It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Series of Tornado Warnings in D.C, PA, VA, MD, NC, SC, FL Mark Ivans Degradation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The National Weather Service released a mammoth number of Tornado warnings for the east coast on Friday. This was due to a feeder band of Ivan fomring into a freak weather condition. The wave of cold air coming from the west did nothing but fuel the vortexes. And at one point, tornado warnings were in effect for all East Coast states south of New York.

NWS Bulletins

There doesn't appear to be any major damage but the warnings put many on guard. Coming just 2 days after Ivan this band is quickly dissipating and it is not yet known if the conditions will be reproduced. This season has seen a marked increase in freak weather conditions with a startling series of Hurricanes and tropical storms slamming into the region. Many speculate that this has been caused by the expansion of a super high pressure zone in the north atlantic which is forcing the Hurricanes around its edge, which sits just off the atlantic coast.

National Radar Loop

Atlantic Satellite

[edit on 17-9-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Eww....

This doesn't look good.

Stay safe everyone, move your computers to the basement!

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Maybe 15 minutes to a half hour ago at least one funnel cloud was seen in Winchester, VA. Just heard it on the radio inbetween songs. Every few minutes on the TV they run the Emergency Broadcast bit with updates on the warnings and sightings.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
This is being called "an unprecedented level of storm activity"

I've got reports from people in several states, warnings all over the place with the Emergency Alert System being activated.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I've got bulletins for Wakefield, VA within the last few minutes. Prince Georges country, MD. and Washington D.C. within the past 6 minutes.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I live in North Carolina, I supposedly drove right through a tornado this afternoon, but I didn't see it. My sister freaked out when I got to her house. The tornado was supposed to have been on the ground between my house and hers and I had to have driven right through it. It was windy and dark, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a show.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
And I have been called crazy for talking about climate change and extreme weather in this thread and many others for months now.

It gets worse before it gets better people... Or maybe not!

These are if nothing else interesting times we live in, and IF I am right it is going to be even more interesting in the weeks and months ahead.. extreme winter is on it's way!

Stay tuned!

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
@ Deeprivergal

Wowzers.

The thing is, they're putting alot of severe thunderstorms into the tornado category now --just in case-- because of the upsurge in tornadoes in the past 2 hours.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well let me rephrase that, I actually got a pretty good show, but no tornadoes. I love the weather, and storms, but I would like to see them from afar, ya know?

When I pulled into my driveway, I stopped and looked up and I saw the clouds rotating above me, I hauled my butt real quick down the driveway to the house. LOL If I'm gonna go it's going to be with my family.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
"A TORNADO HAS BEEN CONFIRMED! IF YOU ARE NEAR THE PATH OF THIS
TORNADO...TAKE COVER NOW! THIS IS A LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. IF NO UNDERGROUND SHELTER IS AVAILABLE MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR. MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES SHOULD BE ABANDONED FOR MORE SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. AVOID WINDOWS!"
YIKES!!

I've never read a tornado warning before. I think I'd lose my mind if I saw a tornado heading my way; I'll take earthquakes any day. Take care East-Coasters.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
2 more for Maryland/DC area.

2 more for North Carolina
1 in PA
2 in VA.

Within last 10 minutes.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am in PA near pittsburgh, all we have here is massive flooding.. we broke the last ammount of rain here since before francis was set in 78 with like 3 and a half or 4 in.. now its at almost 6in..

All along the 3 rivers are completely flooding out.. some places are showing people waiting on thier rooves to be saved.. its insane.. a street down from my house is completely flooded out cause of a creek...

anyway no tornado's.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Damn Thich.

Showing warnings in Bedford County, PA.

Look at this image... crazy.

[edit on 17-9-2004 by Nerdling]

LL1

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
There is a cold front moving east, by Sunday in NY when the cold front moves through it's to turn rather cool (first day of fall).

This cold front hitting the moist air from hurricane Ivan is what is creating the tornadoes.

www.nws.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Viewing the satellite picture reminded me of the movie of global warming that just came out this summer (I'm drawing a blank on the name). But the scary thing about this, is that these pictures look eerily similar to the ones in the movie.

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
"Day After Tomorrow"...

I read the book - it was great, still want to see the movie. I didn't hear about the warnings until my best friend (who lives in SC) told me about it...

I also agree we're in for a wild winter.

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K."

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
We are under a Flood Watch in SE PA. My area gets flooded during a normal storm, and for some reason my internet goes kaplewee. Will keep in eye out in the Philly area and surrounding burbs.

www.nbc10.com...

[edit on 17-9-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
That radar image in posts above shows to me that Ivan is taking his whip out to really be nasty. I heard today that 2004 broke all previous number of tornados in a year records. We still have some time left in 2004 too. On top of that Frances went down on record I believe for being the 2nd highest tornado producing hurricane ever. Now Ivan just broke the Frances record.

I've seen the movie "The Day after Tomorrow". Great movie, I enjoyed the special effects even if they were a bit far fetched. I heard the actual chain of events might take a decade not 1 week. Strange coincidences this year. Record number of tornadoes. It was 20 degrees in Minnesota in August this year breaking record lows for August. The farmers almanac which some have claimed to be 80% accurate, predicts a cold and snowy winter ahead. Hang onto your hats folks.

new topics

top topics

join