It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raspberry to drop the pi @ 6am GMT on Wednesday, Feb 29

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Hey all you armchair ARM processor fans, looks like they have finally dropped the proverbial release hint.
See: www.raspberrypi.org...

Hope the site does not crash from too much activity while I am ordering!

For those not familiar with this device, it will be available for 25 or 35 bucks depending on features. It is a very small and cheap computer that only needs a mouse, keyboard, and a tv with hdmi. In addition to running Linux and performing as a standard computer, it can be configured as a set top media center, and it is capable of wireless streaming video from an i-pad to the pi, which can then output to it's hdmi to your tv.
edit on 28-2-2012 by assspeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I have just ordered one from Farnell @ GBP26.55 + vat = £31.86. Not quite the £22 promised!

It is also showing as awaiting delivery and further stock expected within 30 days.

edit on 29-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: Fat Thumbs

edit on 29-2-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Dang Easy,

Ya beat me to it. I started 30 min. late and the Premier Farnell distributors site has crashed due to the traffic.
The pi site was moved to a static page to keep their server afloat.

This is like the release of the Michale Jordan shoes, but for nerds. We rock

The RS site is currently only taking pre-regestration.
[ed] Was able to access the Farnell sight, but people are having issues actually making a pre-order at this time, oh well, they will be available soon.

I strongly feel this device will change the way we compute in the future. I expect this is just the beginning of the cheap o micro computer. The cheap skates can afford this, so expect to see old people on Linux soon.
The best part is, Microsoft is not involved! (insert evil laugh!) Ha Ha Ha, You go Open Source!
edit on 29-2-2012 by assspeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I guess their webserver is running on a Raspberry Pi

pretty cool tech though

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by assspeaker

Just checked on the status of my order and it has moved to 'Back Order'

Oh well it gives me time to get a new SD card, get Fedora on it and learn something of Linux...

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Farnell UK just told me they currently have over 57K units on back order!

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just received the following email from Farnell:

Breakthroughs. Exhilarating, but rarely without hiccups. A few days ago, the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced a small manufacturing delay. A component in the Pi is being reinstalled.

In the grand scheme it's small potatoes - but we know it's frustrating for Farnell element14 fans and customers. Farnell element14 will deliver your Pi to you around mid-April.

You are one of the first people in the world who will get their hands on a Raspberry Pi Model B. Congratulations. We're a proud partner of the Pi, and the sense of adventure it's bringing to the tech community. We've all come to feel part of the Foundation's big project to bring computing to all. Online, the response has been superb. Thanks for your patience and understanding so far. Enjoy your Pi.

Oops, looks like some rework on a lot of boards.
edit on 21-3-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join