It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Right Stuff - 1983

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This post could stand more than a BTS spot but... it really isn't intended to create debate or argument.

The occasion is the 50th anniversary of John Glenn's 3-orbit ride in the Friendship 7, Mercury spacecraft... and the movie to meet the requirements of this forum is, The Right Stuff.

Speaking for myself, I do remember that event and that there was a very tense few hours when the man who has been, in my opinion, correctly ID'd as America's last genuine hero, was a re-entry away from burning up in his ship. Fortunately for him and this nation, it turned out to be a technical glitch and his heatshield remained in position for the ride home.

On a quick sidenote, there is also an urge here to really pour out my feelings on the way our current president has been seemingly bent on gutting the US space program. One can't help but be saddened to see not only manned space projects hung out to dry, but now also our robotic, planetary efforts as well.

But... all of the above aside now, I would like to take this opportunity to recognize John Glenn, as well as all those who were a part of the early US space program; Projects Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. These were genuine American heroes who rode into the unknown... and who were patriots, explorers and role models for those who... like myself, grew up hoping one day to follow in their footsteps.

They did indeed have the right stuff.

Reference links:

Project Mercury
en.wikipedia.org...

Project Gemini
en.wikipedia.org...

Movie: The Right Stuff
www.imdb.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Great movie, a wonderful time in our history. I remember watching Walter Cronkite with each mission. My heart was in my throat when they were taking off, landing, or with the moon missions separating and docking.

I was fortunate enough to live next to the Johnson center in Houston during the 70's. Visited there often.

What courage those men and later women had, and so many wonderful technologies came out of the space program. S&F

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
One can't help but be saddened to see not only manned space projects hung out to dry, but now also our robotic, planetary efforts as well.

This movie always makes me nostalgic for when we actually did something. Something great, something daring and something awe-inspiring.

On a side note, the Bill Conti soundtrack is great.

join