It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Things NASA Flew On Space SHuttles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
So as I was researching I found that one thing lead into another and another, and before you know it, I saw that the Space Shuttles have flown some extremely nonsensical items into space.

Here are just a few of the top 9, but keep scrolling and there are many many more. I am quite fascinated that something as serious as space travel would be mocked in this way. Many of us seriously have our division between ourselves, and other possible beings and visitation to this Earth, and seeing how childishly we take our space missions, is a waste of time, and frankly, a mock to those that take it seriously.

I guess that if a UFO landed here, and it had a toilet seat from the God of their planet, then maybe I would be less bothered by this. Or if they had some dirt from their sport arena of a bunch of aliens that make way to much Bling Blang or whatever their currency is, and decided that it was a milestone for their journey in space then maybe just maybe this could be a bit more comical.

I wonder if a conversation over who was a better contributor to this planet happened and Tesla was over looked because Buzz Lightyear was a hit in the movie theaters.

BTW for those that think that we have the capability to actually meet other beings in outer space, I wonder how they feel that if aliens came aboard, the space shuttle would be filled with useless flags, toys, ashes, and soda, how seriously should any other being take us. I dont even take this much crap with me on vacation, nevertheless outter space, where billions are used, and we take over head compartment, and take on items and turn it into a salvation army/comic con/sportscenter.

Here are some of the pins that they took up there.

Does Jet Blue even still exist?

Unless this could actually be a weapon, WHAT?? I could see a real misunderstanding between the Space Shuttle and the possible Space Police.

Um Officer of Space, this is a toy.
Really? It looks like a weapon to me.

No offense to those who love Star Trek, but really! Gene Roddenberry's ashes.

Really a home plate from Shea Stadium?
Looking at this pic, it cost money to get that there, its not a zip lock bag from Walmart.

The rest can be found here. Even Space.com decided to post this!
www.space.com...

BTW this is part comical and part

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The 2nd pic down is what appears to be a Lightsaber.
I was not aware of Jedi astronauts, and freemasons don't carry lightsabers, they do play with toys though.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Future conversations would go something like this.

Kid: Mom, why dont we go into space anymore.

Mom: Because we did stuff like this honey.... because we did stuff like this.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
The 2nd pic down is what appears to be a Lightsaber.
I was not aware of Jedi astronauts, and freemasons don't carry lightsabers, they do play with toys though.

No Jedi astronauts for the US, but it did resupply the ISS and there was indeed a Jedi on the ISS at that time. That information as to who is was is classified though.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Second pic looks like that contraption Arnold used to extract that bug out of his nose.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I like random off the wall stuff like this, thanks!

still lolling

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
oh come on guys

that 2nd pic is clearly an anal probe

never seen one from that angle though

edit on 22-2-2012 by LeLeu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I don't think you understand the delight that people take in carrying trinkets into space, just for the sheer "uniqueness" of it.

The first photo are of very light-weight items of course (since you mentioned the excess weight costs). Even the Light Sabre is just a hollow prop....it was one actually used in the filming of a "Star Wars" film, by actor Mark Hamill:

An interesting side note to the STS-120 has to do with the lightsaber that was used by actor Mark Hamill in the 1983 Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi film. The original lightsaber is being flown to the space station and then returned to Earth, in honor of the 30th anniversary of director George Lucas' Star Wars franchise.

You can see all sorts of things from this article, just on STS-120, as well.

Collect Space.com

Gene Roddenberry's ashes? [**]That was a request in his will....and, not the full several pounds of a total Human cremation remains.....just a portion of them. About the size of a lipstick. This flew on STS-52, and the ashes were returned.

[**]Side note....I just have to mention, as a self-professed Star Trek geek, that is the wrong U.S.S. Enterprise pictured, there. That one is considered more as "belonging" to director J.J Abrams .... as it is the version used in his 2009 Star Trek film....long after Gene Roddenberry's death. Also, that film coyly (for his purposes and storyline changes) represents an "alternate timeline" from the original, and 'Classic' Star Trek of Roddenberry's creation.......

More of his (Roddenberry's) ashes were launched aboard a Pegasus XL rocket, from near the Canary Islands, in 1997.....that has by now de-orbited and burned up in the atmosphere.

There are plans from his estate, and his deceased wife Majel Barrett, to be launched into deep space...sometime this year, tentatively.

"Star Trek" James Doohan's ["Scotty"] ashes failed to reach orbit on a privately-funded 'Space X' launch back in 2008.

Doohan’s Ashes Fail To Make Orbit + Statement From Family

SO, you see.....this is simply not unusual.

Home Base plate.....maybe was the "heaviest" ever of a "non-mission specific" item ever lofted....but, just how much does one of those things really weight, anyway? (And, the plastic bag in the photo was only because they were using it to train in the pool)....

Wikipedia says that a modern Home Plate is made out of whitened rubber. So for its regulation dimensions, it weighs maybe a few pounds??

Each Astronaut was granted a certain weight allowance amount for "personal" items, even back in the days of Apollo.......

edit on Wed 22 February 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join