It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help discerning an object

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hooverman

Zorgon's idea looks to be better here. The diffracted pattern is unequal top to bottom from side to side, which is wider, except there is the problem of no movement. On second thoughts, a geostationary satellite over the equator might fit the bill.
edit on 25-2-2012 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Originally posted by chrismicha77
Looks like you've captured the planet Venus my friend.

Venus is a lot closer to the sun than Earth is, so what was Venus doing in the nightime sky more than 5 hours after sunset?

Why isn't Venus where it belongs?

How can you say it's not Venus? Venus can be seen along with Jupiter and the Moon after the Sun sets. He says he used his phone along with a cheap telescope. Given that Venus gives off a light show with the right atmospheric conditions, I still stick with Venus but it may be Jupiter as well.

WEEKEND SKY SHOW: When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look west. Jupiter, Venus and the crescent Moon are converging for a beautiful three-way encounter in the sunset sky.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I know Venus though and watch it all the time in the night sky. This looked too close to be the planet Venus. It looked closer then the moon. It was also much to small and faint to be confused with Venus.
edit on 25-2-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
How can you say it's not Venus? Venus can be seen along with Jupiter and the Moon after the Sun sets.

Yes, after the sun sets.

Originally posted by libertytoall
Picture taken in Stamford, CT approx. 11/18/2011 after 11pm

But five or six hours after the sun sets?

Venus is 67,230,000 miles away from the Sun.

Earth is 92,955,888 miles away from the sun.

Venus is 25,725,888 miles closer to the sun than Earth.

When it is night time, and the sun has set many hours ago Venus is still a lot closer to the sun than Earth is. So when the Sun is midday on the opposite side of the planet Venus is still closer to the sun than Earth is.

I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Sure the "Evening Star" (Venus) can be seen after sunset, but soon after that it too sets in the horizon. One may be able to see it for a few hours, but with the sun setting a little after 5pm in CT I don't think one would be able to see Venus 6 hours later after 11pm.

edit on 25-2-2012 by ILikeStars because: I think I changed something.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Using Stellarium, Venus wasn't there, but the moon just rose up

Stamford, CT
2011 November 18 11:00PM (UTC-5 Eastern)

Venus rise up and begun to be visible at app. 7:00 at the ESE horizon, shortly after the sun rise.
edit on 25-2-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join