It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methods in choosing religion:Intuition vs Logical Deduction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So, which one you choose to determine which is the real,up-to-date religion??? I am quite sure for different people it is different,some may convert after seeing a miracle or based on their background and upbringing but lets not venture into these aspects yet. Intuition vs Logical Deduction.Right Brain vs Left Brain. Holy texts have verses like "God is merciful" etc. that appeals to our "Intuition" part ,(I am not bashing or supporting these statements ,just stating them), on the other hand ,from the logical side ,like for example,ok,a buddhist/hindu thinks that reincarnation exists,supported by several scientific(not sure how valid) discoveries on certain people who claimed to have remember past lives,but how can one discern whether is this the truth or not???(Some)Peoples of other faith can always claim that "Oh,you see my religion is true because of so and so",when presented "evidences" from other faiths ,they can say that particular religion "it is a trick,"it is true but outdated/mistranslated","it is not relevant whether is it true or not". The good thing about using logical deduction is that after you die, IF (only if) some "Asker" or "white light" questions you,you would be able to answer,as for intuition,if you try to reason with them,and they say otherwise,you don;t have much thing to back yourself up,but using logical deductions have a weakness>>>>>what if you forgotten something else???Or your leading question is weak????You missed some points??Your source about certain faiths are wrong/biased and hence you formed your arguments against it wrongly??

In both ways, there is always the danger of denial ,if denial propels you to research further ,at least it has some good,but sometimes ,it is hard to say what if the thing we have denial towards it is actually right??? Because we as humans have limit in understanding this vast and astounding universe,if you ask ancient people they might think that time travel is possible(and perhaps it is) but tell them about computer they might not able to believe in existence of such things.Ok,please feel free to comment.thnks for reading

P/S:Buddha's words "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I experienced faith at a very very young age, as far as I can remember. But soon enough, I used both intuition and logic to determine that "God", to use a term that would define an absolute presence over everything there is, that Its position would be of a perfect equilibrium, being everything.

It led me to believe that equilibrium was the answer for us, too. Do not over love; it is said we should not give pearls to swines, but we also know that sometimes, we should present the other cheek, if only for the greater good. So do not over hate.

Thread on that finest of line that is the equilibrium, and you should be on the best path to lead your whole life.

Extremes only lead to bad decisions, injustice, hate and cry for vengeance. Hell is paved with good intentions while Heaven is a hard and painful road.

The yin and the yang. Equilibrium.

That is why I think, and believe, that my intuition as young boy was right on spot. Nothing can be raised, or built, if it doesn't reach equilibrium. Everything that is not is bound to crumble and fall.

That is what both intuition and logic gave me.

You can't be whole if you're a half.
The same goes for intuition and logic. You can't find the truth with only one of those tools.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I certainly wouldn't make the claim that any one religion is the "real one." Every religion has its logical place in our world, and my path may not be your path, but when virtuously walked those paths should go to the same place. Different surrounding principles with the same core.

As for reincarnation, it's not about evidence for it. Even the Buddha said he had meditated and saw eons of his own past lives, but also said that we should not blindly accept his word, but only accept it until we have looked at it with determined reasoning and our own logic. Whether or not we are reborn or reincarnated is not my concern, my actions have very real effects here and now. So, I will live my life as though I only have one chance on this Earth.

There's nothing wrong with intuition, but one must be careful and wise not to be ignorant. If doubts arise, question them. Examine everything for yourself. The only thing you really know is what you can see, hear, touch, etc..

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Religion is an uneducated persons only way to cope with their limited understanding of science.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
First of all, I'm not religious one bit, I find the thought of religion mind numbing. I feel that its completely wrong to force religion down your children's throat when their not even old enough to talk, then the child grows up with a bias opinion on religion - whereas if you dont influence the child's thoughts, the probability of that person coming religious at an older age is very minimum.

That aside, if i was to choose the most modern religion, whos path is - lets say 'better' (in my eyes) than other religions, then i would say Sikhism. I'll just quote a few sentences for all to know if their not aware of this pretty small, relativity young religion (25 million members, created in the 15th century)

The origins of Sikhi lie in the teachings of Guru Nanak and his successors. The essence of Sikh teaching is summed up by Nanak in these words: "Realization of Truth is higher than all else. Higher still is truthful living". Sikh teaching emphasizes the principle of equality of all humans and rejects discrimination on the basis of caste, creed, and gender. Sikh principles encourage living life as a householder.

The beginning of the first composition of Sikh scripture is the figure signifying the universality of God. It states that God is omnipresent and infinite, and is signified by the term ēk ōaṅkār. Sikhs believe that before creation, all that existed was God and God's hukam (will or order). When God willed, the entire cosmos was created. From these beginnings, God nurtured "enticement and attachment" to māyā, or the human perception of reality

God has no gender in Sikhi, (though translations may incorrectly present a male God); indeed Sikhi teaches that God is "Akal Purkh" with characteristic of "Nirankar" [Niran meaning "without" and kar meaning "form", hence "without form"]. In addition, Nanak wrote that there are many worlds on which God has created life

The religion really is an interesting topic to read on. It was created because in the religion Hinduism, they have ranks of class, basically if your born into a low classed family, you will never be able to work out of that (something like that) Then Sikhism came along, changed nearly everything and the religion just prospered from there (allot more than that, thats just a brief from an uneducated non believer)

I think Sikhism, out of all region - have a good all round message. They worship no man like he was better than other. And talk about God like its the universe which everybody is part of - unlike the two big ones, Christianity and Islam

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by theBigToe

Or religions are founded teachings of positivity, compassion, love, and are overall our attempt to make sense of a world that is naturally prone to animalistic behavior, materialism, and suffering.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBigToe
Religion is an uneducated persons only way to cope with their limited understanding of science.

