It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College is not for me.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well tomorrow will be my 3rd week in tech college and to be honest I don't care for it much. Just not my thing and not my decision to go.

I lost interest in my Auto Collision course, just too boring for my tastes and will be speaking with my program counselor tomorrow. Since, it's too late to switch courses I will most likely be dropping out of college. The money and the course are just not pleasing with me and is ending soon.

My parents were the ones bothering me to go so I went and I didn't like it, regardless of what they say, I am still dropping out. To me it's pointless not to stay in school if you don't like your major and can't switch.

So after all this stuff gets taken care of, I plan on going into the Law Enforcement field. I'll wait for the ad in the paper for training of a Police Officer and apply for it and hopefully it'll go through. If not then I will just go back to a factory job for awhile and find something better.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Well, I can honestly sympathise with you. Last year, I was up in Sudbury for a general arts program at university. Loved the city, loved the view, loved living on my own and talkign to folks. The time was fantastic, but it was jsut too...aimless for me. It wasn't going to get me anywhere, and I was doing crappy to boot. I dropped out, but not before learning a ton. If I have a few wise words, take it for a year, or a semester. learn. Me, I had help. A few good psych tests will tell you plenty. Right now, I'm in a private security program at an unnamed college. It's pretty good, but the fitness is jsut brutalizing me. Best of luck with the future, mate.

DE

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
You can make a GREAT living without college.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

I second that emotion....

Never attended college, my gal did and has a degree... while I know we're in two different fields..

she's been on the job 10 years...

I've been on mine 6... I make about 10K more per year.. with no degree..

You don't need college.. it just depends on how hard you work and how much you want to succeed.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I went to college and besides a little piece of paper that claims I am more qualified then someone else, what have I gotten from it? 4 more years of partying before I had to grow up.
:shk:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm giving it 2 more weeks. If this mentor of mine doesn't help me and is not all that good then it's the end of it. I will most likely be looking for online courses for a Criminal Justice degree.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If you want to go into security, I'd suggest getting back into college, start working out. It's ridiculously intense. Try running a mile and a half in ten minutes.

DE

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Yep ! I do tile and stone work , and take home 900 a week . Plus I've built some things that are realy beautiful , and could last for a hundred years or more (cast in stone so to speak) .

2 years of on the job training before I went solo....gotta like what you do for a living or your doooooooooomed .

Went to college to become a math teacher , decided I would probably not fare well in the company of students that were anything like I was in school ( and since you can't beat an education into them like the old days) .

At least you gave it a shot !!!

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes I did try and my parents won't be happy once I give up. It was there goal to get me in secondary school to get a higher education then they did. They wanted to me to go to college, not me. I just went along with there idea to make them happy. Well now, it will just shatter their dreams.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Am I the only one here that thinks getting an education is important?

I mean I know that you can make a good living without a degree, but in my experience it's better to have it than not.

Anyways that's just my opinion on the issue.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The problem I see with it is that you are getting better credentials, but other people are getting a 4 year jump on field experience and connections. Unfortinately these days it is not what you know, but who you know.

new topics

top topics

join