It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beachcombers in the US and Canada beware to pick up materials from sea, it could be radioactive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just a precaution for whats coming ,that I read today. I don't know of how many here live around beaches , I presume west coast.. But be careful because they already warn that debris washed ashore could be radio active..

devastated Fukushima, Japan, and later this year debris from that event should begin to wash up on U.S. shores – and one question many have asked is whether that will pose a radiation risk. The simple answer is, no.

Do you people mind if I don't believe that, as easy as this has been stated? because a few lines further they say this...

However, that’s not to say that all of the debris that reaches Pacific Coast shores in the United States and Canada will be harmless.

“The tsunami impacted several industrial areas and no doubt swept out to sea many things like bottled chemicals or other compounds that could be toxic,” said Kathryn Higley, professor and head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics at OSU.

“If you see something on the beach that looks like it may have come from this accident, you shouldn’t assume that it’s safe,” Higley said. “People should treat these debris with common sense; there could be some things mixed in there that are dangerous. But it will have nothing to do with radioactive contamination.”

So I just thought this could be of any importance to the people of the US an Canada to be warned , watch your children on the beaches and don't let the dogs out..

OSU

Be save....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

Well as an Oregonian beach fan, I appreciate this info, The last few years we have noticed an increase in little light blue chips that litter and glitter the sands these days. Come to find out it is bits and pieces of plastic.
I hope the shells and agates are unaffected, but now I guess I will find out for sure first, but it sounds more like floating material is the concern.

Thanks,
spec

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thats what I mean, there also talk around here about metal boxes found on the beach, Who knows they could be from Fukushima, Japan, I would be very upset if friends or loved ones would be seriously ill from that debris.

You almost insist that local authorities placing nets to capture any debris, but that could also lead to other natural/ animal disasters but something like that..?
edit on 21/12/2010 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Those metal boxes were determined to be a hoax:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Yea. an attempt to net any debris would be costly I would imagine, but if they find enough radiated material, I am sure they will start a clean up program. I'll await OSU's continued studies.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
There is probably islands 50 meters deep floating to the west coast...Not radioactive though...remember the back wash happened way before the leak.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by saroncan

remember the back wash happened way before the leak.

What do you mean about that?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

You need to remember that while the tsunami damaged the reactor the fuel did not leak right away. The debris should be what was washed away in the waves not what came later. The water around that area is probably deadly but the stuff that got washed away at the start of this event will not be radioactive because there was no fuel released right away.

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

He means the tsunami washed this stuff away from Japan before the radioactive fuel started leaking from the damaged reactor. The events were not at the same time. First came the EQ that damaged to reactor then came the tsunami that carried the debris away from Japan, then the fuel leaked. The debris should be clean as far as radioactivity goes. What is going on with the leaked fuel now is a question. Can the ocean absorb this without having problems?

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

TEPCO admitted that there were meltdowns within the first 48-72hours of the tsunami.

new topics

top topics

join