It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Private number' Listened in to my house for 13 hours!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
There is possibly no conspiracy here but I thought it would be worth posting in case it had happened to anyone else or has been mentioned before.

Last night the wife and I had a friend round for dinner and at around 7pm the land line rang. The caller ID said 'Withheld' and I answered. There was nobody on the other end so after a couple of 'hello's' I hung up by pressing the red button and put the phone back in it's base. we carried on chatting and went to bed about 11pm (minus the friend :lol
. The phone didn't ring again after the last call and no outgoing calls were made.

This morning we got up as usual about 7am and we were eating breakfast at around 8am when my wife noticed the green light flashing. She picked it up and showed me the screen with a shocked look on her face. It said 'Private number' - Duration 13:06:27 and was still counting. We hung up.

I don't know how this could have happened because the last call we had was 'withheld' so if we had not hung up properly, it still would have said that. There were no more calls last night so how a private number had been active with the phone in it's base for 13 hours, I have no idea. Could this be a method of listening in by someone or is there a more likely explanation?

For the record, this is the phone we have - BT Synergy 5500

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Obviously, you're a terrorist!

You should try to figure out a way to get that number.
It's blocked but there are ways.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
Obviously, you're a terrorist!

You should try to figure out a way to get that number.
It's blocked but there are ways.

Looks like my cover has been blown! How would I get the number?

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I hav'nt got the same phone as you but this happens with my landline a lot
Get used to hanging up twice and making sure you hear the dialing tone

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
You see it as paranormal, the guy who called you sees it as a drunken mistake and a lengthy bill!

I'v been drunk many times sending texts or phoning my girlfriend when im stupidly drunk, i always phone this same number which is one digit different to my lady's - She answer and im like " jodie....JODIE i love you, sorry for arguing your my world!!! I LOVE YOUU" then she replies "I'm going to phone the police if you phone me again, this is harassment"

I send her text with very personal matters in them lol, she must think im nuts. .

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
i always thought it ment the other party havnt hung up themselves or accidently called you without realising?. If it happens again unplug the phone line, or you could get a really loud high pitched whistle ,something along them lines and burst there ear drums or get there attention

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Sounds like you have not pressed the hang up button correctly.

It could also have been a call center that had a software failure, ie, the software called your line, the call never came through to an agent and the line stayed active to you after you had hung up.

If someone wanted to listen into your home, there are far better ways and more discreet ways, I would not worry about anyone spying on you through your phone.

edit on 17-2-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
lol nOObUK ive been there. OP i think there is some type of telemarketing trick where an auto dailer calls random people and when someone answers it redirects you to the actual sales person. you might of hung up as it redirected you and somehow bypassed your attempt to hang up.(?) no idea to be honest. im just trying to imagine some guy in india telling his boss, im still on the phone with a customer, for 13 hours. lol that was probably his easiest day of work ever.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Hope it wasnt your wife's lover calling back after you went to sleep.

Then she forgot to hang the phone up properly.

Just kidding with you. Iam sure your wife is very faithful to you.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunchmanstan
Hope it wasnt your wife's lover calling back after you went to sleep.

Then she forgot to hang the phone up properly.

Just kidding with you. Iam sure your wife is very faithful to you.

Trust me, she has no need for alternative lovin'

edit on 17-2-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Something similar used to happen long long ago when my sister called from her (old) cellular phone and did not press the "end" button. The line simply froze and whatever we did - hanging up multiple times, disconnecting line cable, shouting very loudly out of shear desperation
- nothing could release the line until it was stopped at her phone.

Finally the family decided that a new phone is much cheaper then the combined bills so she only won from all this.
But the number shown was always hers, it never changed to "private".

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
You have 7 and a half days worth of food (including leftovers)?

That did it! You're a terrorist!

Actually, I think the line failed to disconnect properly.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This happens often from my Mum, she won't have her cell locked and a button will press and dial my number and I can hear whatever it is she is doing not realised that her phone had called me. On a landline it doesn't matter if you hang up the call isn't finished until both parties hang up. I would imagine it's probably a case of a miscall while in the pocket or something, bad news for they guy that called you and his bill.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
That's a weird one OP. I wish I knew more about phones.

A couple of weeks ago my phone rang late at night and I missed answering it by a second. So I dialled 1471 - the number that tells me who last called. A voicemail robot told me there was a message for me that was either garbled, blank, or unintelligible, (or words to that effect). Then it said press 1 to hear the message. I pressed the 1 and a voice said, the last number to call you was........... and it was my own telephone number! Twenty minutes later it happened again. I started looking through the house and in cupboards to see if we had an intruder.

Can someone explain that one? There's probably an easy explanation but it was a spooky experience at the time.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Its probably call center software. It rings round to see what time you are in , logs the time and then they sell the information to cold callers who will ring you at a later date. You probably didnt hang up properly.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

In the UK if the line goes quiet for a while it cuts out....

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

In the UK if the line goes quiet for a while it cuts out....

Well it doesn't does it or it wouldn't have been connected for 13 hours.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

hi there.. I did not release you were in the UK. That is what a phone engineer told me a few years back. Maybe things have changed... Idk)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Probably some telemarketer - they have software that makes it appear that they are calling from your landline number. Apparently makes it more likely that you will pick up and it's also damn creepy; same thing happened to me a few years ago.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
This happens often from my Mum, she won't have her cell locked and a button will press and dial my number and I can hear whatever it is she is doing ...

THAT could be a very awkward phone call....

<<   2 >>

join