It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Page on ATS! Live Trending Topics (updated 2)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Is there an opt out for the map locator aspect.

It's anonymous and never associated with usernames or anything else.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
One concern: The pages include generic pages, such as Hot Topics. Thsi isn;t really very useful. It would be better if the topics represented only threads rarther than starter or general pages. Right now eight out of twenty pages on the display are generic ones.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Im not sure if thats showing the location of people visiting or the location of people who posted. It interesting but a bit unsettling.

I don't think it shows our locations very precisely, I'm in Saskatchewan, but it only shows a couple of hits in Canada, and they're not in the prairies.
Even on pages that say they show our exact location, they usually say I'm at 4 hours away from my actual location. I guess the ISP does that?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by Destinyone
Is there an opt out for the map locator aspect.

It's anonymous and never associated with usernames or anything else.

TY SO...of course if the SHTF, my Welcome Mat is always out for ATS owners and staff.....:

Des

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Im not sure if thats showing the location of people visiting or the location of people who posted. It interesting but a bit unsettling.

I don't think it shows our locations very precisely, I'm in Saskatchewan, but it only shows a couple of hits in Canada, and they're not in the prairies.
Even on pages that say they show our exact location, they usually say I'm at 4 hours away from my actual location. I guess the ISP does that?

GPS doesn't have my location programmed in yet. I like it that way....

Des

link   

Damn't Skeptic one shiny flashy screen for me to stare at was enough! That map function is really cool. I'm impressed with these new toys and think they will be awesome when finished. How long have these been in the works?

link   
I think it would be cool if each member had a personal version of the trending page.

So they could see real time trends of all the threads they created.

link   

reply to post by mr-lizard

There's no good way to filter specific pages from the results, as the intent is to show the top-20 pages, of all pages, being accessed by visitors.
Since you cannot remove them, it would be helpful if you could use different colors.(If that is possible).

If you could make it so that the various forum pages were of a darker color in the list, it would be easy to filter them out with your mind. (Skimming down the page.. Overlooking the darker page names, and reading the brighter ones.....)

Maybe even something like this↓
[color=FFF459]481 [color=6AAFBA]AboveTopSecret.com - Conspiracy Theories, UFOs, Paranormal, Political....

[color=FFF459]407 [color=6AAFBA]AboveTopSecret.com - Real-Time Headlines, Picks, and Replies

[color=FFF459]245 [color=6AAFBA]AboveTopSecret.com Recently Active Topics: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 @ 21:10 GMT

[color=FFF459]136 [color=4AFFE7]4.0 EQ Dead Center New Madrid (Missouri), page 1

[color=FFF459]109 [color=63FFFA]Alien Moon Base Captured By Chang'e-2 Orbiter 2012, page 1

I don't know. It may not even be possible. Just a suggestion.

That map reminds me of 'Whack-A-Mole'. It's moving too fast to read all of it, so I was trying to catch one with my cursor lol. Every time I got close, it would jump away, and pop up in a different continent.

Stupid moles are too fast.

edit on 2/21/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Love the idea !!

but the arrows should be smaller
some have the point cut off
and it will make things goes smoothier when it is refreshed each 5 sec

also
the views for each threads should be added
on the corner of the thread itself
so we can see how many views a thread had

thanks

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Your location will probably show up as your ISP providers location.

Not your home or town location.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think this might force some of the lesser known threads even further down the list.
People might be tempted to just look at the trending page to save time instead of look in the forums for cool threads.

Just how I see it, good job on coming up with a new feature though making something that updates like that must have taken tons of coding.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdRock69

Besides the link in this thread.

How do you reach the page?

If you plan on using it, and don't wanna keep coming back to this thread, then bookmark it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

We're experimenting with a new page that provides a live look at the top 20 pages being viewed in real time by all visitors (members and guests).

Here it is: Currently Trending Pages

The arrows at left give an indication if the page is rising or falling in reader count.

The number just to the right of the arrow is the number of readers currently on the page.

And of course, the page title is indicated to the right of the reader count.

It's rather mesmerizing.

Hi,

What pisses me off about the current "RECENT POSTS" is that NEW POSTS from the "SAME THREAD" appear numerous times on all of the pages.

For example...
Top of Page 1, RON PAUL IS KING.
Middle of Page 1, RON PAUL IS KING.
Bottom of Page 1, RON PAUL IS KING.
Top of Page 2, RON PAUL IS KING.
Middle of Page 2, RON PAUL IS KING.
Bottom of Page 2, RON PAUL IS KING.

How about allowing just ONE instance of "RON PAUL IS KING" over ALL "recent post" pages?

Namely the LATEST ""RON PAUL IS KING" post timed at 8.05pm, REPLACING THE PREVIOUS "RON PAUL IS KING"post timed at 8.03.

Forgive me if you have already done this ON YOUR NEW SOFTWARE.

THANKS

edit on 21-2-2012 by neotech1neothink because: edit text

edit on 21-2-2012 by neotech1neothink because: ERROR CORRECTION - RECENT PAGES...LOL... should have said RECENT POSTS!

edit on 21-2-2012 by neotech1neothink because: edit text

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I see 30 readers is usually enough to get a thread onto the bottom of the list.
I wonder how easy it is for a group of friends to rig it in order to give a starting boost to a particular thread?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Have often thought . . .

I assume that READERSHIP influences ad revenue.

How about it contributing to points? Particularly for the top 20-30 viewed threads?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by neotech1neothink

What are you talking about?
Where do you see 'Recent Pages'?

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

FORGIVE ME, TWAS AN ERROR WHICH I'VE CORRECTED.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

reply to post by mr-lizard

There's no good way to filter specific pages from the results, as the intent is to show the top-20 pages, of all pages, being accessed by visitors.

I get ya.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Very cool, and nice to see the loops not infiltrating the Space Exploration forum, (until someone posts a Apollo moon hoax thread).

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
green chevron = UP

red chevron = down

but this 'trending qualifier' is limited to the ATS Universe

i do not even click on the YAHOO News Trending box
which includes the whole real time world

you do however have the solution to the Hero-Goat count ...
which would replace the "Stars=
" versus "No Stars=
" ratings of threads that you all refuse to install

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join