It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aztec Stone Plaques Discovered at the Great Temple of Tenochtitlan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Twenty-three stone plaques have been discovered at the Great Temple of Tenochtitlan in Mexico. This is huge discovery because these are the first such pieces like this to be found at the site. They will be very important to archeology because of their value to Aztec mythology.

I've only been able to find a couple pictures of the newly discovered plaques, but I will continue searching for more.

latino.foxnews.com...

A total of 23 pre-Columbian stone plaques dating back approximately 550 years, with carvings illustrating such Aztec myths as the birth of the god of war Huitzilopochtli, were discovered by archaeologists in front of the Great Temple of Tenochtitlan in downtown Mexico City, the National Anthropology and History Institute, or INAH, said.

Bas-relief sculptures on slabs of tezontle (volcanic rock) relate the mythological origins of the ancient Mexica culture through representations of serpents, captives, ornaments, warriors and other figures, the INAH said in a statement.

The pre-Columbian remains are of great archaeological value because this is the first time such pieces have been found within the sacred grounds of Tenochtitlan and can be read "as an iconographic document narrating certain myths of that ancient civilization," archaeologist Raul Barrera said.

www.bt.com.bn...

The tiles on average measure 50 centimeters by 40 centimeters (19 by 16 inches).

Archeologists discovered the carvings in late 2011 near a circular platform decorated with serpent heads that was discovered in September 2011, the INAH said.

Experts are still trying to determine if markings that appear on some of the carvings refer to dates on the Aztec calendar, said archeologist Lorena Vazquez.

Tenochtitlan, founded around 1325, was built on an island in a shallow lake.

Spanish conquistadors stormed Tenochtitlan with their native allies in 1521, leveled the city, then built what is now Mexico City on top of it.

The remains of the main temple were discovered in mid 20th century, but a full excavation did not get under way until the 1980s.

www.koreaherald.com...
www.i4u.com...

Anytime that new discoveries are made regarding ancient ruins, especially South American ruins, I get very excited. There are so many mysteries about these sites, and someday they may discover something that will unlock those mysteries.

It will also be interesting to see if the markings on the plaques do refer to the Aztec calender or not.

edit on 16-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Incredible, beautiful carvings. I'm amazed as to why so many cultures around the world used to put so much effort into depicting serpents in their mythology! It's a great find.

new topics

join