It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bought a WW2 Radar instrument by accident. Anyone with a bit of experience? I have pictures

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
As the title says... it was a house clearance stall, found it along with a couple of books on air navigation and radio waves. So here are the images, any help is appreciated.

There you go.. I'm pretty oblivious to this sort of technology, I'm more engines.
I have figured out that it uses an 8" Cathode Ray Tube, the Valves are V.U. 120 10E/121 D.P. and 5Z4G.

Get to work guys.
edit on 20-2-2012 by MBUK3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MBUK3D

I cant see the pics....
they are just x's...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Check your pics mate. Not working.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
about to redo them, hang with me

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
How big are the valves? For a radar they usually use TWTs but in WW2 they may have used valves but they would have been huge.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I've worked on many aircraft radar systems. Non quite that old. Your picture links are not working for me. Did it come with the power inverters? What do you want help with exactly?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hmm..

So did you want to Pawn it or Sell it?

It looks fake, but since you got some time to kill I'll call up a buddy of mine who is an expert at these things and then if it's real, we'll deal because Americans LOVE Americana.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Just seen the pic. IMO that is not a Radar I;m pretty sure of that, it is more likely to be some kind of transponder.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Looks like the fuse holders and some of the panel controls have been stripped out. You've got a lot of work ahead of you. Need to search some archives and enthusiast sites for the schematics.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Is it the iPhone 5
?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It is not a RADAR but after seing more pice it certainly has a cathode ray tube in it. It may be a Radar viewing module but that is very different ffrom beind a Radar.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
If it didn't come with the dish, dish mount, horn, waveguides, then it is a permanent boat anchor. I've purchased 80's era, complete systems for under $100CAD. One was capable of doing weather formations out to 80 knots. You may want to shop around for something a bit easer to start with.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thanks guys, no chance of pawning it, going to see if its salvageable after finding out what it is.
If its of any value it'll be donated to a local Aircraft Museum. It's not too stripped out theres more electronics underneath it and on empty holder of a fuse? or a diode? it had 2 glass tubes I presume to be valves, basic amp knowledge, and the cathode tube.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MBUK3D

If it is a piece of radar, it is only a small part. You would still need the receiver and transmitter. The big ol' dish thing!

edit on 20-2-2012 by bjrichardson because: spellun!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
yeah, I agree. It's just the monitor/control panel. It may even just be an oscilloscope which are much more common.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
That does not look like an aircraft radar. Maybe it is a stationary radar or missile tracking radar.

Back in 1970 I took a radar out of an F 86 Sabre that had crashed on the Smokey Hill Air Force Bomb Range in Kansas. It looked quite different than that. When dad returned from Vietnam, I was not allowed to bring it with us to his next PCS because he said he would not pay to have something that heavy moved with our household goods. So I had to give it to one of my friends whose father was still in Vietnam. I hope he had better luck with his dad than I had with mine. I sure wish I had it today.

I used to take Minuteman missile parts out of the base dump in Malmstrom AFB Montana and when I was on Okinawa some friends and I built an X-ray machine after we found an X-ray tube that was intact at the base dump there.

Back in the day searching military land fills was an exciting past time for science minded kids.

I gave you a flag for a great find.

edit on 2-20-2012 by groingrinder because: Edited to remove starches.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
r-type.org...

very similar to the one on the unit

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
230vac at 50 hz is not aircraft wiring.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Even I should of noticed that one.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

"when I was on Okinawa some friends and I built an X-ray machine after we found an X-ray tube that was intact at the base dump there."
Now that's a bit scarey......I am a retired Xray tech. (but I bet it was fun).

<<   2 >>

join