It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help discerning an object

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Picture taken in Stamford, CT approx. 11/18/2011 after 11pm
Looking South toward Long Island Sound at an angle of about 45 degrees
Picture taken with an HTC Inspire 8 mp Camera Phone through a cheap telescope

Any ideas? Looks extremely strange but I'm not one to jump the gun. Could be any number of things including light distortion against some other object. I have no idea I'm no camera expert
edit on 24-2-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Not much to go on from your explanation or the actual pictures you provided. People point to the percentage of Blue Book cases that couldnt be explained...i'm starting to see why they couldnt be.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Colorful arn't they? Interesting but I have no idea what they may be. I wonder if any other members have seen similar objects?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Did you take the photo...any more info?

ETA: Went back to OP...so, this was in the sky? Do you know how high?

Des
edit on 24-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yes I took the photo. I was looking at the moon with a cheap telescope when I noticed it. I then proceeded to try and align my camera phone into the lens of the telescope and I was able to snap a few pictures of the object.

It was invisible to the naked eye. If hadn't been moving the telescope around in the right place atr the right time I never would have noticed it.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
Yes I took the photo. I was looking at the moon with a cheap telescope when I noticed it. I then proceeded to try and align my camera phone into the lens of the telescope and I was able to snap a few pictures of the object.

S&F for going to the effort to catch a photo.

What did it look like to your naked eye...size distance...LOL...see you added the info while I was posting.

So...it is very colorful...and until another viable explanation comes about...I'll call it a UFO...because it is ....so far....

Des
edit on 24-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It just looked like another star but with a hint of color. It was virtually unnoticeable to the naked eye. I'd be curious to know if the colors are authentic or if that could be a result of the camera phone + telescope causing some color distortion.

Edit: Never mind that doesn't make sense because it looked the same to me when I looked through the telescope.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Looks more like it's a satellite.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I thought of that too but it wasn't moving. Do we have stationary satellites? That could be an explanation.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Maybe it's the new drones.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Looks like you've captured the planet Venus my friend.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77

How the heck does it look even CLOSE to Venus?

Originally posted by Manhater
Looks more like it's a satellite.

yeah... kinda like THIS one

edit on 25-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77

Venus is a lot closer to the sun than Earth is, so what was Venus doing in the nightime sky more than 5 hours after sunset?

Why isn't Venus where it belongs?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
A little gamma adjustment

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Really looks like a simple star with diffraction effect:

Fraunhofer diffraction due to square aperture

source

Technical explanations on how the Fraunhofer diffraction works.

Extract:

The Fraunhofer diffraction equation is a simplified version of the Kirchhoff's diffraction formula and it can be used to model the light diffracted when both the light source and the viewing plane are effectively at infinity with respect to the diffracting aperture.[6] In this case, the incident light is a plane wave so that the phase of the light at each point in the aperture is the same. The phase of the contributions of the individual wavelets in the aperture varies linearly with position in the aperture, making the calculation of the sum of the contributions relatively straightforward in many cases.

Strictly speaking, the Fraunhofer approximation only applies when the diffracted pattern is viewed at infinity, but in practice it can be applied in the far field, and also in the focal plane of a positive lens.

Usually, this is an effect obtained by using a diffraction grid, like the Chicken Wire Mesh Diffraction Focuser for example.

It appears to be double probably due to the camera move during the exposure time.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
It wasn't a star That I can be sure of.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
It wasn't a star That I can be sure of.

What makes you think so?
You said:

"It was invisible to the naked eye"
"It just looked like another star but with a hint of color"
"it wasn't moving"

.....everything that could makes think of a star, except the odd aspect, but if this odd aspect was only visible through the eye of the telescope, then it could well be a diffraction effect.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't know maybe I jumped the gun on diffraction effect being impossible as an explanation here. It does resemble the effect but I still can't get past the shape of the object. Even if it was diffraction causing the strange shape it would be diffracting off an already strange shaped object. There is no spherical light in the center resembling a star to diffract from. To me it looks like a mix of diffraction and a very strange shaped object in space.
edit on 25-2-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Sorry bro, looks like you found the planet named Venus.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hi,

I found a film www.youtube.com... and I want to know what it can be!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join