It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook MOD comes clean on the rules: Blood, gore and funny racism OK but, nudity is not.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
A Facebook mod from some third world country, whining about only making a princely sum of $1 a day (princely compared to what our mods make anyway
) has released a manual detailing what is and is not OK to post on that site.

Facebook’s moderation rules show company more open to gore than nudity

THE rules Facebook uses to decide whether to censor users’ postings have been published for the first time, detailing its more liberal attitude to gore than to nudity.

A disgruntled former moderator has also told of how Facebook uses outsourced staff in developing countries to moderate the huge volume of material its users upload every day.

A document given to the staff of one third party content moderation firm tells them to delete “any OBVIOUS sexual activity, even if naked parts are hidden from view”. Meanwhile “deep flesh wounds are ok to show; excessive blood is ok to show” and “crushed heads, limbs, etc are ok as long as no insides are showing”.

“Slurs or racial comments of any kind” should be deleted, it says, but “humour overrules hate speech UNLESS slurs are used or humour is not evident”, meaning that comments reported to Facebook as hate speech should remain online if they are judged to be in jest and do not include racial slurs.

Independent ie

Gives you an idea of what goes into moderating a big website like Facebook. At least our mods aren't underpaid in some far away third world counrty half way across the world. They're just not paid at all and, from what I hear, they're kept chained up in the basement of ATS headquarters in Langly.

Here's a link to the original Gawker article where you can view the cheat sheet detailing what's allowed or not:
Gawker

edit on 2/24/12 by FortAnthem because:
_____________ extra DIV

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Mate, where do you see its "some third world country"? Nowhere in the article do they mention it. They do however mention third party, quite a lot. Did you just jump to the conclusion that it was a third world country?

vvv

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I read it in another article on the subject:

A Morocco native who used to make only pennies a day has come clean with what he learned as an indirect-employee of Facebook, Inc.

Amine Derkaoui, 21, says he no longer works with the company that enforced Facebook’s graphic content policy, but he didn’t part ways with the group’s ghastly rulebook that was used to decide what stays on the walls of users and what was deemed worthy of deletion.

Derkaoui claims that his former employer, oDesk, was outsourced by Facebook to moderate comments made by its 800-million-plus users. With that amount of traffic, it takes a lot of work to keep an eye on things. That’s why oDesk hired an army of workers in third-world countries willing to work content control for only $1-per-hour.

“It's humiliating,” he tells Gawker. “They are just exploiting the third world.”

RT

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Ah, thank you.

vvv

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
TV has been like this for years, it's nothing new.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Mark Zuckerberg needs to spend some of that money he is making on hiring more tech support.

Seriously I am sick of seeing dead dogs/dead prostitutes on my Facebook feed.

as Betty White would say...

"Clean this mess up!"

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Why would you call that whining? Would you like to be paid $1.00 a day by a multi-billion dollar company that could pay you a good wage but chooses not to?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

You may want to consider who you call your friends then lol

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Why would you call that whining? Would you like to be paid $1.00 a day by a multi-billion dollar company that could pay you a good wage but chooses not to?

I'm just comparing him to what the mods here get paid. They're all volunteers. I bet they would kill for his old slalary.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by RealSpoke

I'm just comparing him to what the mods here get paid. They're all volunteers. I bet they would kill for his old slalary.

Somehow I doubt that, also do you think the mods moderate this site for free for 40 hours a week each, me thinks if the do they need to get a life. Sadly this is probably a good wage for africa. Exploitation, nothing less.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Blood,Gore and Racist jokes can hurt someone very deeply and even traumatise
these stuff should be banned

Nudity doesnt hurt but it should be 18+
a proof again that Facebook is really a messed up site

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You cant post ANY NEGATIVE OBAMA COMMENT EITHER, Ive been warned like 4 times and never used profanity or really did anything wrong. I guess we can see who the MODS want for president. They think I cant just sign up again I guess. Everyday one of my comments removed, all pertaining to Obama ..probama mods who scout ats for negative obama comments..
edit on 24-2-2012 by avatard because: mispelling

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by avatard

I post anti-Obama things all the time. Nothing happened to me. Don't believe you're telling the full story.

top topics

join