It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ekso Bionics Sells its First Set of Robot Legs Allowing Paraplegics to Walk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Mark down February 14th, 2012 as the day when exoskeletons became an established medical therapy. Ekso Bionics, formerly Berkeley Bionics and creators of the HULC army exoskeleton, have delivered their first commercial lower body system to Craig Hospital in Denver Colorado. The Ekso medical exoskeleton supports the body while moving the user’s legs for them. In other words, Ekso lets paraplegics walk again.

Wow, the first FDA approved bionic walking apparatus is now available and looks to be primed for use and distribution around the world. I knew the military was working on these designs, and I am glad they are for civilians as well. I can't imagine what it must be like to stand up for the first time in years for some folks. Technological advances are one of my last sources of hope and inspiration regarding our future. I hope robotics/bionics can continue to supplement our lives in such a beneficial fashion.

but doctors at Santa Clara even suggested that immediate therapy using an exoskeleton may provide at least some hope for neural regeneration. That is, that getting back up on your legs very soon after a spinal injury may increase chances of reclaiming some sensation or control. That’s an amazing (albeit very preliminary) possibility.

So not only does it enable patients to walk, but it may potentially stimulate neural regeneration. This is truly revolutionary and should enrich many people's lives from here on out. Now let's just hope the 150,000 dollar price comes down some, or at least that insurance co's will help patients purchase one.

singularityhub.com...
A story of hope....

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's awesome to see things still arriving that benefit the furthering of humanity rather than something to assist in the destruction of humanity.

You would think this sort of technology wouldn't be too horribly difficult to produce (If you're an MIT going sort of folk)
and I'm pleased that it's coming around for those whom have suffered an injury that disabled them. I think, personally, it would be awesome to have people out there walking around with these instead of wheeling around in a chair.

To the Op:

I applaud your effort to find something that is respectively positive, rather than all the doom and gloom we've been hearing about recently.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Wow this is such a beautiful concept. The style is very cool,as well. The shoe part almost remind me of earth shoes or something, very dooable...

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Ay-may-zing!

"That's one small step for a man, one huge step for mankind!"

To me, this is what technology should be about, helping (disabled) people. I imagine this is an early prototype but it shows much promise. You can see the joy on their faces as they do something they haven't been able to for 20 years. A little more R&D and this could be huge. Fully automatic Exoskeleton's for the disabled. I just hope the company involved doesn't try to make too much profit and makes it available to those without much money.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Awesome, but you could still probably get around faster in a wheel chair lol

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

I think you are missing the point but then I guess you don't have much experience or knowledge of disabled people.
People in wheelchairs get talked down to by most adults because of the height difference, among other things.

Now take this exoskeleton, develop it further, add weight compensation sensors, more powerful robotics and faster computers and these people won't need the crutches so much anymore either. In fact, these people will be able to run as fast as you.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

How about you relax a little?

And who are you to tell me my "experience" and "knowledge"? My brother was in Iraq and now in a wheel chair because of it. This is a good idea but I don't think it's ready for mainstream use. It isn't really practical unless you want to go for a leisurely walk and have all the time in the world

edit on 2-27-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Thank you Vortiki, and yes this will be promising news for many. Let's just hope it becomes affordable or at least ins co's will help.
Can you imagine all the faces of people that are able to stand for the first time in years? And our vets? Good news all around

peace

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thanks antar, and I bret these things become slimmer and lighter, then we may see some customized versions with flames and such.

peace

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Brilliant. I dreamed them up about 20 years ago, it's about time someone made them for real. Hope they drop the prices because everyone who can use them will want a set. It's only fair.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Thanks '___'(
), Yea, these things have to be made affordable, and heck I'm even down with gov assistance and a zero interest loan for these folks. My taxes going to something good for a change, that really helps people, is okay with me.

peace

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Awesome, but you could still probably get around faster in a wheel chair lol

This may be true, but I bet if you were to ask disabled people which they would prefer between a speedy chair and being able to stand and walk at a slow pace, they would choose this tech. Plus people can go to more places without a chair. I can see these things enabling people to hike or explore in nature a bit, which is probably sheer delight for many.

peace

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Your one liner ended with a lol seemed a little distasteful and disrespectful to me. Apologies if I got it wrong but it's a subject that is dear to my heart. I don't need to relax, if I relax anymore I'd be comatose.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

It was a joke about practicality, not disabled people.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

speaking as a disabled person , in a wheelchair,
1. the cost is too high, insurance companys will not cover this cost, and it would be classed as a luxury not a necessity.
2.practicality its great ,as wheelchair accessibility is not always so good ....we dont do stairs

3.i would dearly love to walk again even if it is at this slow pace .... but at the moment i dont see it being possible even with the advance in robotics and exoskeletons.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

Thank you for the reply, and yea it must kind of be frustrating to see these advents and not be able to afford them.
But I wouldn't snuff out the spark of hope in the availability and affordability of this tech yet. I would imagine many in the health field will start finding ways to make these affordable. I hope the 'luxury' verses 'necessity' issue is taken to court, and I'd imagine people would support this tech being classified as a necessity.

Perhaps a philanthropist will get involved and help with the distribution of this tech.
Some insurance policies reimburse or co-pay with items like the scooter, so there should be some room for their support here. Hopefully this is such a monumental advance that the policies will be re-written to accommodate provision. But I'm a glass half full kinda dude too

peace

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thank you wigit, and I am sure some of those patients have dreamed this too. Must be a wonderful revelation.

peace

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by imnothereru

Thank you for the reply, and yea it must kind of be frustrating to see these advents and not be able to afford them.
But I wouldn't snuff out the spark of hope in the availability and affordability of this tech yet. I would imagine many in the health field will start finding ways to make these affordable. I hope the 'luxury' verses 'necessity' issue is taken to court, and I'd imagine people would support this tech being classified as a necessity.

Perhaps a philanthropist will get involved and help with the distribution of this tech.
Some insurance policies reimburse or co-pay with items like the scooter, so there should be some room for their support here. Hopefully this is such a monumental advance that the policies will be re-written to accommodate provision. But I'm a glass half full kinda dude too

peace

i totally agree with you with the luxury versus necessity issue taken to court that would be amazing, make them accessible for everyone not just the elite few with money, im a glass full kinda person but i also see practicallitys.
No seeing these adverts isnt quite as frustrating as you think it gives us hope, and hope is what keeps you going
that and a sense of humour, if you can laugh at life your halfway there

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Just wanted to add the link to Ekso Bionics. There are some good close up pics of the device, details about the construction, and multiple testimonies.
www.eksobionics.com...

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I LOVE your avie.

As for the racing flames, maybe realistic looking skins.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join