It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Dotcom granted bail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Kim Dotcom granted bail

www.stuff.co.nz

Alleged internet pirate Kim Dotcom has been granted bail in a surprise court move this morning, after new evidence came to light.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
No news yet on what the "new evidence" is.

but as a kiwi it seemed strange to me that he is considered a flight risk since he is quite recognisable, his passport(s) have been seized, he could be required to report to police daily and/or have a bracelet fitted and all that stuff.

NZ is still a fairly laid back country and this was pretty strange.

I'm interested to find out what this new evidence will be.

www.stuff.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
He has a history of fleeing and he is US public enemy no.1

I'm actually a little surprised he managed to win the appeal.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

As am I. I personally find it repugnant that the US is trying to get everyone else involved in Hollyweird's witch hunt. Surprised that DHS hasn't tied Dotcom to terrorism yet.
edit on 21/2/12 by Kyprian because: typo

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kyprian

If you want to see any evidence of Hollywood's deep entrenchment in DHS just look at the new movie they've produced and a re jamming down the people's throats.... "now with 100% added patriotism!"

Don't think for a minute that if they could, they would call intellectual property theft an act of terrorism..... but they can't until they rewrite history to conceal all the thievery and racketeering they engaged in the struggle to become the masters of the media and political world.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I think here's why he got bail.

The German millionaire

With enough lawyers he can actually defend himself. But the case may drag for years.

I think this is a bunch of crap. I'm tired of the riaa and mpaa legislating their business model and expecting tax payers to pay for enforcement.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
time to use some of that money he has to buy a submarine and flee to a country with out extradition treaties with the usa not like he dosent have the money for such things sure some hard core torrenter might even hide the guy out of some form of loyalty or just go to a country that outright hates the usa and run their torrent opperations from that country

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I still find it hilarious that women are getting raped all over the country, children are getting beaten, money is being smuggled from corporate to corporate, we all slave away for less than we deserve...

famine and plague thrive in all of these other countries, where the drinking water is the 2nd leading cause of death, and food is on an equal standing with solid gold...

and the best thing we can come up with is arresting people for this #?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The original article has been extended wit the judge's reasoning:

Bail was granted bail after it emerged it was highly unlikely he had access to money that could help him flee New Zealand.

Judge Nevin Dawson said at the North Shore District Court that officials had investigated Dotcom's potential access to funds and "none of significance" had been found.

Judge Dawson said it was "highly unlikely" that he had other financial resources available to him that had not already been seized.

Prosecution acting for the United States Government had said that because Dotcom was "very wealthy" it was probable he had more bank accounts.

However, Judge Dawson said this put Dotcom in the position of having to "prove a negative" and that assertion was not enough to imply his flight risk.

Four new bank accounts had been discovered in the Philippines but they were empty, he said.

It had also arisen that Finland and Germany, where Dotcom has citizenship, do have treaties with the United States which would allow him to be prosecuted there if he did skip the country.

So it seems he has no access to vast cash amounts atm, and if he did ever flee "home" he could still be extradited anyway.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
He might not have any more money in 'traceable' bank accounts, but I have no doubt he's stashed a lot of GOLD and other cash convertible items.

Goodbye Kit (as he sails away on a fishing boat), we're sorry about New Zealand becoming a puppet (John Key) for the US Government and seizing your properties, cash and bank accounts, on unproven charges!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

What has actually been seized?

NZ happily freezes assets thought to be ill-gotten before any conviction - there's even legislation covering it - read a summary here, and if you suspect that is the case why would you let the alleged crim dispose of it out of reach??

If they are not guilty they get it all back, with interest if that is being earned.

If they are guilty then they haven't been able to dispose of it.

anything else is nonsensical.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

What has actually been seized?

NZ happily freezes assets thought to be ill-gotten before any conviction - there's even legislation covering it - read a summary here, and if you suspect that is the case why would you let the alleged crim dispose of it out of reach??

If they are not guilty they get it all back, with interest if that is being earned.

If they are guilty then they haven't been able to dispose of it.

anything else is nonsensical.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

Millions of dollars in bank accounts, properties that he owned, vehicles etc...

Sure he might get his seized property back, but in the meantime his business enterprise has been DESTROYED, costing potential millions in lost revenue.

Ask many of the business in the US that have been raided by IRS, FBI etc on 'suspicion that have had their assets seized, while a case is built against them (often raided on a false accusation by jealous competitor etc), that though they eventually prove their innocense, how much it COSTS them in lost profits in the meantime.

Just remember this guy is INNOCENT of the charges, until PROVEN GUILTY, yet it's okay in your eyes to DESTROY his business?
edit on 21-2-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

That's tough - if you sail close to the edge of law then this is a possible result - so yeah it's OK with me - you choose your business, you get to live with the results

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Maybe you can say that in Kit's case, but many of those other incidents I mentioned, were restaurants, bakeries that were raided because someone just made a call to the FBI etc, and said that they suspected drug dealing or terrorism activities.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Kim dotcom is a legend, he's now exposing some govt corruption here in nz, telling the media about his 50k donation to John banks, also he release a rap song about it and is in the process of making a movie, cant wait to ee what its all about www.youtube.com... theres a link to the song, and yes kimdotcom made this with the producer of blackeyedpeas

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hiphoprevolution

donating to politicians in NZ is not corruption.

Making funny rap songs isn't either......

top topics

join