It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret base at North pole-pirre reiss map?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i have read much information on hitlers base at the pole but does any one have any info on a map that was found in constantenople library-it apparentley shows antartica as a region having trees,lakes and mountains?
the map was supposedley drawn by a guy called Pirre reiss (unsure of spelling) i think around 1400c?

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Gee! whish all you people would stop coming through with so much info

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Antarctica - SOUTH Pole

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The Piri Reis map was found by accident at the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, Turkey in 1929. They were clearing the shelves in the library, prior to reconstruction work. The map was found crossways behind the books.

The map was part of a portolan, an early book similar to an atlas. Closely gaurded, state secret kind of thing. Other parts of the portolan indicate that Piri Reis drew it in 1512.

An unusual projection was used. Polar Stereographic. Put a globe down with Cairo at the top, then shift the lines of longitude and latitude around so Cairo is the pole. Cairo was probably the seat of the Caliph at the time.

Opinions vary widely. Some people claim 3.5% accuracy. Others say he put rivers where rivers don't exist.

Google "piri reis" for the usual internet overload of mangled and misinformation.

[edit on 17-9-2004 by Researcher]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsuribito
Antarctica - SOUTH Pole

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
i have read much information on hitlers base at the pole but does any one have any info on a map that was found in constantenople library-it apparentley shows antartica as a region having trees,lakes and mountains?
the map was supposedley drawn by a guy called Pirre reiss (unsure of spelling) i think around 1400c?

North Pole == Arctic
South Pole == Antarctic

This has been discussed here before ...

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Check out these existing threads on the topic and add any questions or comments in one of them, please.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

closing this thread

new topics

top topics

join