It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learn the difference, spelling means something!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I am so fed up that some people don't know that "Marshall Law" is not "Martial Law".
"Martial Law" is when the military takes over an area and puts under military jurisdiction for any of various reasons.
"Marshall Law" is a character in the video game Tekken.

GET IT STRAIGHT PEOPLE, OTHERWISE I WON'T EVER TAKE THAT POST SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Overstuffed

LEARN YOUR ENGLAND!!!

learnyourdamnhomophones.com...

AYE !!! I'm with you and maybe whan thay learn theyre stuff, than they will stop it!!

oh Im a pickle, aint I..

edit on 20-2-2012 by mainidh because: any and... oh i bight my own bum...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Golly Oscars, JP golly Oscars...

Speaking of spelling, do you know which witch is which?

Nobody's nose knows like Scooby-Doos nose knows, you know.

I can't think of any other good ones off the top of my head.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Don't stress too much OP!

It used to get on my nerve's, especially the "I could care less" thing... GAH drives me insane!

Here!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
These learn to spell complaint threads mystify me. I wish that my problems were small enough that prioritizing my use of energy toward complaining about spelling errors on a chat forum was realistic.

Do you honestly have problems understanding what people mean when they use marshall instead of martial or is it a need to look more intelligent?

Personally I take issue to prescribing to the ridiculous rules of the English language.

If you want something to complain about, then complain about the idiots that created such a messed up language and the other idiots that are to bent on tradition to have it fixed.

Honestly if people put this much effort toward saving the planet...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
These learn to spell complaint threads mystify me. I wish that my problems were small enough that prioritizing my use of energy toward complaining about spelling errors on a chat forum was realistic.

Do you honestly have problems understanding what people mean when they use marshall instead of martial or is it a need to look more intelligent?

Personally I take issue to prescribing to the ridiculous rules of the English language.

If you want something to complain about, then complain about the idiots that created such a messed up language and the other idiots that are to bent on tradition to have it fixed.

Honestly if people put this much effort toward saving the planet...

I know rite!! nothing worse than a "lrn 2 spel" thread..

Than a "Why u post lrn 2 spl thrds?? Gahh"

Now they irk me, but I find them funny also.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

bump

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The homonym and spelling problem is just one symptom among many in our society that denote a degradation of communicative abilities among the common people of this world.

There is a scene in the original version of Orwell's 1984 that talks about the destruction of words, and therefore the ability to communicate certain ideas, because there is no longer a word for them. And the remaining words are inadequate to the task.

Such is our future. But instead of "big brother" doing it. We'll butcher the language ourselves.

ETA: Here we go. Fast forward to 2:35.

edit on 2/20/2012 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mzungu
reply to post by Qumulys

bump

I love David Mitchell! He is hilarious in Peep Show.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
to the op:

maybe you should be the one learning the new language. the english language is the most flawed language in the entire world. we are the only peoples that use the idiotic thought of have one word mean more than one thing. who's the stupid ones?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
to the OP
you know I see that a lot. Cops in riot gear are not Military personnel locking down a city. There is a big difference.

to the rest of you, you never read the OP, you just read the title, shame on you
edit on 20-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Overstuffed
I am so fed up that some people don't know that "Marshall Law" is not "Martial Law".
"Martial Law" is when the military takes over an area and puts under military jurisdiction for any of various reasons.

GET IT STRAIGHT PEOPLE, OTHERWISE I WON'T EVER TAKE THAT POST SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!

Does it matter how it is spelt, all that matters is that it is easily comprehendable. Not everybody is good at spelling or grammar and some people who post here English is not even their first language. what really matters is the content of the post not really how it is presented.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by Overstuffed

Does it matter how it is spelt, all that matters is that it is easily comprehendable. Not everybody is good at spelling or grammar and some people who post here English is not even their first language. what really matters is the content of the post not really how it is presented.

Yes, it does. What would you think if you looked up the Marshall Law and Martial Law for definition if your language was not english? Would rather make the concept intended rather lost in translation, wouldn't it?

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

But thats the whole point, the person who written it might not even be a native English speaker. Plus not everybody is good with English/Languages just like not everybody is a good artist or cook. I am not sure what you are trying to prove, maybe you are blessed with languages but you are certainly not blessed with tollerance.
edit on 20-2-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I wouldn't say that its a spelling error. But a grammar mistake.
Marshal; is spelt correctly.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
I wouldn't say that its a spelling error. But a grammar mistake.
Marshal; is spelt correctly.

Brilliant

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
If a lawmaker named Marshal, enacted Martial Law, then you would have Marshal's Martial Law.
That could fix all the confusion.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

But thats the whole point, the person who written it might not even be a native English speaker. Plus not everybody is good with English/Languages just like not everybody is a good artist or cook. I am not sure what you are trying to prove, maybe you are blessed with languages but you are certainly not blessed with tollerance.
edit on 20-2-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

Horse#. You have no idea of what the hell I put up with now, let alone what I have put up with in the past with no fanfare. Since when does getting a bit pissy about something like this mean I have no tolerance? You want to talk about little or no tolerance, take your pick of all the people that like to pick on gays, or blacks on sole account of something they can't change and post on that. This is the RANT forum.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I for one love it when someone points out my spelling errors! I just point them to my signature!

(For you lurking members)
If you see a spelling error in this post before you point it out be sure to count the words spelled correctly and include them in your report.
--Mgmt

If the meaning is not lost on the reader, then the word has served its purpose. Spelled correctly, or not. Of course, you could always get Marshall Law to instill martial law, maybe Jude could chip in?

All are better than Martian law!

new topics

top topics

join