It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Jan Berenstain, co-creator of the Berenstain Bears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Hey all,

Just read this and for some reason it made me quite sad. My mom read them as a kid, she read them to me when I was little and I just bought a few books for my kids the other day....

-----------------------------------------------

Jan Berenstain, co-creator of the Berenstain Bears passed away just the other day at the grand old age of 88. Together her and her husband Stan created hundreds of books over the past 50 years which have charmed generations of children and adults alike. She was actively working up until the day she died and had continued to pump out Berenstain Bear books up until the death of her husband in 2005.

The books in recent years have tackled modern subjects such as online safety and childhood obesity, and the bears (or their human helpers) answer children's emails and letters, but the goal is to tell enduring, universal stories. Perennial favorites cover challenges of getting kids to doing chores, defuse fears of the first day of school and teach values of kindness and generosity.

"It's wonderful to do something you love for so many years," Jan Berenstain told the AP in 2011. "Not everyone has that."

About 260 million copies of Berenstain Bears books have been held in the hands of children and their parents since the earliest books were published with the help of Theodor Geisel, a children's books editor at Random House better known as Dr. Seuss.Source

Rest in Peace Jan. Your books inspired millions….

Other Source

edit on 1/3/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Aw....

My son watches the show every night.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Cute. The show no longer airs in Australia but my daughter has been obsessed with houses in trees ever since I bought the books for her a week or so ago.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
She joins the ranks of Mr Rogers, Captain Kangaroo, and the good Doctor.

Good company, if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Very good company indeed.

I know its not the death of any great hero or the end of any truly world changing era. But this is just another thing passing away from my childhood which makes me sentimental about innocent times of wonder and a childhood i'll never again be a part of.

*sniff*

Thanks for your response

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
didnt know!

a very late RIP salute

new topics

top topics

join