It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Obayashi Corp. plans to build Space Elevator by 2050

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Japan Will Have a Space Elevator by 2050

It might the stuff of science fiction dreams, but a Japanese construction company has announced that it will have built a working space elevator by 2050. Where can I join the queue?

According to the The Daily Yomiuri, construction company Obayashi Corp has announced it will have built a space elevator capable of shuttling passengers 36,000 kilometers above the Earth by 2050.

The company plans to use carbon nanontubes, which are 20 times stronger than steel, to produce the cables required for the elevator. Those cables will be stretched to a counterweight 96,000 kilometers above our planet, about one-fourth of the distance between the Earth and the moon.

The terminal station, 36,000 kilometers above Earth, will be reached by cars that can carry 30 people and travel at 200 kilometers per hour.

Construction firm aims at space elevator in 2050

Tokyo-based Obayashi Corporation has it's eyes on a nano-tube superstructure enabling a paradigm-shifting development in space faring technology. And it believes it can achieve this goal in a matter of a few decades.

Aside from GoogleX and it's collection of 'new tech' ideas, this is the first commercial commitment made towards the goal of moving people into space without the use of explosive combustibles.

What say you ATS? Good idea?

I would definitely want a ride to the top... assuming I could afford one!

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Do not forget what happened
to Charles Lindbergh's blimp the first
time it went for a spin.

Other then that, WAY to reach
for the stars japan, you go
Japan.

I thought they would have a moon elevator
by 2050, this does not seem that cool compared
to a moon elevator..
edit on 22-2-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Apparently this has already been posted in another forum (Science&Technology) please contribute to that thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

join