It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. does not believe Iran is trying to build nuclear bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
U.S. does not believe Iran is trying to build nuclear bomb

The latest U.S. intelligence report indicates Iran is pursuing research that could enable it to build a nuclear weapon, but that it has not sought to do so.

Is it just the US that thinks that?

Senior U.S. officials say Israel does not dispute the basic intelligence or analysis.

No, Israel basically agrees.

"When they're assembling a bomb, that's going to be the hardest thing to see," said Hadley, now a senior advisor at the U.S. Institute of Peace, a government-funded think tank.

Some developments have bolstered the view that Iran is secretly pursuing a weapon.

Now this is the thing chicken hawks like to remind us about, the unknowns and intangibles.

"It could happen"

Acting on a whim like that is tantamount to spending hundreds of billions of dollars to combat global warming, because there is no hard evidence about what we are looking at.

Israel worries that such facilities may be invulnerable to conventional bombing if Iran begins building a weapon. Israeli officials have warned that Iran could create what they call a "zone of immunity" by year's end.

Why is Israel worried? Their nuclear arsenal is exceedingly high, why doesn't the "zone of immunity" cover them?

This, of course, is Israel twisting the subject, because they are hypocrites for owning their own nuclear weapons, so they can't exactly act like Father Morality.

In any case, this article points to the opinion of people in the know, and what they tell is a good example of why Iran shouldn't be attacked and the sanctions should be lifted.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Israel caught lying again.

When will America and specifically its military understand that Israel is the enemy?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

When will America and specifically its military understand that Israel is the enemy?

It's not specifically Israel, it's some of the people within it. And most of them aren't lying, they are just of the opinion that Iran will pursue a nuclear weapon sometime in the future.

It would be like taking President Bachmann's opinion seriously as the opinion of the US, hypothetically speaking.
edit on 24-2-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Originally posted by DaTroof

It's not specifically Israel, it's some of the people within it. And most of them aren't lying, they are just of the opinion that Iran will pursue a nuclear weapon sometime in the future.

It would be like taking President Bachmann's opinion seriously as the opinion of the US, hypothetically speaking.
edit on 24-2-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

Israelis have mandatory IDF service, and many still do intelligence gathering into their 40s. Look it up, I'm not lying. Imagine if all US citizens had mandatory military service and did intelligence gathering for the CIA.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

America will believe Iran when Iran drops it on them.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

The mandatory military argument is a weak one.

List of Countries with mandatory military service

Armenia
] Austria
] Belarus
[Bermuda
] Brazil
] Burma (Myanmar)
] Colombia
] Cyprus
[] Denmark
] Egypt
] Finland
[] Greece
] Iran
] Israel
] South Korea
] Mexico
] Norway
] Russia
Singapore
Switzerland
] Taiwan (ROC)
] Turkey
] Ukraine

Are we to believe that all these countries are evil for the same reason as Israelis are supposedly evil?

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
reply to post by satron

America will believe Iran when Iran drops it on them.

How would Iran get a nuclear bomb to land in America? Using their longest ranged rockets, it would still have to be launched from Canada or Mexico.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by DaTroof

The mandatory military argument is a weak one.

List of Countries with mandatory military service

Armenia
] Austria
] Belarus
[Bermuda
] Brazil
] Burma (Myanmar)
] Colombia
] Cyprus
[] Denmark
] Egypt
] Finland
[] Greece
] Iran
] Israel
] South Korea
] Mexico
] Norway
] Russia
Singapore
Switzerland
] Taiwan (ROC)
] Turkey
] Ukraine

Are we to believe that all these countries are evil for the same reason as Israelis are supposedly evil?

The point I'm making is that the Israeli people are just as much a part of the problem as the heads of state. They never stop working for and being loyal to the IDF until they are over 40. Even then, they may continue service.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I have to disagree. Loyalty to your country and military service do not make you an active participant in the decision making processes of the heads of state. Being a US military veteran myself, I can personally attest to the fact that I had no control over the decisions made by my country leaders. This service does not put those citizens on the same level of responsibility as their government leaders, it just makes them loyal citizens.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I found the article to be less than crystal clear. The impression that I got from it is that Iran is not, at this moment, assembling a nuclear warhead.

But the article was not completely reassuring.

The most recent report, which represents the consensus of 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, indicates that Iran is pursuing research that could put it in a position to build a weapon, but that it has not sought to do so.

Albright's group estimates that with the centrifuges Iran already has, it could enrich uranium to sufficient purity to make a bomb in as little as six months, should it decide to do so.

Some developments have bolstered the view that Iran is secretly pursuing a weapon

He said the 2007 estimate was poorly worded and "quickly got translated into 'Iran stopped its nuclear program,'" which he does not believe is accurate.

The more important finding, Hadley said, was that Iran was continuing its efforts to develop fissile material and to build ballistic missiles capable of delivering warheads.

"They are doing everything they can to put themselves in a position so that they have a clear and fairly quick route to a nuclear weapon," he said.

My impresssion from the article is that we don't believe Iran is currently assembling the pieces of a bomb, but that they are working hard to get to the point where they could have one in a hurry. And, they are getting very close.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said the same thing just the other day !!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What a "coincidence" !!

new topics

top topics

join