It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 70+ Quakes Shake Nevada/California Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
70 quakes shook the border of Nevada and California today. The strongest measuring a 5.5. David Oppenheimer, a seismologist claims that most of the quakes were magnitude 2 or smaller. The shaking began about 12:02 this morning.

abcnews.go.com
MAMMOTH LAKES, Calif. Sept. 18, 2004 � A swarm of earthquakes one a magnitude-5.5 jolted a remote, sparsely populated area along the eastern Sierra Nevada on Saturday, authorities said.

A Mono County sheriff's dispatcher said there were no immediate reports of any injuries or damage from the temblors centered along the California-Nevada line about 30 miles northeast of Mammoth Lakes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Oppenheimer is not sure what will happen now, there could be more 5.5 or greater quakes on the way or the shaking could stop. Shaking was reported at least 35 miles away from the epicenter.

Oppenheimer believes that the falling apart of the Great Basin in Utah is causing the quakes. Witnesses claimed that they felt the ground rolling beneath them, and it felt as someone was leaning the buildings back and forth.

Related Links
earthquake.usgs.gov

[edit on 20-9-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Ok, seriously, what in Gods name is up with Mother Nature? I thought it was a typo, and it was only 7, but still 7 in one place would be a heck of alot. Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Tornados, Flooding. I guess I am going to see 10ft of snow this year in one day

SMR

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It is really interesting that this is happening.
I used to visit the Mammoth area alot along with Mono Lake area,Bridgeport and the surrounding areas.Such as Twin Lakes.
My grandmother would always tell me that Mammoth mountain was going to blow one day.I wonder if this is any pre-action here.
I think this is something people in that area should be paying attention to.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
70! Luckily, you'd have to be sitting on a 2 to feel one that small and 3's are rarely felt. You might think someone slammed a door hard and hear windows rattle a bit. The rolling motion described is usually a good sign of pressure being released instead of the violent movements caused by a rupture. I'll never forget the Northridge quake and still sleep with a flashlight and shoes next to my bed after that horrible early-morning quake.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This would be a foreshadowing of a volcanic event, rather than a
big earthquake.
No one has been killed by these quakes, at least not in the last 100 years

The Long Valley Caldera complex has been grumbling on and off for a long time. Volcanic Earthquake swarms are not uncommon.
A little like subterranean indigestion, they are created when magma moves underground. Causing some vibrations

The original eruption, however, itwas BIG. 760,000 years ago, about 600 cubic (kilo)meters of earth was blasted into the sky.By comparison Mt Saint Helens was a measley 1.2 cubic (kilo)meters!!

A lot more info available at the links below

Sources:

www.cyberspaceorbit.com...
www.fact-index.com...

[edit on 19-9-2004 by spacedoubt]

[edit on 19-9-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I find that a little worrysome. What's up with all this strange and dangerous weather this year. It may be me being paranoid but I was wondering how active HAARP has been lately or this year. Could all this strange weather be attributed to them pushing the ionosphere 80-100 miles into space??

Maybe Vancouver will become the next tropical destination in a few years.

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

By comparison Mt Saint Helens was a measley 1.2 cubic meters!!

not sure what the exact figure here is but i know that 3 million cubic
meters were moved by mudslides, andd that ash was blown all the way to south dakota.
Mt. St. Helens info

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
usgs.gov updated their information this. Apparently beneath Adobe Hill 18 miles east of Mono Lake, 300 earthquakes have been reported since midnight of September 18th.

lvo.wr.usgs.gov

Elsewhere, the earthquake swarm beneath the Adobe Hill 18 miles east of Mono Lake continues. As of this update, it has included over 300 earthquakes since it began just after midnight yesterday (Sept. 18). Twenty two of these have had magnitudes of M=3.0 or greater and five have had magnitudes of M=4.0 or greater. The two largest earthquakes were M=5.5 and M=5.4 earthquakes at 4:02PM and 4:43 PM yesterday. The most recent M=3.0 earthquake occurred at 6:29 AM this morning (the 19th).

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
ooops

1.2 cubic meters, what is that a wheelbarrel load? LOL
sorry for the error

I meant cubic KILOMETERS.
600 versus 1.2

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wasnt there a group of scientists just proved wrong over predicting the next quake over 5.0 would hit CA in the beginning of September? They were supposed to hit before 9/5 or the theory was no good. Being off by 14 days isn't so bad.

I'll see if I can find a reference to this info...

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Here's a link RedBalloon. I had searched for the info earlier as I thought the prediction was close. It seems the seismologist called for a 6.4 in the desert area of Southern California by Labor Day. So he's off by two weeks, some richter points and about 350 miles...

Earthquake Prediction

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I am watching these events carefully, and will continue to update this thread.

As of 16:51:04 (UTC) which is 9:51am Local Time, a magnitude 4.8 earthquake was recorded at 38.029�N, 118.644�W in Central California, which is 33 kilometers SSW of Qualeys Ridge. and 53 kilometers NE of Mammoth Lake

earthquake.usgs.gov
A light earthquake occurred at 16:51:04 (UTC) on Monday, September 20, 2004. The magnitude 4.8 event has been located in CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. The hypocentral depth was estimated to be 5 km ( 3 miles). (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I like this one best: quake.usgs.gov...

In all honestly 70+ earthquakes? If you check that data daily, you'll realize small quakes happen almost constantly in the area so the claims of 70+ really don't seem that unusual.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It is being reported that more than 300+ earthquakes have been recorded in that area. The link that you give shows more than 430 earthquakes in the last week, in the same area.

I don't think that that is normal.

top topics

join