It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auto-Play Advertising Videos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I wanted to ask about the recent 'auto-play' video advertisements I have recently noticed on ATS.

I understand that advertising is a crusial part for any business and finding mediums to advertise through is just as important. I know that ATS has to sell space on the site, but is there anything that can be done about the auto-play advertising videos that have recently began to play when I come here.

I have been a member here for a couple years now and though I wish I were able to post more comments or start mor, interesting threads, I have been unable to, due to time limitations.

I do remember, at one time, the ads being reduced or completey blocked for active members who contribute to ATS. Has this changed? Is there some sort of 'content quota' I need to achieve before the 'APAV's' (Auto-Play Advertising Videos) ads will dis-appear once again for my account?

I am certain that I will still be irritated when the next 'APAV' plays, but I would have never started this thread if I hadn't recently experienced overlapping 'APAV's'. This is more annoying than the single advertisment, because when they run in tandem, they become garbled and very annoying.

So, my qustions are as follows:

1. - Is there anything I can do to have the ads remove, once again, and enjoy ATS without the inundation of unwanted advertising videos?

2. - Is there any way to disable the video, while not effecting other aspects of ATS?

3. - If there are no positive answers for the above questions, are there any way/s to, atleast, get only 1 video to play at a time?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I honestly thought they were illegal. No joke.

I'll try to find a source.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I apologize if the next question sounds crazy, but I am not sure what you mean. What did you think was illegal

Thanks for helping to find the solution, if there is a solution to the questions

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Real sneaky trick putting the pop-down adds right above the myats button so we accidentally click malicious ads...

real classy, ats

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I've noticed this has become a rather popular form of advertising, as it forces interaction with the object which can then trigger a pop-up advertisement. It's a very sneaky and manipulative form of advertising, one which i personally despise and treat as an invasion of privacy.

I'd recommend to those who are easily irritated by the adverts to install an "Ad Blocker". They're very handy tools which recognise the advertisements URL and stops the content being displayed, leaving a blank white box instead. The beauty of these programs is that no adverts are displayed, yet ATS still receives revenue from advertisers as the content is still being requested, just not displayed. Simply navigate to your browsers add-on section and search for an ad blocker.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TrickE

Just a heads-up from the ATS T&C:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Hmm, I understand the need to gain revenue from ads being displayed, but banning the personal use of features seems a bit intrusive and manipulative. Surely there is some middle ground that can be reached between the site owners and the site users, where the most annoying, overlapping ads can be dealt with.

Why make an ad free feature for members, yet still allow ads to be displayed?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

My understanding is this. The site is financed by ads. Whether you think that goes to providing all Staff and owners with "The Life of Riley" is secondary to it paying for the physical server, internet hosting, videos, radio shows and all other weird and wonderful things provided here. Personally I have popups blocked, that is a "legal" thing imho. I still see ads in the browser.
ETA I think certain members see less ads, the Bronze, Silver and Gold members but that takes much work and dedication and (I think) posting of threads rather than posts to attain that status. ATS is so fast with threads that I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what to do.
edit on 28/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Thanks for the heads up!

I think I should have been more precise about the software I’m referring to. I should be fine as technically the advert believes it's still being displayed as the blocker really works as a cover. The term they use is "shield", although I'll have to wait until the morning now to get the name of it as it's on my machine at work. For those interested in having a look its available in Firefox on a Macintosh G5, that's all i know off the top of my head I’m afraid.

Anyway, regarding your post above I agree they need their revenue to cover hosting and production costs but you also have to agree, in general, online display advertising has got way out of hand and at the expense of users privacy.

Of course all could be solved easily by an administrator as they do indeed have the authority to choose not to display a particular advert if found inappropriate.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TrickE

If it doesn't affect the ads then I would be interested to know its name. I have AdBlockPlus and NoScript in Firefox which work well but disable both for ATS. I don't wanna get in trouble.

top topics

join