No.

As much as religion is not my thing, I find your comment ignorant to say the least.

The most educated man on the planet may find solace in religion. I look at religion, more as a comfort thing than anything else

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna

Or religions are founded teachings of positivity, compassion, love, and are overall our attempt to make sense of a world that is naturally prone to animalistic behavior, materialism, and suffering.

If you think your religion teaches love then youre delusional.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I choose Jesus based upon truth which in many parts is logical deduction.

It is the only belief that actually explains how and why we got here and actually has a concrete never changing moral code that none of the other beliefs come close to.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
I choose Jesus based upon truth which in many parts is logical deduction.

It is the only belief that actually explains how and why we got here and actually has a concrete never changing moral code that none of the other beliefs come close to.

Oh yes. Instilling in your children that they are born with something wrong with them and that the only way to fix that is to believe as you do is absolutely beautiful and 100% not psychological trauma and child abuse.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Science and religon is two sides of the same coin from my point of view. Both fundamentals in Religon and in Science try to stop the evolution of knowledge. I seek knowledge and wisdom and do not choose to disregard what I find, just because my ego wants the thing I have been thaught as a child to be true. I have seen to much and feelt physical things that some people around me have not. The might call me crazy if I tell them the things I have experianced. But I know the thruth. I was blind before and still am a bit. But I am examining everything in the rabbit hole and I am trying to judge the things I find without preconseved notions of how it should be.

I would not say Einstein was uneducated but he was able to think. What if you are wrong and you are being smallminded? If education only is fundametalistic dogma about powerpyramids and dualistic approaches the education is not worth anything at all. Teaching a dog how to behave can also be seen as education. Are you free in your mind or are you a pet? Namaste

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Are faiths chosen? or are we indoctrinated in the dogmas of our parents? Religion is almost implanted as an invasive species of thought when we're young.

Choosing faith—in any sense—is always contradictory to logic and reason. And intuition, or an educated guess, is still merely a guess, and it will always reside in the realm of faith and superstition.

If choosing a religion, logic would probably show you that you don't need one in the first place.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by apushforenlightment

Teaching a dog how to behave can also be seen as education. Are you free in your mind or are you a pet? Namaste

What an ironic thing for somebody who thinks the creator of the universe came down to Earth, pointed at a Human child and said, "kill that for me", to say to somebody who thinks its a load of rubbish.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

No offense to you, but I let out an audible chuckle after reading that.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I choose a relationship with Jesus and our Father over religious man-made traditions and is based not only on faith but on logic, science, and history.

Logically, a live dog is better than a dead lion and live men don't sacrifice their lives for the sake of a dead man. Jesus is alive, not dead.

My scientific observation of the human condition is that we all sin, we are all selfish to a fault and have fallen short of what it means to be above the petty materialism of this world. Without God and the objective truth set forth by a creator, my life would only hold intrinsic value to me and to no other much less all of humanity. When relative humanism rules instead of objective truth, our lives only become worth what someone will pay for us on the slave market and yet even today we are all slave to some master whether it be money, our emotional selves and desires, a false god who we do not know, some philosophy that holds no tangible promise of love or salvation, or the one true and living God.

Historically, Christianity as a "relationship" with our Father apart from the traditions of man unto "religion" exists in no small part because of the faith previous generations found through the Word of God presented unto them by apostles, that was presented unto them by the disciples who walked with Jesus, the embodiment of the Word of God. And they all gave up their lives and fortunes and selfishness unto torturous deaths so that today we might continue in the faith of what in real reality happened.

The High Priest of the day said it best when he spoke privately to the other priests saying, "...Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men, [the apostles]. For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought. After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed. And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God." Acts 5:35-39

The logic, undeniable, The science, evident. The history, actual.

No other religion or relationship provides what Jesus offers to you and me at this very moment. Til you are blue in the face, one can rail against men and their actions; rail righteously against the inquisition, the catholic church, bible thumpers, your parents, man's traditions and hypocrisies, even rail against all Christianity as a mere religion but there is no railing that holds true against the Truth of Christ Jesus in his person, ministry, and as the one and only who ever had and maintained God's Holy Spirit unto death without sinning.

Science, history, and logic all speak clearly. Jesus is alive, and mankind needs our Father's love as much for life as a newborn needs the love of its parents to survive.

I choose Jesus.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumSeeker

. . . to determine which is the real . . .
Entities, as in actual persons though they don't have to look like us exactly, meaning to be as physical as we are all the time, that would be the starting point, to me, and not some faceless "something" that you can not meet with and have a one to one conversation with like between two people.
After that, then what promotes the most good to other individuals on the entire planet.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Like teaching the faith based belief that chaos is the reason that everything is here.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

. . . belief that chaos is the reason that everything is here.

A usable order out of inert mass, resulting in the universe, with some residual side effects still lingering from its coming about, that we call, chaos, but hope it will eventually dissipate and stop causing problems.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

A usable order out of inert mass, resulting in the universe, with some residual side effects still lingering from its coming about, that we call, chaos, but hope it will eventually dissipate and stop causing problems.

Where did usable order come from in the evolutionary belief, for order only comes from intelligence.

A bomb going off in a print shop does not print a masterpiece work or any kind of knowledgeable piece for that matter.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

I thought you were talking about something else, not evolution.
As in where the universe came from.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join