It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stolen NASA Laptop Contained Space Station Control Codes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Stolen NASA Laptop Contained Space Station Control Codes

www.huffingtonpost.com

NASA Space Station Codes Were On Stolen Laptop, Inspector General Paul K. Martin Says

A laptop stolen from NASA last year was unencrypted and contained command and control codes for the International Space Station on it, the agency's inspector general told a United States House subcommittee yesterday (Feb. 29).

Martin said the notebook computer stolen in March 2011 "resulted in the loss of the algorithms" used to control the space station.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The command and control codes were kept on a laptop and unencrypted. Now that's high tech security from America's premiere scientific agency! No wonder hackers love hacking NASA, although one wonders if it's really much of a challenge...

This also happened a year ago but is only now being brought to light to Congress.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Uh....stored on an unencrypted laptop. Brilliant. Computer security.....Come one...it's not rocket science folks!
Wait.....uh...
nvm....Guess someone is gonna be out of a job pretty soon.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
that info must be very precious to some..especially if you want to have a space station soon.. hmm.. am jus sayin

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I saw this on NBC Nightly News. unbelievable.

Physically securing all of your most sensitive electronic devices, how is this so hard for NASA? It's not like it's rocket science.

edit to add: oops, someone beat me to the punch. And why wouldn't they put gps in such devices so they can find them if lost or stolen?
edit on 2-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Maybe they wanted the information found on purpose...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
seems like a false flag operation to me.......Come on guys. You really think there that dumb to put all of there algorithms on ONE computer? lol my goodness. We can send a man into space but cant seem to find a secure place to put matters of national security? and on a laptop that just happened to be STOLEN from NASA? Smells like fish to me...

this literally made me LOL

edit on 2-3-2012 by Thisbseth because: Laughing....

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Just wait for the reaction and then their solution, what could we do with the codes anyway,maybe we could find out what NASA really do up there

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by BULLETINYOURHEAD

moon base....jk but really who knows....its an interesting thought isnt it? could be anything...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by krazyiven

Very valid point,probably the only one that makes sense for a false flag op, we will know soon enough

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Thisbseth

Another layer of BS to hide another layer of BS to hide..... You get it

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Wonder what the code is for self destruct

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Probably "password1"

Im not even sure how you could have laptops with that sort of data on it and it not be encyrpted, its so basic it sounds fake!

Come on nasa you can do better than that

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
No more shuttle, compromised station codes - might as well sell it to the highest private bidder and cut the U.S. out of space all together. At least that's the plan.

edit on 2-3-2012 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
it is quite amazing how many large corporations seem to not encrypt their info, it's insane. Any person here can download software and encrypt their own hard drive very easily indeed in a matter of minutes.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Why does data like that even need ot be on a portable device AT ALL?

I think this working from home, flexitime and other schemes shoud not apply to people who work with very sensitive data.

Some UK civil servent left a USB stick on a train containing all sorts of info that probably never should have left the office at all.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

seems like a false flag operation to me.......Come on guys. You really think there that dumb to put all of there algorithms on ONE computer? lol my goodness. We can send a man into space but cant seem to find a secure place to put matters of national security? and on a laptop that just happened to be STOLEN from NASA? Smells like fish to me...

A whole ocean full of fish. That's what I'm thinking too. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "dwelling place in the stars coming to earth" of Hopi prophecy. Anytime they make these kind of announcements now I just look at it as saying "this is the next thing we are thinking up as a False Flag and are setting the public up for it.:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BULLETINYOURHEAD

Another layer of BS to hide another layer of BS to hide..... You get it

Ya NASA
Never A Straight Answer

Even my laptop has security than that

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

Originally posted by daaskapital

Probably "password1"

Im not even sure how you could have laptops with that sort of data on it and it not be encyrpted, its so basic it sounds fake!

Come on nasa you can do better than that

Will you Guy's quit using my Password please you know how i hate to change it all the time.
Quess will have to change mine to password2 now.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Someone's putting me on! This sounds too dumm-de-dumm-dumb to believe. I cracked up with the password1 remark. I Actually spilled my coffee.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join