It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It's not necessarily racist, I suppose it depends how he meant it, but in the climate we live in, (what with the world gone mad, and all) it's strange if he gets away with it, because if someone like me, i.e. a nobody, wrote "white power" even on twitter, I'm sure I'd be on the front page of the tabloids tomorrow.

The world HAS gone mad

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by martianmallow

It was a silly thing to say, but P.Diddy is far from racist. He's signed white acts, dated non-black women and keeps company with whites. I think he was just in the moment and said that to promote his new TV network.
www.mtv.com...
I'm guessing it's going to be more hip-hop/rap/r&b oriented. These are musical genres that are predominately black. Perhaps this why he said it. He shouldn't have said it, but I was thinking there might have been a reason why.

Yeah, there's a reason why he said it. He will not be held accountable for anything he says. On the other hand, if you are white, you better think about every statement you make. The sportscaster who made the comment "chink in the armor" did not get a pass. He lost his job, and quite possibly his career. When America grows up and ALL people are held accountable for what they say, regardless of their race or skin color, then you will not see crap like this. And the "keeps company with whites", is silly. Many folks who have made gaffes have tried to use that statement in reverse, and didn't work then, shouldn't work now.

Pdiddy, what kind of name is that?

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by retiredTxn
. And the "keeps company with whites", is silly. Many folks who have made gaffes have tried to use that statement in reverse, and didn't work then, shouldn't work now.

Most ardents of "black power" will not associate with whites. If the man is willing to associate with whites, make music with them and do business with them then he can't be that serious about it. What do you want to do? Take him out back and beat him? I already said it was stupid thing to say.

Diddy isn't too bad, I remember he used to call himself Puff Daddy.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
As everyone else has said, if this was reversed and it was "White Power" that someone was saying... then it would be an outrage.

I think we need to get over all the race bollocks and just be people.

People who perpetuate a white/black divide, including morons like P-Diddy, need to just get grip.

It should be people power, not white or black power.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I did say it was a mad world. Here's the situation in reverse.

‘What would happen with a scarf over my face?’

Dave Jones said he experienced an ‘Orwellian nightmare’ after commenting on the ease with which a woman with her face covered by a hijab, another form of the burqa, had walked through security controls.

edit on 26-2-2012 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
What is this "accountability" you seek? You want condemnation? You are doing it right now. Believe it or not, I don't even call for people to lose their job for screaming "white power". People can say what they want regardless of what I feel about it. It's just speech. Maybe we should all just accept some people are silly and get on with life.

What do you want to happen to P. Diddy? Do you want his assets seized? Do you want him banished? What do you think the remedy is??

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

. And the "keeps company with whites", is silly. Many folks who have made gaffes have tried to use that statement in reverse, and didn't work then, shouldn't work now.

Most ardents of "black power" will not associate with whites. If the man is willing to associate with whites, make music with them and do business with them then he can't be that serious about it. What do you want to do? Take him out back and beat him? I already said it was stupid thing to say.

Diddy isn't too bad, I remember he used to call himself Puff Daddy.

The same can be said of those who promote "white power", however, if association meets your needs, then it will be done. I never said "take him out back and beat him", you did. I do not condone such actions. If he is denied some of the free publicity he gets, is thoroughly slammed in the media like others who make racist statements, intended or not, that would make me happy.

As for the name, just childish and an attempt to connect with his target audience. Lowers his credibility IMHO.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

As for the name, just childish and an attempt to connect with his target audience. Lowers his credibility IMHO.

Diddy never had rap creditably. I don't think you know much about the guy.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Diddy never had rap creditably. I don't think you know much about the guy.

I think he was just in the moment and said that to promote his new TV network. www.mtv.com... I'm guessing it's going to be more hip-hop/rap/r&b oriented. These are musical genres that are predominately black. Perhaps this why he said it.

As I said, appealing to his target audience. As for knowing much about him, no I don't. If he doesn't play 60's or 70's rock, not my cup of tea.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

The real problem is the word Power when it follows a certain color of any kind.

What is with human's obsession with power.

We are power, we have power, we don't need power.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

Yes, it was!!

Oh it's not?

Well then Say it loud I'm white and I'm proud!!

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
For people who don't see a difference between proclaiming "black power" and "white power"...maybe you all need a history lesson.

Black Power - A call for black people to unite and help each other succeed after being held down legally and proudly for centuries. It's a call for support and to help those of your race.

White Power - A call to hold down people of other races. A declaration that "whites" are losing control and have to subdue all those non-whites and put them in their place.

Now...if you don't see a difference in those two...then yes....I guess you would see a double standard

edit on 26-2-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
For people who don't see a difference between proclaiming "black power" and "white power"...maybe you all need a history lesson.

Black Power - A call for black people to unite and help each other succeed after being held down legally and proudly for centuries. It's a call for support and to help those of your race.

White Power - A call to hold down people of other races. A declaration that "whites" are losing control and have to subdue all those non-whites and put them in their place.

Now...if you don't see a difference in those two...then yes....I guess you would see a double standard

Equality means equal rights for everybody. You can't have it both ways

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Where do you see inequality in what I posted?

You don't see a difference for people who have been systematically held down in the past to call for unity and to help support each other and a call for one race to dominate and hold down all other races???

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Everyone's been held down in the past at some point, it's just that history has a selective memory of these things.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Hellas

Where do you see inequality in what I posted?

You don't see a difference for people who have been systematically held down in the past to call for unity and to help support each other and a call for one race to dominate and hold down all other races???

Support each other for what?? I don't see anybody having humans as slaves. So who exactly needs support here? History?

I'm going to support my brother, because back then some people I don't even know were slaves..

So according to that logic, native americans should burn down your houses then.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit

Everyone's been held down in the past at some point, it's just that history has a selective memory of these things.

It's all in the context of things.

If Spainards start proclaiming "Spain Power" in Mexico...it might create some negative feelings. However if they do it in Spain...not so much.

Do you think it is wrong that Jewish people banded together after the holocaust? Do you think it is wrong for the gay community to band together in the face of what they are going through?

In America...it is no secret what black people have had to go through and continue to struggle with. Why would anyone take offense to them wanting to band together, support each other, and help each other succeed???

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

It's about power relationships. I don't agree with what diddy said , but there is a difference between black and white racism and it is based on the power relationships in our societies.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Why would anyone take offense to them wanting to band together, support each other, and help each other succeed???

See? They're excluding themselves from the 'group'. Not the other way around

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Support each other for what?? I don't see anybody having humans as slaves. So who exactly needs support here? History?

I'm going to support my brother, because back then some people I don't even know were slaves..

So according to that logic, native americans should burn down your houses then.

6 generations ago, slavery was common place. 2 generations ago, black people couldn't vote, couldn't use the same bathroom, eat at the same restaurant, or generally have equal rights.

But you are going to go ahead and claim that it is ancient history...and no one today should be affected by over 200 years of systematic suppression???

To me...that is ignorance to an unimaginable level.

And no...according to that logic...it doesn't make a logical leap into burning down houses. If you would say that native americans should band together and support each other...then yes...I would say they should...following my logic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join