus on math when they are reading these kinds of horrible acts.

Is it a way to further desensitize our youth to killing or to create more fear of terrorism and such?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I found myself laughing at first, then had a strange compulsion to do the maths

Hmmmmmmmm back to school for me lol.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Is this in America? Clicking on the link for the worksheet says it's in Singapore...

NVM I'm stupid...clearly says DC..carry on
edit on 2-3-2012 by WatcherMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I watched the clip and my question is what does any of this have to do with "violent video games" why even mention games at all? Strange math questions though, when it was mentioned the quiz came from a website my first thought was maybe the site was hacked and someone thought it was funny to replace the questions with these.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
In the follow up article. It says the math teacher got fired for this.

Another teacher is made to be the scapegoat it sounds like.

I would like to hear from the people who wrote and published this test for 3rd graders. What's their excuse?

Violent Math problems lead to teachers firing

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WUSA) -- The teacher who sent home those violence-laced math problems at Center City Public Charter School's Trinidad campus in Northeast has been fired as of Thursday.
Wheeler says instead of using the resources provided in the school for the mandated 20 homework problems on Monday, the third grade teacher downloaded them off the the 'HomeschoolingParadise.com' website. She says the teacher used "bad judgment".

Several parents have insisted that the teacher, who they say is a minister, would never have sent those problems home, unless someone made her do it.

"Not true", said Wheeler. She explained that the mistake was worthy of firing because parents trust the school to look at what they're putting in front of them children.

She said that even if a teacher were told to send those problems home, she or he should question it.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I think what is happening here, is that the teachers, or whoever created the questions, are trying to be "down" with it, trying to speak to the kids in a language, that they (the teachers), think the kids can associate with. They think the kids play violent video games, hang out with gangs, wear the pants to low, etc etc, so the teachers try to be "cool" creating these questions.

I am not saying it right, because the questions are rather explicit, however, i feel that is what they are trying to do.

vvv

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I think what is happening here, is that the teachers, or whoever created the questions, are trying to be "down" with it, trying to speak to the kids in a language, that they (the teachers), think the kids can associate with. They think the kids play violent video games, hang out with gangs, wear the pants to low, etc etc, so the teachers try to be "cool" creating these questions.

I would agree with you if this were a high school test or even middle school. But this was a 3rd grade test. That's typically around 8 years old. Way to young to be into gangs and violence. If this was a movie script it would be rated R or PG-13 at least.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdRock69

Math Problem 13
average each day?

I always had problems with math like this and the basic problems are still there.

How many criminals did he kill. Well that depends. I would not classify a terrorist as a criminal. So we now have two viable answers. I could also ask if the 163 terrorists also murdered anyone or started fires, both likely events and therefore they could have been counted multiple times. This is police and government figures after all, they do like to stretch the math. How the hell is a third grade student supposed to answer.

The questions are too hard.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Good.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Remember we are supposed to assume that any one who is labeled a terrorist is automatically a criminal even if they haven't been found guilty in a court of law yet.

So if we assume that all of them are criminals. This is a problems about averages.

Math Problem 13
average each day?

Fisrt step is to add up all the criminals

163 + 296 + 206 = 665

Then divide by 7 days

665 divided 7 = 95 criminals per day

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdRock69

No it's govt reporting. The murders and arson attacks were carried out by the terrorists so it is simply 163/7 = 23 and a bit.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

163/7 = 23 and a bit.

Well no wonder that Brian is working 7 days a week.

With numbers that low he's not meeting the quota.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Oh boy, where is the school system heading to?

on a positive note we can say, that with kids learning math with aliens and terrorists, we will see alot of new ATS members soon after school is over.

Another one (slightly off topic) is the teacher who sent a student to detention, since the student repeatedly opposed the teachers claim that 'a kilometer is longer than a mile'.
He also writes, that the rest of the class was all agreeing...

Here s the link teachers note

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Violent Math problems lead to teachers firing

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WUSA) -- The teacher who sent home those violence-laced math problems at Center City Public Charter School's Trinidad campus in Northeast has been fired as of Thursday.
SNIP

She said that even if a teacher were told to send those problems home, she or he should question it.

Read the final line in this NEWS ARTICLE 'Wrottem by Peggy Fox'.

Most disturbing...what school did Peggy Fox go to ...this is a sign of the times folks...the world is going to hell, one bad spelling at a time...btw I wonder why they have not interviewed the teacher further to find out WHO MADE YOU DO THIS (because she said she was 'made to'). Now, I know these questions have been downloaded of a homeschooling website, but the problems certainly look like they're designed to make genocide, kidnapping, torture, baking ppl in ovens, violence, aggression, death, acceptable in the heads of the kids, instead of the shock-creating, horrific acts they really are. Reminds of of that FEMA camp rumor.

note: did a whois, homeschooling-paradise.com is owned by some Malasian with an Indian name. tres bizarre.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I am not saying it right, because the questions are rather explicit, however, i feel that is what they are trying to do.

vvv

Yet another completely implausible rationalization proposed by an ATS member. What's going on here? Does anybody think 3rd graders would play such sick video games? Does anybody think a teacher would care about being perceived as "down with" anything to impress 3rd graders? Or that 3rd graders would make a connection between a teachers' interests in vid games and a cool factor?

It's time to start considering what would have been incomprehensible last year. Just as the banks appear to be run by depraved luciferian thieves, the same is most likely true here.

There has been a 300% increase year over year in arrests of child molesters in public schools where I live. The sick f*cks have infected our schools from Secratery Arnie Duncan, right down to teachers in DC schools.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

The article was written by Peggy Fox but the person who made the comment was Beverley Wheeler the school's CEO.
www.wusa9.com...

"I was absolutely distressed ", says Dr. Beverley Wheeler, the CEO of Center City PCS which oversees it's Trinidad elementary school in NE.

That's another funny thing I never had in the public school system while I was growing up.
I never knew any public school that had a CEO. We all had principals who were at the top.

Now these schools are run like a business and not concerned with educating kids as much as they are indoctrinating them with propaganda to become future sheeple.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Yet another completely implausible rationalization proposed by an ATS member. What's going on here?
reply to post by zarp3333

I will admit, i did not see that the test was for 3rd graders, and i apologize.

If this was for older kids though, i would stick to this as a possible explanation. Because honestly, there has to be an explanation for this, i cannot accept it that it was just because some teacher wanted fun.

However, i apologize for not noticing it was for 3rd graders, now calm down please. I made a mistake, and it was pointed out.

vvv

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
1 too many
2 not enough
3 not enough
happy columbus day

top topics

<<   2 >>

join